Our club in the Media
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Happy New Year and here's hoping the posts are as positive as they were last year!

Will Gould

It's the question many a Sydney fan wants answered: Where's Will? Will Gould was drafted in 2019 and - at 98kg with a good dose of senior footy under his belt in the SANFL and boasting leadership qualities (he was captain of SA's U18 team) - was already considered a ready-made AFL defender. Then, in the February of 2020, he made a clear 'pick me' statement with a bone-rattling bump on Matt de Boer during a practice match against the Giants. It was an eye-catching, all-round performance in this pre-season hitout and it looked like an AFL debut was around the corner. Fast forward two years and we're still waiting to see Gould at AFL level. The Swans have had plenty of opportunity to blood Gould as well, but have stubbornly refused, playing the delisted Kaiden Brand ahead of him this season. Gould will tip the scales at over 100kgs and turn 21 at the start of next year - it's time to let the big fella loose. - Cameron Noakes

Others yet to debut: Lachlan McAndrew, Barry O'Connor, Marc Sheather

Aside from JPK about to become the greatest EVER clearance winner.. and the greatest EVER contested ball winner.. and being co-captain..
Its teachings like this that make his resigning absolutely spot on.

** Must not bite **

Aside from JPK about to become the greatest EVER clearance winner.. and the greatest EVER contested ball winner.. and being co-captain..

Liking my post was a goad. Here is some homework.

* Is JPK also the greatest EVER clearance attender in the history of the game?
* How has that tracked in recent years?

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
This is one of the stupidities of the English language.
We already have GUH resigning him, don't need people doing it accidentally as well lol.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Happy New Year and here's hoping the posts are as positive as they were last year!

Will Gould

It's the question many a Sydney fan wants answered: Where's Will? Will Gould was drafted in 2019 and - at 98kg with a good dose of senior footy under his belt in the SANFL and boasting leadership qualities (he was captain of SA's U18 team) - was already considered a ready-made AFL defender. Then, in the February of 2020, he made a clear 'pick me' statement with a bone-rattling bump on Matt de Boer during a practice match against the Giants. It was an eye-catching, all-round performance in this pre-season hitout and it looked like an AFL debut was around the corner. Fast forward two years and we're still waiting to see Gould at AFL level. The Swans have had plenty of opportunity to blood Gould as well, but have stubbornly refused, playing the delisted Kaiden Brand ahead of him this season. Gould will tip the scales at over 100kgs and turn 21 at the start of next year - it's time to let the big fella loose. - Cameron Noakes

Others yet to debut: Lachlan McAndrew, Barry O'Connor, Marc Sheather
To be fair to Will. Our defence is very experienced and durable. Will is probably earmarked as the Rampe replacement player.
Rampe is rarely out of the side.
Lloyd and Cunningham are durable reliable and very good players. Rarely out of the side. Will can play small to medium. Rankin might be linked to this position.
Our half backs seem to be Blakey and McInerney. Will will not replace them.

Tough act for Will to break into. Which may not be a bad thing as he has reputedly has lost weight and has gained experience in the Sydney systems. I see no pressure on Will until an opportunity arises.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Liking my post was a goad. Here is some homework.

* Is JPK also the greatest EVER clearance attender in the history of the game?
* How has that tracked in recent years?
don't know what 'goad' means? I liked your post out of some weird kind of respect (if that makes sense?) Its clear you think he should've retired by now, but didn't bite..
cant be bothered doing the homework you've set me.. maybe you could just tell me the answers.
I guess if hes also the greatest EVER clearance attender (I'm assuming you mean stoppages), then to me that shows just how important / reliable / fit / healthy / strong / consistent hes been over his 270ish games.

Clearance and contested ball records are two BIG records to own. JPK has been an absolute legend and will go down in history as such.
My comment was more around his value to the team (especially the young mids) as a teacher and leader

don't know what 'goad' means? I liked your post out of some weird kind of respect (if that makes sense?) Its clear you think he should've retired by now, but didn't bite..
cant be bothered doing the homework you've set me.. maybe you could just tell me the answers.
I guess if hes also the greatest EVER clearance attender (I'm assuming you mean stoppages), then to me that shows just how important / reliable / fit / healthy / strong / consistent hes been over his 270ish games.

Clearance and contested ball records are two BIG records to own. JPK has been an absolute legend and will go down in history as such.
My comment was more around his value to the team (especially the young mids) as a teacher and leader

No question that JPK is an out and out legend.

Now was that so hard to say GUH.:p

meh... have always said this. I also think Goodes and Skilton are legends, but I want neither playing in 2022.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

JPK is a great player but IMO an interesting character as a leader.
Leads totally from the front "follow me" style. OK a lot of the time but not so much if you need to change direction or if someone needs support. Have said this before. Needs Parker and Rampe for balance.
I don't see him as a teacher or coach type, more as an exemplar. "Do what JPK does". Truly professional and incredibly hard working. In that photo I can see Chad thinking "gee I've got work to do to match that level of physicality". Useful for goal setting, but not so much in how to get there.
Totally love the guy and think he'll see the year out strongly but like most anyone he isn't all things to all people.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
Nothing to do with 2022 but it is the off-season. I hadn't seen this before, so apologies to those who have already seen this valiant attempt to answer the eternal question, WTF were they thinking in the last quarter of the 2005 GF. So many moments.

Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

Isaac Heeney in full flight
With the 2022 pre-season well and truly underway for the Sydney Swans, and the side’s first pre-season fixture quickly approaching, Isaac Heeney says it is about making every session count from here on in.
The team has returned to the training fields after a well deserved Christmas and New Years break and the emphasis on football drills has ramped up to kick off the year.
Heeney says the side is focused on improving each session and making the most of the pre-season they have remaining.
“The off-season was great but the boys are back, flying around and just excited to get stuck in,” Heeney said.
“We have games coming up soon so the team is extremely pumped for that.
“At this time of year, its about getting continuity with the team, staying on the track, getting the km in the legs and just ticking off session by session.
“The pre-season flies, it’s a tough period but it goes really quick so we need to make the most of each session.”

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

Wants more consistency in his game, notes he had a few games where he had a 'presence' but a few where he didn't.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

Wants more consistency in his game, notes he had a few games where he had a 'presence' but a few where he didn't.
Pretty mature outlook. Looking lively on the track. Going to be an interesting year with lots of competition up forward.

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty mature outlook. Looking lively on the track. Going to be an interesting year with lots of competition up forward.

Yep, i'm impressed by his desire to improve and acknowledgement on areas of improvement. I think before xmas or post season he personally worked with an agility coach to help his agility/mobility. Very encouraging signs, that's what I love seeing from younger players.

26JAN21: Swans Talk Lazybits/Various
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Suffice to say Horse is low on the pressure index

Seems like we aren't the only ones anticipating a big year from McInerney

31JAN22: Paddy McCartin/Multiple
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney