News Swans Talk in the Media Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless we get a bolter it looks like our Sydney Academy kids next year are not going to be top line junior talent.

Possibly the reason why we were not keen to go into deficit next year as our first couple of picks at least are going to be live.

They don't. When our midfield collapses they collapse on mass. No one stands up and says "this is not acceptable", instead they almost seem to give up.
Don't agree with this at all. Sometimes teams have bad games, the way youre talking is like they pick and choose when they perform. I'll give you the hot tip, you don't make top 4 for as long as we have with a midfield who can't react to pressure.

They don't. When our midfield collapses they collapse on mass. No one stands up and says "this is not acceptable", instead they almost seem to give up.

Seriously.
What i witness is the exact opposite. Sometimes, we lose because the other team is white hot - usually Hawthorn.
Other times - we get an 18-6 free kick count (in one half) against us in a tight game - which helps us to lose.

But saying our midfield "collapses" is absolute rubbish. Do you honestly mean that? Or is bashing one's own club the latest vogue thing for supporters in recent years?

I understand supporters questioning players skills, attitude etc. Likewise with gameplan, list management etc. The players & club shouldn't be immune to criticism. The majority of people on here do that the majority of the time. However, I reckon if I was standing in the middle of the SCG, pressure on, I'd want guys like Hanners, JPK, Mitchell and Parker around me.

Soft? Nope.
Brave? Bloody oath.
Selfish? Not likely.

At the very least, their premiership medals prove they can handle the heat at the very highest level. To argue otherwise, particulalry in a broad/generalised way, is either just looking for reactions or is so over simplified that the basis of the criticism is over exaggerated.

Of course they feel pressure, they are human. And yes, sometimes it impacts their output/performance. However to broadly say "they collapse on mass. No one stands up and says this is not acceptable" is ridiculous IMO.

Our good players don't play well under pressure? Give me a spell....

If you look I said senior. Some of our senior players are susceptible to intense pressure as applied by Hawks and Freo. Otherwise why would Lyon or Clarko bother applying that sort of pressure to bully our so called good players. Jack and Macca are not what I'd call captains who have a huge influence on games when the chips are down. In fact those two were conspicuous in their absence in the 2014 GF mate. Grundy fumbles under intense pressure so does Teddy. Even Smithy fumbled in big games last year and that is unusual. I like Reg as he is so reliable. But like many of our senior players last year the only games he made mistakes in generally were the huge ones.You can live in a fantasy world if you wis, if our coaches do we will win a premiership in another 40 years.

The intensity of Bullies, Freo (Round 4), Hawks, even Essendon in the first half, Eagles, Tigers (I think the same of these guys), killed us off. We were found wanting in the games against our biggest rivals for the premiership due to our inability to withstand huge pressure is worrying. If it were just the young players it could be fixed but it isn't.

If you want to be sarcastic ask yourself 'Who in the eight did we actually beat last year?' Hawks, then in the return match the annihilated us, north (big deal), Crows (were never contenders). So of the teams in the eight we only beat North & Crows in reality as the last round is more important than the first round. but we did manage to beat everyone outside the eight although cats beat us in the second half of the season. I think 2015 we were pretty ordinary. Our handball game did not stand up and our disposal was pretty ordinary. you'd expect us to beat the teams outside the eight and we did. But not always in good style. There were games when we were bloody terrible but still managed to beat crap teams, Lions & Suns come to mind. Our game against carlton was forgettable and the Melbourne game showed just how easy it is to go to sleep and not be a contender. We failed to kill games off and our lack of intensity and lack of concentration let sides back into contests that should have been well and truly over. Yes we killed most of these sides off in the last quarters but where was the intensity in the second and third quarters of most games. We failed to deliver four quarter games in almost every game this year. When we were against good opposition we folded except for the Freo matches, the last we should have won with a young team. Even against the Bullies we just watched and waited for it to all happen and their intensity caught us off guard. They steamrolled us and we didn't give a whimper.

Next season we have to get the psychology right and produce the mongrel to win the tough games against the best opposition not just the easybeats.

Seriously.
What i witness is the exact opposite. Sometimes, we lose because the other team is white hot - usually Hawthorn.
Other times - we get an 18-6 free kick count (in one half) against us in a tight game - which helps us to lose.

But saying our midfield "collapses" is absolute rubbish. Do you honestly mean that? Or is bashing one's own club the latest vogue thing for supporters in recent years?

Last season if you look at the replays as I have you will find our players go missing for huge periods of a game. A half in fact in some games. The standard of our play descends to unacceptably low levels. This is not just in the losing games it was in the winning games as well. Against poor opposition you might get away with poor disposal, poor options, poor goal kicking and poor defending but against the best you are cactus.

These debates are funny.

For what it is worth I just wish jack had learned to kick on his right - on more than one occasion against the hawks his step back onto his left has cost us a goal or two. For a guy who plays a bit as a crumbing forward it is a real impediment

These debates are funny.

For what it is worth I just wish jack had learned to kick on his right - on more than one occasion against the hawks his step back onto his left has cost us a goal or two. For a guy who plays a bit as a crumbing forward it is a real impediment

I wish he'd learn how to find a forward with his kicks out of the centre square. Nearly every time he just kicks and doesn't seem to be bothered picking out someone to kick to. Kizza is hot and cold disposal wise. but more cold.

Gonna be some tough calls in about 18 years time with all these boys coming through at tge same time. But you can pencil in Kennedy now.

The Swans’ recent history of potential father and son selections is set to continue with Richards wife Ella expecting a baby boy next week. Ben McGlynn, Josh Kennedy, Rhyce Shaw and Heath Grundy all celebrated the birth of sons this year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/190eea8d647734268bd1d5ee437663c7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well unless Longmire actually changes the gameplan in 2016 I don't rate us as a premiership contender either.
He not only needs a better game plan he needs to get the best out of his players. We (should) have the best forward line in the comp but we have struggled to score.

Well unless Longmire actually changes the gameplan in 2016 I don't rate us as a premiership contender either.

agreed. The game-plan involves bombing to Tip & Bud. bud has never been a pack mark player. Reid is far better. We can't continue to waste so much ball going into the forward 50. If he doesn't do something about the game-plan soon we are cactus.

Or if we do bomb it forward, actually have those quality small forwards to crumb! ... In more recent times, I was reminded of that by James Rose's agility in his first quarter of AFL footy.

That other blonde haired kid looks pretty handy in this facet of the game as well...;)

I don't remember Hird speaking out at the time when it was an hot issue.

His beef is with the AFL and the Goodes booing gives him the opportunity to take the high moral ground against the AFL, referencing lack of action by "....people in authority" and "..people in power".

I'd suggest Hird's statement is less about Adam/racism and far more about his feud with AFL HQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back