No Oppo Supporters Swans v Hawks - the thread where we let it all out (READ OP FIRST)

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
There's a Hawthorn supporter with a signature that says something like

McEvoy, Burgoyne, ........ and Roughie smashed Hannebery,
Swans players did nothing, .... no culture

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Ain't it funny how a beautiful set of numbers can get the juices back flowing again.Hard to dispute, so when we hold that Cup aloft next time, I hope to hell it's before the dirty nappy team - because that would soil the beauty of your numbers.

Add to that the turnover in our list over the past few years. Champions such as Jude, Marty & ROK retired, Mal, Mummy and Morton gone, leaves us with a host of young blood eager to join the fray. Hawks are still reliant on those old stagers Mitchell & Hodge and we know how quickly a NS Medallist can drop away. Sure the AFL has given them a leg up to recruit a few star players while we've been forced out of trading but the silver lining is a fresh young list with just enough senior experience to guide them to the next stage. They're home grown, they're ours and they're hungry. We have a couple of huge forwards who have played little together but have the potential to cause havoc when on song. We have a re-constructed club champion in Goodes as our spiritual leader and enough talent to get the job done. Horse has the pieces he needs, now it's just a question of the right moves.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Its embarrassing the Swans did nothing

Dead right. Much blood should have been spilled. The Hawks played '89 brand football while we stuck with the 21st century version of the game.

What puzzles me is that the high hit on Jetta was never reported. Surely there should have been some examination of a head high hit that left a player with concussion.

Vin Rogue

All Australian
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Dead right. Much blood should have been spilled. The Hawks played '89 brand football while we stuck with the 21st century version of the game.

What puzzles me is that the high hit on Jetta was never reported. Surely there should have been some examination of a head high hit that left a player with concussion.
Even if we had played 2012 brand football we might have been a chance. But the size of the fight in the dog. It was ......but a pea nut. We had no lightning rod to ignite us. We had no avenger to tame their bullies. Our team became victims and spectators of a crime. Who says crime don't pay? But we still live. The heart still beats...and our time and chance will come again. Have faith and keep the anger burning. We need to be dangerous.

There's a Hawthorn supporter with a signature that says something like

McEvoy, Burgoyne, ........ and Roughie smashed Hannebery,
Swans players did nothing
Which part is incorrect?

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Dead right. Much blood should have been spilled. The Hawks played '89 brand football while we stuck with the 21st century version of the game.[/B]

Correct.

As an accomplice of mine always says we are a tough football side but we are not a nasty football side.
The latter has to come to fore when required.

This fellow is an extremely genial chap for the most part but when required is a despicable individual because of an underlying mindset that Nice guys finish last.

Do you have an idea of how you may use Sam Reid in 2015?
Sam over the pre-season, he’s been playing a fair bit in defence and that’s for a couple of different reasons. One is we think he could actually be a good defender if we need him in that part of the ground but also to learn off some of the best forwards in the game. He’s been able to play on Lance Franklin and he’s learned a lot I’m sure from that so far and will continue to learn over the pre-season but also Kurt Tippett and other players who rotate through that part of the ground. So it’s twofold, if we feel the opportunity and think we need him down back he’s had that experience and know-how but when he’s up forward he’s also learned off some of the best. At this point, we’ll see how the pre-season pans out, but there’s a chance at times he’ll be playing down back.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Do you have an idea of how you may use Sam Reid in 2015?
Sam over the pre-season, he’s been playing a fair bit in defence and that’s for a couple of different reasons. One is we think he could actually be a good defender if we need him in that part of the ground but also to learn off some of the best forwards in the game. He’s been able to play on Lance Franklin and he’s learned a lot I’m sure from that so far and will continue to learn over the pre-season but also Kurt Tippett and other players who rotate through that part of the ground. So it’s twofold, if we feel the opportunity and think we need him down back he’s had that experience and know-how but when he’s up forward he’s also learned off some of the best. At this point, we’ll see how the pre-season pans out, but there’s a chance at times he’ll be playing down back.

That is encouraging Reid will either make it as a defender or just twindle away for the rest of his career White MK2 style.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting reading re Reid. If not for the recruitment of Franklin, Horse, stubborn as he can be at times, would have likely persisted in playing him forward. It might have worked, it might not have, but if he does make it as a defender it may well work out better for the team.

Buddy won us at least 4 games & my memory of those games is that he kicked some extraordinary goals at crunch moments.
He is a match winner & we already knew that.
As far as I'm concerned, the man delivered. If anything, I walked away from the GF feeling as though he was let down by the leaders of our team on the day that mattered most & I'm still very angry at a few of our players for that.
Namely the co captains.
Buddy thus far is a overwhelming success on & off the field.
I don't want to re-hash the GF but really it was game plan as much as application that let us down IMO. Why wasn't anyone tagging Mitchell FFS? Why the hell was Reid standing alone by himself on the defensive goal line pointing at our defenders for large chunks of the day instead of manning up and/or using him in say oh I dunno... a contest perhaps? And don't get me started on the use of Birdy, Hanners or Jack on the day. Seriously was a joke when you compared Al .v. John. Shoulda seen it coming a mile away but instead he just stubbornly sat there going "it's ok, we'll be right" without admitting to himself it wasn't working, they were on top and he needed to change the game plan/strategy or else we'd get left behind... The coaches were too bloody stubborn to change what had worked in previous weeks against other opposition even though they were wrong. They were too stubborn to admit they were wrong and fix it on the day. Blaming the players a little but blaming the coaches a lot from my point of view.

Jan 19, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't want to re-hash the GF but really it was game plan as much as application that let us down IMO. Why wasn't anyone tagging Mitchell FFS? Why the hell was Reid standing alone by himself on the defensive goal line pointing at our defenders for large chunks of the day instead of manning up and/or using him in say oh I dunno... a contest perhaps? And don't get me started on the use of Birdy, Hanners or Jack on the day. Seriously was a joke when you compared Al .v. John. Shoulda seen it coming a mile away but instead he just stubbornly sat there going "it's ok, we'll be right" without admitting to himself it wasn't working, they were on top and he needed to change the game plan/strategy or else we'd get left behind... The coaches were too bloody stubborn to change what had worked in previous weeks against other opposition even though they were wrong. They were too stubborn to admit they were wrong and fix it on the day. Blaming the players a little but blaming the coaches a lot from my point of view.
Bang on longmire should be publicly stoned for not tagging Mitchell maybe he was stoned even Ray charles could see it

cinderella man

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2008
port melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Agree with the refusal to change things up.

As far as Mitchell goes though, wouldn't you think one of the mids would have said **** this I'll take responsibility for him ? He waltzed around all day doing as he pleased as he normally does against us and as he normally does ******* crucified us. As I have said before Longmire has to improve his efforts against Hawthorn and Clarkson just as much as the players do but as you said lets not rehash the thing again as 2015 is upon us and proof will be in the pudding the way they respond because as we know talk is cheap. Redemption is the 2015 Premiership nothing less.
Onwards and Upwards.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

As far as Mitchell goes though, wouldn't you think one of the mids would have said **** this I'll take responsibility for him ? He waltzed around all day doing as he pleased as he normally does against us and as he normally does ******* crucified us. As I have said before Longmire has to improve his efforts against Hawthorn and Clarkson just as much as the players do but as you said lets not rehash the thing again as 2015 is upon us and proof will be in the pudding the way they respond because as we know talk is cheap. Redemption is the 2015 Premiership nothing less.
Onwards and Upwards.

Think Longmire is copping more flak than he deserves to be honest i mean everyone seems to praise Clarkson but he has been coaching for 10yrs Longmire is in his 4th year there is only so much you can do if your players turn to dog s**t in the middle.

Clarkson had to wait till Geelong declined to get his team over the line against them he had no answers quite a few should remember that.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Im not so sure all the credit should go to clarkson. I think Ross Lyon showed how to completely dismantle our midfield in the 13 prelim. To me it was a carbon copy.

I do believe that we have one thing in our favour. I don't think our team has gelled yet. Buddy and Tippett have hardly played together, rohan cunningham lloyd will get another 20 games under their belts. Mitchell and jones will be welcome additions.

I seriously believe the second half of the year performances covered over a lot of cracks. We barely got past a depleted freo in the first final and north were never a serious threat in prelim.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey it's not like Longmire pulled a Pete Carroll or anything.

Not that I'm bitter but that was a bigger gut punch than what I saw from the Swans on Grand Final day and the Seahawks turned up to play.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Onwards and Upwards.

Bird was probably mumbling that to himself while he sat frustrated on the bench. Despite that we'd lost the game by the time he came on, he still played his heart out. Would have preferred to see someone like Lloyd or Jetta in the jacket to start. Once on top the coaches could have subbed someone out to open up the game but, at the beginning, we needed to ensure we were making the rules of engagement. Bird's our best enforcer.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Since this is a thread that both Swans and Hawks fans go on and since I am sure for Hawks fans the pain of losing Buddy has died down I thought I would ask if anyone still finds looking at Buddy in a Swans guernsey to be really weird?

For me I thought I would get used to seeing Buddy in Swans colours but for some reason I just haven't yet. Every time I see him in Swans colours it just looks odd which is strange as I was used to seeing Rhyce Shaw or Mitch Morton in Swans colours after around 2 games.
Buddy played for Hawthorn????!!!

Bird was probably mumbling that to himself while he sat frustrated on the bench. Despite that we'd lost the game by the time he came on, he still played his heart out. Bird's our best enforcer.
What was he enforcing during the 2013 Preliminary Final? One of the weakest efforts I've ever seen from a Swans player.

I know it is tempting to look at players who weren't there in the grand final, or Bird who played limited time, and say they would have done better. But he isn't perfect either, and has had his fair share of poor performances too.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
What was he enforcing during the 2013 Preliminary Final? One of the weakest efforts I've ever seen from a Swans player.

I know it is tempting to look at players who weren't there in the grand final, or Bird who played limited time, and say they would have done better. But he isn't perfect either, and has had his fair share of poor performances too.

2013 ? I said IS our best enforcer, not WAS our best enforcer.

In the 2014 GF Bird was one of our better players. His stats were on par with most of our 'much vaunted' midfielders yet he played just part of the game. Credit where credit's due. Bird should have started and, had he gone to Bitchell, he may well have made a big difference. Truth is, we'll never know, but it's not hard to imagine his thoughts, as he sat on the bench, were thoughts of frustration.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Think Longmire is copping more flak than he deserves to be honest i mean everyone seems to praise Clarkson but he has been coaching for 10yrs Longmire is in his 4th year there is only so much you can do if your players turn to dog s**t in the middle.

Clarkson had to wait till Geelong declined to get his team over the line against them he had no answers quite a few should remember that.

Agree. Just like all the rubbish about Hawks being the best team in a generation, a lifetime, in history and so on. Yet in the last 10 yrs the difference between the two teams comes down to just that one game. Had we won the 2014 GF, would we have been praised in the same light by the Melbourne media ? I doubt it. We'd have been lambasted for drinking the AFL's COLA and for a thousand other reasons why we managed to 'cheat' our way through. The AFL would have responded to Eddie's outrage by requiring all Swans players to kill their first-born sons, ritual castration of Kenny during the coin toss, loss of future draft picks and all draft picks of the last 5 years, fans forced to wear Hawthorn underpants and to marry toothless Collingwood supporters, and finally, penalising us with a 10 game forfeit to start the home and away season.

Yet, despite of all that...come the 2015 GF and we fans will be celebrating a gutsy win, not caring that we're sitting in poo & pee and tied with a ball & chain to the gormless, toothless hags by our sides, while Kenny dances lightly in the huddle and belts out the club song in a delightful choir-boy voice.

Back