News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Taken from an article on AFL Website - Who Went Next...

2007 NAB AFL Draft: Patrick Veszpremi (pick No.11), Cyril Rioli (pick No.12)

When Hawthorn called Rioli's name in 2007 immediately after Sydney's pick, surely Swans officials murmured, 'What have we done', crossed a finger or two, and silently prayed. Of course, those prayers fell on deaf ears. Rioli would become one of the greatest small forwards of all time with three flags to his name and a Norm Smith Medal, Veszpremi would last just three years at Sydney before joining the Bulldogs and hanging up the boots at the end of 2013. Curiously, the Swans did pick up Nick Smith, Rioli's Scotch College teammate and captain, in the rookie draft. Just maybe they should have chatted with Nick about Cyril's talents prior to that national draft. - Cameron Noakes
I would've put Ling and Zack Bailey.

I would've put Ling and Zack Bailey.

The Brisbane recruiting boss was interviewed recently on AFL.com by Cal Twomey and Nat Edwards.

They asked him about Zac Bailey and he said they were confident he'd be there at their pick 15 as there hadn't been much interest in him.
Which given his later performances at AFL level is hard to believe.

However the AFL Prospectus said after his drafting;
Coming from the NT, Bailey was a hard player to judge because he had never played more than four games in any competition.

Mind you in the Academy series and later for the Allies,in 8 matches he averaged 17 disp (8 contested) and 5 clearances.
In the SANFL U-18s (3 games) he averaged 27 disp, 15 of which were contested.
And he has the burst of speed.

I wonder if the other recruiters were unsure what position he'd play at AFL level?
Player I really like watching and definitely smart recruiting from the Lions.

The Brisbane recruiting boss was interviewed recently on AFL.com by Cal Twomey and Nat Edwards.

They asked him about Zac Bailey and he said they were confident he'd be there at their pick 15 as there hadn't been much interest in him.
Which given his later performances at AFL level is hard to believe.

However the AFL Prospectus said after his drafting;

Mind you in the Academy series and later for the Allies,in 8 matches he averaged 17 disp (8 contested) and 5 clearances.
In the SANFL U-18s (3 games) he averaged 27 disp, 15 of which were contested.
And he has the burst of speed.

I wonder if the other recruiters were unsure what position he'd play at AFL level?
Player I really like watching and definitely smart recruiting from the Lions.
Definitely brilliant recruiting, Lions have found an absolute gun. I'm always impressed when I watch him.

Taken from an article on AFL Website - Who Went Next...

2007 NAB AFL Draft: Patrick Veszpremi (pick No.11), Cyril Rioli (pick No.12)

When Hawthorn called Rioli's name in 2007 immediately after Sydney's pick, surely Swans officials murmured, 'What have we done', crossed a finger or two, and silently prayed. Of course, those prayers fell on deaf ears. Rioli would become one of the greatest small forwards of all time with three flags to his name and a Norm Smith Medal, Veszpremi would last just three years at Sydney before joining the Bulldogs and hanging up the boots at the end of 2013. Curiously, the Swans did pick up Nick Smith, Rioli's Scotch College teammate and captain, in the rookie draft. Just maybe they should have chatted with Nick about Cyril's talents prior to that national draft. - Cameron Noakes
I think Veszpremi is playing at Pascoe Vale , had a few clubs

Here's the article: Cost of Living for Staff...are we calling it COLFS? :tongueoutv1: :whistle:

The AFL has given its two Sydney clubs the scope to spend extra money on staff outside the football department soft cap to help combat soaring house prices.
News Corp understands GWS Giants and Sydney Swans have been permitted to pay some staff an extra $7000 each as part of an accommodation allowance for next season.

Across approximately 20 staff at each club it is worth about an extra $140,000 per year outside the football department soft cap.

But the allowance must be club-funded and can only be used on full-time staff who earn under $250,000 a year

The assistance has been gratefully received by the two clubs, but discussions remain ongoing about whether more is required to help keep quality staff at the Swans and Giants.

Both clubs face a fight to retain staff in Sydney in the face of soaring house prices and increased cost of living expenses compared with other states such as South Australia, and regional areas such as Geelong.

The clubs believe it costs about 30 per cent more to live in Sydney than other areas.

After losing highly-rated assistant coach Lenny Hayes last year, the Giants were unable to keep assistant coach Adam Schneider, who last week left the game due, in part, to the cost of living in Sydney.

AFL news: Sydney, GWS Giants salary cap, bonus staff payments | Herald Sun

Here's the article

The AFL has given its two Sydney clubs the scope to spend extra money on staff outside the football department soft cap to help combat soaring house prices.
News Corp understands GWS Giants and Sydney Swans have been permitted to pay some staff an extra $7000 each as part of an accommodation allowance for next season.

Across approximately 20 staff at each club it is worth about an extra $140,000 per year outside the football department soft cap.

But the allowance must be club-funded and can only be used on full-time staff who earn under $250,000 a year

The assistance has been gratefully received by the two clubs, but discussions remain ongoing about whether more is required to help keep quality staff at the Swans and Giants.

Both clubs face a fight to retain staff in Sydney in the face of soaring house prices and increased cost of living expenses compared with other states such as South Australia, and regional areas such as Geelong.

The clubs believe it costs about 30 per cent more to live in Sydney than other areas.

After losing highly-rated assistant coach Lenny Hayes last year, the Giants were unable to keep assistant coach Adam Schneider, who last week left the game due, in part, to the cost of living in Sydney.

AFL news: Sydney, GWS Giants salary cap, bonus staff payments | Herald Sun
Thank you as always

20NOV21: Dalrymple Interview/AFL Website
Thanks to '86 for the heads up. Have a listen as Dalrymple talks to Ryan O'Keefe about Swans draft strategy.

Last edited:
Thanks to '86 for the heads up.

Definitely going for a midfielder with good skills based on that as while we have a good midfield right now there is no depth to it at all.

20NOV21: Will Gould lazybits/AFL Website
I would vote that Sheather debuts before Gould.
Sheather might have Ronke and possibly Taylor ahead of him.
Gould has two of Fox, O'Riordan and possibly O'Connor.
Depends a lot on circumstances I think. Single games will probably bring in the more experienced players, while a block absence might present a chance for the debutant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20NOV21: Kinnear Beatson Talks Pre-Draft/Swans Website
2021 Draft Preview with Kinnear Beatson

2021 Draft Preview with Kinnear Beatson

Pretty shrewd character, I like the ‘ take the best player‘ approach even if not preferred position.

did anyone watch it? got a summery?? or is there a way we can watch it now???
I caught the end of it. Missed the first 10 minutes or so.
Liked our pick selections for what we need for our list.
He said they had had talks with Bulldogs for their pick 23.
Would pick Darcy as pick 1 in an uncompromised draft,
Paddy would probable be rookied as a KPF and KPD.
Reid signed for 1 more year because he can play both ends and pinch hit in the ruck.

Kinnear talks about draft night and how the Dogs already have another team lined for up their pick #23! Only a quick soundbite, still waiting for the full podcast to be made available.

Absolutely sick of it and if your interested there are plenty of places to find info

It's still Swans related media.

If you hate it that much I suggest taking a few days off, there won't be much else to discuss.

It's still Swans related media.

If you hate it that much I suggest taking a few days off, there won't be much else to discuss.
Don't mind when it's being done and the couple of days after ,i just don't need to read what some junior journo thinks what will happen .Take a few days off where ? I don't go on the draft thread for those reasons , only look to see what the posting stats are , which in a couple of cases are remarkable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back