Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Well this thread is very wholesome atm.

Last year, before the season, we were struggling to fit players into the best 22, and I was suspicious.
It's much harder to fit a best 22 when we aren't watching players stink it up lol. But after the season started it became legitimately difficult to fit a best 22.

I think this year, no matter what, there will be players that we are suprised aren't in the team, but similar to last year, we will see a solidification of our team a few months in. I look forward to seeing who stands up.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I can predict how Heeney's "breakout year" will be regarded.

He'll either have 20+ possessions every week but "not kick enough goals", or he'll kick plenty of goals but "not get enough possessions."

Anyone expecting him to do both every week is literally expecting him to be Leigh Matthews in his prime (not that I saw him, but I have seen some of his figures.)

He'll never please some fans.
It'll be interesting to see what will be acceptable as a general consensus. Having a look at his stats last year, he had 6 games of 20+ disposals & in 5 of them scored at least 3+ goals. When he got 20+ disposals and kicked 3+ goals, we won 5 of those games with the one loss v GWS in the EF.

I would be stoked if he could hit 20+ disposals and 3+ goals more often with his likely increased midfield role. Personally think he'll just attend more CBA and then play up forward/forward half in general play, similar to Dusty/Stringer. He's shown he can definitely get the possessions and hit the scoreboard.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt

COLA
Mills and Harley comment
Cornes is a supporter.. King is a Turkey

I admit I'm one of those who've asked the question 'what is the point of Kane Cornes?' but the guy is a walking megaphone and here he has boiled the problem down to two or three numbers. It's a bit left field to suggest the AFL buy some houses - why not just have a housing allowance that is called 'housing allowance' to Sydney-based players. Most idiots who complained about COLA including the former AFL chairman think it went directly to the player payments pool rather than paid by the AFL as an individual loading. Just keep it simple.

Plus if I were the Swans I would be quietly pushing journos towards Dean Cox. He's a legend of the game, is a long-term Swans assistant coach and that he and his family have to rent is a powerful illustration of the problem. Not to forget the departures of Aliir, Dawson, Hewett in 12 months.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I admit I'm one of those who've asked the question 'what is the point of Kane Cornes?' but the guy is a walking megaphone and here he has boiled the problem down to two or three numbers. It's a bit left field to suggest the AFL buy some houses - why not just have a housing allowance that is called 'housing allowance' to Sydney-based players. Most idiots who complained about COLA including the former AFL chairman think it went directly to the player payments pool rather than paid by the AFL as an individual loading. Just keep it simple.

Plus if I were the Swans I would be quietly pushing journos towards Dean Cox. He's a legend of the game, is a long-term Swans assistant coach and that he and his family have to rent is a powerful illustration of the problem. Not to forget the departures of Aliir, Dawson, Hewett in 12 months.
All this is true.
In addition, the northern clubs lack the avenues to funnel additional money into families outside the salary cap such as "ambassadorships", jobs for partners, media work, ad work etc etc.
This is probably even bigger and allows legacy clubs to pay unders within the cap.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Agree re Cornes.. cant stand the bloke.. a walking megaphone is a great description.. But it was King that suggested the AFL buy houses.. what an idiot.
And agree in keeping things simple.. call it a 'housing allowance' - money to be spent on housing alone. Pretty simple solution.

Mills on Review of the finals loss

I've always loved how technical Mills has been willing to get in interviews. He is one of the rare footy players who assumes the listeners/readers and the interviewer has a reasonably high understanding of footy and speaks accordingly. I'd assume that's a big part of why he's had leader written all over him from day one. If he's speaking about this stuff in media appearances, you can imagine what he'd be like in team meetings & reviews.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Agree re Cornes.. cant stand the bloke.. a walking megaphone is a great description.. But it was King that suggested the AFL buy houses.. what an idiot.
And agree in keeping things simple.. call it a 'housing allowance' - money to be spent on housing alone. Pretty simple solution.
Can't stand him , but he was right this week about women's sport . Off topic by me . I now wait.

04FEB2022: Inside Sydney Ep 4

Inside Sydney: Episode 4

This week we have a behind the scenes look within the four walls of the club, speaking to Damian Raper, Zoe Vicic and Rob Inness.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

COLA
Mills and Harley comment
Cornes is a supporter.. King is a Turkey

COLA will never again be introduced. it's equitable but that's never been a motivation for AFL who are more concerned with having a national competition providing ONLY a VIC team wins it. COLA was accepted before but that was when they thought we couldn't win it.

COLA will never again be introduced. it's equitable but that's never been a motivation for AFL who are more concerned with having a national competition providing ONLY a VIC team wins it. COLA was accepted before but that was when they thought we couldn't win it.

The AFL would give their left nut and wife's breasts to see GC or GWS get a flag.

The pro VFL stuff is just driven from the media and the "MCG" agreement.

Issue is if COLA returns the media will have a field day

Last edited:
05FEB22: Callum Mills interview/SEN
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Audio from the Mills SEN interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back