Saints:
Round 14: Marvel – Bombers – Loss 72-107
Round 13: Gabba – Lions – Loss 57-78
Round 11: Marvel – Roos – Win 103-50
Round 10: AO – Crows – Win 90-69
Round 9: Marvel – Cats - Win 90-80

Injury List:

Swans:
Josh Kennedy (Hamstring - 8-10 weeks), Mark Shaeffer (foot - season), Angus Sheldrick (knee-Test), Sam Naismith (knee-season)
Source: Injury List 24/05/2022

Saints: Nick Coffield (knee-season), Dan Hannebery (calf-indefinite), Jack Hayes (knee-season), Jack Steele (Shoulder-2-4 weeks)
[Source: Injury List 24/05/2022]
NOTE: Daniel McKenzie and Mitch Owens missed last game due to injury unable to source injury.

Thoughts:

Both teams sustained unexpected and fan stunning losses in their last games (Swans by 23 and Saints by 35), which have severely bruised their respective finals aspirations. There is now significant congestion at the top of the table, with multiple teams vying for the lower 5 spots (12 teams still in the top 8 race). Swans are now 7th and Saint’s 8th with .2% points separating them. They are 2 games behind Demons, Dockers and Lions; one game behind Cats and Blues; and equal with Tigers (almost 3% points above Swans) and Collingwood (8% points below Saints).

Swans five games following this are: Essendon (A), Doggies (H), Dockers (A), Crows (H), Giants (H)
Saints five games following this are: Carlton (A), Dockers (H), Doggies (A), Eagles (A), Hawks (H)

So this game now takes on a finals like qualities, as not only would take pretty much a miracle for either team to make top four from here, their spot in the top eight is in jeopardy. With 8 teams vying for 5 spots, and fluctuating form shown by all these teams, mistakes could mean missing the finals for both teams.

Looking at the last five games played, I can see the home team has won the last four of these, and on this basis I'm tipping the Swans.

Swans by 30.

GO BLOODS!!! :largeredcircle::mwcirlce::largeredcircle::mwcirlce:

Last edited:

Horse needs to get real at the selection table this week I feel. There are obvious omissions (Ladhams & Wicks)

But if he wants to get really serious about addressing the culture issue within the team, then some of the staples whose positions have never been in trouble need to have that assurance taken away from them and realise they have to play without it. Dropping one of these staples (or even a few) would be a statement.

Lloyd, Papley, Florent, Rampe - take your pick.

Something's gotta change and the slight arrogance of the team needs to be weeded out quickly, or we'll have no chance in finals. Get it over with now and there could be something left of our season to preserve if it helps us come good. Otherwise keep the same names around, we'll have a great win against the Saints and then be back here in 2-3 weeks lamenting another inexplicable shithouse performance.

Personally, I'd drop Lloyd, put Florent in his place in defence (which fixes both of their issues simultaneously), bring Campbell in up the ground to replace Florent. Hickey in for Ladhams, Taylor in for Wicks.

Ive been critical of Lloyd and his nothing role for about 4 years, so about time others woke up

Having said that, what is he asked to do, I am not sure we give him a chance to add value and utilise his assets either

Ive been critical of Lloyd and his nothing role for about 4 years, so about time others woke up

Having said that, what is he asked to do, I am not sure we give him a chance to add value and utilise his assets either

Spot on. Still baffles me how Horse looked at a runner with arguably the best tank at the club and thought - he should be a small defender!

Against Port it was like the Dogs game, everyone off by 5% across the board which turns into disaster.

Ladhams for Hickey should be the only change.

Swap either Cunningham or Lloyd to the wing with Florent. Florent was legit lost back in his old position.

Can’t remember our last win after a bye week including finals.

We were poor this week, Saints were just as poor this week. This game will be on.

A consistent mid that racks up 30 per game will go a long way to make up for defencies in defence

Was it the game against us when they coined 'Missy Higgins'? Then the second time we played the Saints, the same thing happened, way too many scoring chances cus he gives Cunningham/our smalls a complete bath, except that time we lost. Higgins has been in good form this year, if we let him have 7 or 8 scoring shots again, to 10-14th place we go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point of order Kirkswan - I don’t believe Sheldrick is gone for the season. In fact, I think he’s likely to be back in the VFL next week.

After watching the ressies today:

Out: Ladhams, Wicks, CoR
In: Ruck Jesus, Campbell, Gould

I’d be happy to see Lloyd out - but I’m a realist.
This looks good, except the Lloyd part, realist or not, he needs to go. That would be the right call. I think those changes would be a good start.

Point of order Kirkswan - I don’t believe Sheldrick is gone for the season. In fact, I think he’s likely to be back in the VFL next week.

After watching the ressies today:

Out: Ladhams, Wicks, CoR
In: Ruck Jesus, Campbell, Gould

I’d be happy to see Lloyd out - but I’m a realist.
Sorry, my bad... I'll correct it...

I had a fair bit of trouble finding our who was out with what injury. The last official post of either club was 24 May... which leaves plenty of time for new injuries.

I had a fair bit of trouble finding our who was out with what injury. The last official post of either club was 24 May... which leaves plenty of time for new injuries.

just assume 4-6 weeks

Might be driving down for this one

Last time I came to Sydney and watched the Swans v StKilda it was 97 or 98 and we got beaten by 100

My apologies
I remember that game - robert Harvey and others running into open goals without a swan in sight. This is the only game I have ever left early. Prefer to remember the 2005 prelim - and that Maguire love tap lol

just assume 4-6 weeks
Lol! It was very frustrating... I hate the AFL websites, be it for the clubs or the AFL themselves. They try to make you read everything by making it impossible to search for specific items such as current Swans Injury List... I mean who would want to know that stuff, right?

I got the shits and nearly put everyone for both teams down for 4-6 weeks (I would have found it amusing!), but I thought I'd better make the attempt. By that time I found these guys, I knew it was going to be a very short preview!!! Lol!

Just found this one
Angus Sheldrick

It has now been eight weeks since Angus’ knee arthroscopy. He is completing football training with the main group and is looking to return to play in the coming fortnight, depending on how his knee recovers from an increasing exposure to skills.

Provided Ladhams response to such a poor game is appropriate i wouldn't be looking to drop him.

I would have
Ins: Hickey and Fox
Outs: Wicks and COR

Wicks is playing poorly and not consistently applying enough pressure and isn't doing much of value with the ball either. I would move Parker forward to play a defensive role as he is a dangerous player when forward and can apply good pressure.

COR looked off the pace and like he may be carrying something so Fox would be an upgrade.

Hickey plays as the first ruck. For all his improvement this year Ladhams is still an inferior tap ruckman and decision maker and should play the 2nd ruck\forward role.

This would obviously create a very tall forward line so I would move Reid onto the wing and have him play a similar role to the one Dawson played last year. Obviously Reid doesn't have Dawson's kicking but he can provide decent pressure through the middle, provide a strong marking target when rebounding out of defence and provide tall intercept marking support to the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back