Prediction Swans Top Four.. GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

He always goes really well fresh too
I sat along from all the injured players and ressies at Spotless on Saturday and Reid was freezing his **** off with a scarf wrapped around his head.

It’s nice that they sit out in the crowd but considering how important Reid is to us and how much coin he’s on, I didn’t think a bit of proactive management would have gone astray. Can’t imagine sitting in an arctic wind for three hours was helping his recovery.

I sat along from all the injured players and ressies at Spotless on Saturday and Reid was freezing his **** off with a scarf wrapped around his head.

It’s nice that they sit out in the crowd but considering how important Reid is to us and how much coin he’s on, I didn’t think a bit of proactive management would have gone astray. Can’t imagine sitting in an arctic wind for three hours was helping his recovery.
Tell him to grow his hair ;)

Yeah - he was inspirational in an era when there wasn't the expectation of the Swans being a power team and every win built hope of that flag. I think I was a better supporter then too.
Hard to believe that is 18 years ago

That would be a fairytale.
We would finally have our answer to the best of 3 weagles question
We'll have 1 player from the 2006 Grand Final and they'll have 0. Totally different era

Before we go getting excited about what we can do, let’s not forget that we may end up taking 5 players into the finals who have never played finals before. Four of them would be under 21 and one of them would be the youngest player in the competition.

That’s a pretty reasonable chunk of our side that could (understandably) go missing. Leaves a lot of weight on the shoulders of our senior players who have been just as inconsistent this year as the youngsters.

Wherever we finish (probably fifth), I’d just like to see us play with belief and enthusiasm. How encouraging would that be? Richmond last year were not the best or the most talented side but they had the hunger and just willed themselves to score, to be ferocious at the ball and the player, to try and kick goals to win instead of playing it safe. Their whole team brought in and everyone did their role.

Even if we did that, I still think it would only get us to a semi final or a surprise prelim, but at least we’d be going out with a bang and a blueprint for how we want to play in 2019. That’s my philosophy for this finals series anyway - just give a taste of finals action to the core group who will all be crucial to our next flag tilt. Anything extra would be a delightful bonus!

Before we go getting excited about what we can do, let’s not forget that we may end up taking 5 players into the finals who have never played finals before. Four of them would be under 21 and one of them would be the youngest player in the competition.

That’s a pretty reasonable chunk of our side that could (understandably) go missing. Leaves a lot of weight on the shoulders of our senior players who have been just as inconsistent this year as the youngsters.

Wherever we finish (probably fifth), I’d just like to see us play with belief and enthusiasm. How encouraging would that be? Richmond last year were not the best or the most talented side but they had the hunger and just willed themselves to score, to be ferocious at the ball and the player, to try and kick goals to win instead of playing it safe. Their whole team brought in and everyone did their role.

Even if we did that, I still think it would only get us to a semi final or a surprise prelim, but at least we’d be going out with a bang and a blueprint for how we want to play in 2019. That’s my philosophy for this finals series anyway - just give a taste of finals action to the core group who will all be crucial to our next flag tilt. Anything extra would be a delightful bonus!
Not long ago who had us winning it convincely

Not long ago who had us winning it convincely

I did but not sure of the relevance. Because I only had two reasons for such a belief:

1. A crazy feeling I carried for a few weeks where I just felt like this year was gonna be something special. (I had a similar feeling that Bin Laden was going to be captured for two straight weeks leading up to his capture, hence I give strange “feelings” more credence than others.)

2. I couldn’t believe that our patchy form wouldn’t lead to a surging comeback to our best. I felt like by round 18 we would start really getting our **** together after a very rough season. And then in round 18 we lost to the worst side in the comp and that’s when I was certain this would not be a Bin Laden feeling 2.0.

Nuh-uh, get excited!!!

Absolutely no point worrying about what might happen, we've made it into the finals!! Anything can happen from there...

The entire squad and coaching staff contributed to us getting here. Sure there were a few (very few) players who were not called up at any point over the season, but they still contributed at practice, in team meetings etc. Anyone can have a bad game, regardless of age or experience, just look at 14... two bad games in a run of, what, 30 or so?? There's no protecting against disappointment and loss, it just has to be lived through when it arrives. No matter how you try to rationalise it in advance to mitigate it's impact, it will still crush you into the dirt...

So enjoy every second, get excited, cheer loudly, live and breathe the red and the white! Ride the roller coaster right to the end!!! You just never know which way it will go!!!

271471.jpg
351499.jpg

Nuh-uh, get excited!!!

Absolutely no point worrying about what might happen, we've made it into the finals!! Anything can happen from there...

The entire squad and coaching staff contributed to us getting here. Sure there were a few (very few) players who were not called up at any point over the season, but they still contributed at practice, in team meetings etc. Anyone can have a bad game, regardless of age or experience, just look at 14... two bad games in a run of, what, 30 or so?? There's no protecting against disappointment and loss, it just has to be lived through when it arrives. No matter how you try to rationalise it in advance to mitigate it's impact, it will still crush you into the dirt...

So enjoy every second, get excited, cheer loudly, live and breathe the red and the white! Ride the roller coaster right to the end!!! You just never know which way it will go!!!

271471.jpg
351499.jpg

i'm excited :sydney: :handwaving::clapping: :largeredcircle::mwcirlce:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did but not sure of the relevance. Because I only had two reasons for such a belief:

1. A crazy feeling I carried for a few weeks where I just felt like this year was gonna be something special. (I had a similar feeling that Bin Laden was going to be captured for two straight weeks leading up to his capture, hence I give strange “feelings” more credence than others.)

2. I couldn’t believe that our patchy form wouldn’t lead to a surging comeback to our best. I felt like by round 18 we would start really getting our **** together after a very rough season. And then in round 18 we lost to the worst side in the comp and that’s when I was certain this would not be a Bin Laden feeling 2.0.
I still have that feeling - had it all year (even after The suns), just that nagging thing in the back of my brain telling me we will still be on the park on the last saturday in September.

Of course I've never had a prophecy come true in my life, but there's always a first time!

I still have that feeling - had it all year (even after The suns), just that nagging thing in the back of my brain telling me we will still be on the park on the last saturday in September.

Of course I've never had a prophecy come true in my life, but there's always a first time!

It's really a great feeling, especially when your chosen prophecy is a terrorist getting justice! Hopefully your prophecy comes true and you can experience it for yourself :)

Before the 2005 season, when the draw came out, for some reason I decided to highlight & mark up (i.e. draw everywhere) on Grand Final day in my school/uni diary. Things like "go swannies" "up the bloods" etc... No idea why. Just saw the date GF was on & thought I'd mark it in my diary. Never did that before or after.

It looks like I've gone back after the fact but in all honesty I did that before the season even started.

Last edited:
Fans never change, though. And they're the only ones taking notes.

We still owe Norf an evener upper. :p
We have the 2nd worst grand final ratio in league history (excluding 0/1 Fremantle) so we owe lots of people even-ups by that measure!

We have the 2nd worst grand final ratio in league history (excluding 0/1 Fremantle) so we owe lots of people even-ups by that measure!

If you keep flipping a coin, it's bound to come up heads sooner or later if you survive long enough!

If you keep flipping a coin, it's bound to come up heads sooner or later if you survive long enough!

If the universe is infinite, then we play in infinite # of grand finals and win an infinite number of premierships.

Just don't stop counting.

When I first read this thread, I thought the poster had gone way too early, especially considering the two horrible losses we'd recently had to Gold Coast and Essendon. But then I realised that I started a similar thread in 2012 and pointed out that there was no reason to look to 2013 and beyond because of the confluence of a few factors that made 2012 our year. In fact, that same year, when we lost to the Hawks at the SCG in the penultimate round, I walked out of the ground telling everyone I could that we were a lock for the premiership - despite losing to the Hawks, I just knew.

So I'm not gonna rouse on the poster for being too excited, because anything can truly happen. And I think there is a confluence of factors happening again this year - our returning veterans look much, much fresher for the breaks they've had and our young guys are still performing at a really high level. We're going to go into the finals series with the good kind of selection conundrums, which is fantastic!

We definitely need to beat the Hawks and get the second chance though. We saw what happened last year after playing so many "elimination finals" before September ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back