News Swans Talk in the Media 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
02JAN23: Swans Daily Media
Swans Daily Media

Paywalled article

Last edited:

Malcolm Blight suggesting Horse speaks to other coaches (Choco Williams, Leon Cameron) who were also trounced in a GF;
I know John Longmire actually reasonably well, I would go and actually talk to two or three of those coaches - and I’m sure they’d give him the time - to actually say, ‘what do you reckon we did wrong or right, after those floggings in Grand Finals? What could we have done or what would you have done differently from what you’ve learnt?’

Blight's observation on the GF;
“They weren’t ready… you know deep down after (the game), the other team were so much better, so much more organised in lots of ways and mainly in games played,” Blight said on SEN’s Sportsday SA.

Both seem reasonable, sensible observations.

Malcolm Blight suggesting Horse speaks to other coaches (Choco Williams, Leon Cameron) who were also trounced in a GF;

Blight's observation on the GF;

Both seem reasonable, sensible observations.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only team to have bounced back from a GF drubbing to make finals the following year was us, under Longmire. Pretty sure that means he's the only one that actually has a clue how to do it well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only team to have bounced back from a GF drubbing to make finals the following year was us, under Longmire. Pretty sure that means he's the only one that actually has a clue how to do it well.
And we went out in straight sets FWIW

And we went out in straight sets FWIW
Sure, but there's some moving of the goalposts there. The concern is not how deep into finals we go - even following a successful grand final, you can still go out in straight sets (Geelong, Hawthorn, Melbourne). The concern is if we will make finals at all, given there is precedent for a capitulation of team and culture post-GF drubbings. Given that Horse avoided that fate and got us into a top four spot where a straight sets exit was even a possibility - and we were then able to build and improve again the following year - I think we're in the best hands possible when it comes to navigating what will probably be a challenging season.

Or what if he did pretty much the same as Williams and Cameron and we just got lucky?

Hubris is not generally conducive to successful outcomes.

You can learn from the failures of others as well as their (and your) success.

TBH with Cameron on staff I'd be surprised if Horse hasn't already spoken to him about GWS' GF loss and discussed the aftermath of that loss.

I'm fully in agreement with what caesar88 says above "I think we're in the best hands possible when it comes to navigating what will probably be a challenging season.
But that doesn't mean as a professional coach he should ever stop seeking to learn and improve, both himself and the team.

Last edited:
To be honest.. I'm not at all worried about the granny impacting this season.
Im sure Horse has spoken to many people about how best to approach it. Ive absolute confidence in the Swans culture to allow players and staff be able to absorb and grow from the granny. Ive absolute confidence that the young list is malleable enough to move past this (massive) hurdle, and even grow from it.
Ive watched the Swans navigate the hurdles they've confronted over the past few years - covid, rebuild, hubs, deaths, births, marriages etc etc (better than all other clubs), and not just get over them, but turn them into a positive. Wouldn't surprise if this was the case again.

Can the Swans win it all this year? we'll wait and see.. but if they dont, it won't be because of last years Granny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne bounced back in '89 to be 4th. Bulldogs scraped into the 8 in 2022

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like Gerard Whateley are running the SEN polls, no signs of the Chad as an option.

I'd probs go out of these 5, 1. Serong 2. De Koning 3. Anderson 4. Green 5. Jackson
View attachment 1581678

1. Warner
2. Green
3. Jackson
4. de Koning
5. Serong
6. Anderson

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks 'eh.... I was certain he had the capacity of a 9 year old... but 12! Respect

nah that is Prince Billy. Haroldo as a cross, born the wrong side of the blanket, is a bit clueier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back