Toast Swans to lose 4 premiership heroes and 1000+ games to retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Now Kizza's officially called it quits, thought that the following deserved a thread:

Jarrad McVeigh - 324 games, 2012 premiership captain, 2013 AA, 2 x Bob Skilton medallist
Kieren Jack - 253 games, 2012 premiership player, 2013 AA, Bob Skilton medallist
Heath Grundy - 254 games, 2012 premiership player
Nick Smith - 211 games, 2012 premiership player, 2014 AA

End of an era.

4 harder nuts or better club men you would not find and absolutely criminal that Reg was never rewarded with an AA selection.

As others have pointed out, only McVeigh would have been best 22 next year so won't be a huge impact on the field, but nonetheless is still a huge loss for the club.

Last edited:

Sad, end of an era. I recall all their debut games. McVeigh was my father's whipping boy in the mid 00s before becoming a star all around the ground (and leader at that). Jack's electrifying form in 2010 was something to behold at the time. Grundy's early days as a key forward. Nick Smith quietly working his way into best-22. All great memories.

Sad, end of an era. I recall all their debut games. McVeigh was my father's whipping boy in the mid 00s before becoming a star all around the ground (and leader at that). Jack's electrifying form in 2010 was something to behold at the time. Grundy's early days as a key forward. Nick Smith quietly working his way into best-22. All great memories.

Are you bedford son?

Which year did Grundy really get hard done by in missing out on AA?

He had multiple great years but I don't know of a year where he was such A standout that it was "criminal" he wasn't selected. He had multiple years as a top 4 or 5 defender I'd agree but top 2? None spring to mind.

Which year did Grundy really get hard done by in missing out on AA?

He had multiple great years but I don't know of a year where he was such A standout that it was "criminal" he wasn't selected. He had multiple years as a top 4 or 5 defender I'd agree but top 2? None spring to mind.
Wouldnt say it was criminal but 2016 many people had him pegged for a spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May have just been the few Swans fans I know, but my memory is Grundy wasn’t really rated during the first half of his career before becoming a supremely reliable defender after that.

May have just been the few Swans fans I know, but my memory is Grundy wasn’t really rated during the first half of his career before becoming a supremely reliable defender after that.
He wasn’t. And when he first moved down back his fumbles in front of goal were heart in mouth territory terrifying.

Now Kizza's officially called it quits, thought that the following deserved a thread:

Jarrad McVeigh - 324 games, 2012 premiership captain, 2013 AA, 2 x Bob Skilton medallist
Kieren Jack - 253 games, 2012 premiership player, 2013 AA, Bob Skilton medallist

End of an era.

4 harder nuts or better club men you would not find and absolutely criminal that Reg was never rewarded with an AA selection.

As others have pointed out, only McVeigh would have been best 22 next year so won't be a huge impact on the field, but nonetheless is still a huge loss for the club.
Apparently this has never happened before?
Of that list McVeigh was the best.
Jack? I am surprised he actually lasted this long.
Solid player at best, but hey...Sydney....
Wide eyed media spotlight....y'all.

Jack? I am surprised he actually lasted this long.
Solid player at best, but hey...Sydney.....

His peak didn't last long (similar to Ryan Griffen) but at his best he was one of the best mids in the game as his 2013 All Australian selection attests to.

End of an era.

Great list of heart and soul players right there

Any club would be proud to have them

Dont be surprised if you see Macca as head coach of an AFL club soon enough. One of the best footy brains of recent times.

When you feel like you need some backbone, think of him. Losing his daughter at 1 month old, then playing again a week later and 2 finals after that. That is real strength :thumbsu:
That game when Syd beat Geel after they had 29 straight wins at the cattery will remain a historical game at our club forever. Noone will forget.

Along with Rampe more recently, Grundy and Smith formed an enviable back 3. One of the strongest last lines so far this century.

Yeah it really is the end of an era for us. Great memories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back