Prediction Swans Top Four.. GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll say it again, should we beat Hawthorn, I expect us to make the the Grand Final.

The best possible result for us would be to verse Richmond in round 1 of the finals. Assuming we lose, we don't get to face them unless we make the grand final.

Richmond are outstanding, they play sensational footy and every player looks like a star. Their fast pace and use of running in numbers and pushing the ball through the middle is so effective and no other team does it as well as them. They have a system that is perfectly built for every single player in that team. They're young and almost every kid has skill and can run lights out. It took them a while, but their team is perfectly fitted to a really effective system, and they've been super lucky with not recieving too many injuries.

However, this season has shown every other team besides Richmond can lose and each team has their nights off and lack of consistency. It's anyone's game, and at the end of the day, Sydney with the leadership and experience should be able to get the job done and push for another grand final.

The last three games we've finally shown some consistency. Aliir and Buddy are flying, the midfield are winning the ball, the returns of Keiran Jack, Hanners, Jones and McVeigh have proven big with all four putting in big contributions. Our only downside is our slow starts to the game and having to play catch up after the first quarter.

Come finals time, assuming we stay healthy, Reid, Grundy and Melican will be massive boosts, even if just one of them comes back. Hopefully Nick Smith as well but he looks to be out a little longer:(

Watching us play these last few weeks, we have confidence. At times we looked similar to Richmond when we decided to go through the middle and take it on. We'd have blown GWS off the park if not for multiple set shots missed.

I stick with my original prediction that created this thread. Sydney to make the grand final and play Richmond (Assuming we stay healthy).

Richmond are the best team going round at the moment, but the equation is simple if we win the next 4 will be premiers and every team is capable of having an off day lets hope its not us.
Exactly right! Everything resets after round 23, we all get a week off, and then we go again for a four week stretch!

Anything can happen and pretty often does, really... think 05, 12, 16, 17! Cause let's face it, Richmond finished 3rd with the 5th best % and Adelaide were on top, 6% points clear of their nearest rival.

Anything can happen!!!

PS. Love your new avatar! :)

I wonder if they’ll bring Reid straight in for week 1 of the finals. Says he’s 1-2 weeeks away, I reckon they could do some significant training over that period and might not muck around with the neafl. Maybe depends on top 4 or not.

I hold no delusions (followed this club too long to count chickens).

I simply have great respect for what we've built in the last 20 years.

Great teams have great systems that all players understand from 1st gamers to 300 gamers. When it hits the fan belief in your teammates and some solid onfield leadership means the ship rights itself under pressure; and players can have faith that working on the indicators the coaches give them during the breaks will be enough to get them over the line.

That's really it. Clarko's no genius. Nor is Horse. They both just have wonderful man-management abilities to pull everyone together for the common purpose, communicate clearly what each role onfield is, give honest feedback (brutally at times perhaps) and with the coaching staff employ great teaching skills to get the most out of draftees. The senior players reinforce all this by doing the same and keeping all the lego pieces in place and running the culture aspect of the club by demanding the non negotiables are maintained.

Then players take care of the rest onfield. Or don't. Either way it doesn't chsnge who we are. Depth and talent isn't something you can really coach or lead. You have it or you don't.

Pretty sure our gameplan is very well understood, and all players have bought in.

Does that make us a great team?

Well we certainly have shown an elite ability to absorb pressure and a penchent for turning games around that looked like getting away from us.

Does all this mean it's out of bounds to comment on the adjustments we see in-game as supporters (setups, matchups etc). Nope. That's all fair game.

Regardless, we're a nightmare match up in finals, I reckon. So we'll be up to our ears in this series until we suddenly aren't.

Doesn't mean any of this will happen in finals. Just that we know it can happen with a bit of hard yakka.

I wonder if they’ll bring Reid straight in for week 1 of the finals. Says he’s 1-2 weeeks away, I reckon they could do some significant training over that period and might not muck around with the neafl. Maybe depends on top 4 or not.
I think there is a NEAFL finals game on the week of the bye, they would play him then if they can, I reckon... but I'd be amazed if he wasn't brought in at all

Regardless, we're a nightmare match up in finals, I reckon. So we'll be up to our ears in this series until we suddenly aren't.

Doesn't mean any of this will happen in finals. Just that we know it can happen with a bit of hard yakka.

Agreed with the whole post, but 100% with you on this! There will be plenty of players/teams out there going we just need to avoid the Swans...

I think there is a NEAFL finals game on the week of the bye, they would play him then if they can, I reckon... but I'd be amazed if he wasn't brought in at all
Yeah just heard Harley on SEN saying that they planned to play Reid in that final if he’s fit. Would be such a great inclusion for us. Fingers crossed!!!!

Yeah just heard Harley on SEN saying that they planned to play Reid in that final if he’s fit. Would be such a great inclusion for us. Fingers crossed!!!!
Woohoo! Great news!

You can’t underestimate experience in finals

If all our senior guys are fit and we don’t get injuries we are a big threat

It’s why I’d put reg back in too, especially as Smith is out down back

Franklin Kennedy Parker hanners etc etc these guys know how to win finals

Second place is still on the cards boys!

snkjrrqpk0h11.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want richmond 1st final at the G.. I think we could bring them back down to earth.. I'm more nervous about hawks on Saturday.. If we get thru into top 4 the pressure will be off somewhat.

As much as I've found Sydney to be unconvincing this season, the results against the rest of the top 8 are quite impressive:

Richmond (138.3%) – 7/9 wins
West Coast (120.8%) - 6/8 wins
Collingwood (120.7%) - 1/8 wins
Hawthorn (120.5%) - 4/8 wins
Sydney (110.6%) – 8/10 wins
Melbourne (129.8%) – 1/7 wins
GWS (118.1%) - 2/8 wins
Geelong (125.7%) – 5/11 wins

Certainly suggests our best is good enough to beat most. Tigers on the MCG would obviously be a challenge. Would be great to beat the Hawks and get the chance to see how it plays out!

As much as I've found Sydney to be unconvincing this season, the results against the rest of the top 8 are quite impressive:

GWS (118.1%) - 2/8 wins

Certainly suggests our best is good enough to beat most. Tigers on the MCG would obviously be a challenge. Would be great to beat the Hawks and get the chance to see how it plays out!

I think a lot depends on how much damage is done in the finals themselves. Confronting high pressure finals footy on consecutive weeks takes it's toll even for a team like Richmond and can dent chances

I think a lot depends on how much damage is done in the finals themselves. Confronting high pressure finals footy on consecutive weeks takes it's toll even for a team like Richmond and can dent chances
That's true. Same could be said for Sydney who will effectively have played 4 finals leading in to the pre-finals bye.

GWS (118.1%) - 2/8 wins

GWS is interesting but who says a easy draw doesn't pay off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back