Autopsy Swans v Tigers discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I was going to say, as if Richmond weren't setting up with a loose man defensively the entire game.
They played the loose man up in the middle which we could never get passed

They played the loose man up in the middle which we could never get passed

Richmond nailed their defence. They probably knew that given our lack of forward options, that we would struggle to score even more than we usually do, and so it could be a very structure-based win. And they were right. They beat up on us in that regard, so credit to them, but if they wanted to they could've gone beyond just 'defending to win'. They were a good enough side. But they didn't, they stayed in cruise control, and it led to a shitty match. Hardwick's gotta own his part in that.

What pissed me off though is that the run stopped after the first quarter. That first goal we kicked felt inevitable because we were working hard to run and attack in waves, and when we'd hit a wall and turn it over, we'd just do it again, and we got a good goal out of it, and should've had a few more.

But then the players willingness to lead and create just disappeared after QT. You could literally feel the collective intensity just drop.

To be fair, the blame should lie with Richmond more than us. They had the better team, basically a full forward line. If they wanted to they could've made it a far better game to watch at least.
Spot on. They wanted to play slingshot footy and we didn't let them so now they're having a sook.
Horse very nearly pulled off the most improbable win in Swans history. If they wanted a proper game of it they could have trusted their more experienced team to win. (Did they have 4 premiership winning ins this week?) and manned up our defenders and taken away the sideways kick.

This is the equivilent of Mourninho whinging that Pep's team holds the ball too much.

We aren't coaches putting it out in the media? Not sure how it's comparable.
Absolutely its comparable. Everyone here is a person expressing their opinion.
Hardwick is expressing his. He has a bigger audience but there's a ton of irony in slamming someone for expressing views that you agree with.

Yeah could be said its unprofessional, but in a weird way i prefer it when coaches say what they really think rather than roll out a platitude word salad like "It was a tight, contested game. You know youre in for a tough contest when you play Sydney. They are an incredible club with an amazing culture." Pressers should involve people's true opinions more often.

And I hope it upsets Horse and the players, hope we come out breathing fire next week with a point to prove.

Absolutely its comparable. Everyone here is a person expressing their opinion.
Hardwick is expressing his. He has a bigger audience but there's a ton of irony in slamming someone for expressing views that you agree with.

Yeah could be said its unprofessional, but in a weird way i prefer it when coaches say what they really think rather than roll out a platitude word salad like "It was a tight, contested game. You know youre in for a tough contest when you play Sydney. They are an incredible club with an amazing culture." Pressers should involve people's true opinions more often.

And I hope it upsets Horse and the players, hope we come out breathing fire next week with a point to prove.

It's a slippery slope when we start letting coaches say what they really think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spin out, realism in
Swans always seem better when they go honest.....stop trying to appease all those Sydney grifters....🤩

I think Hardwicks doing us a inadvertent favour

incredibly poor to have so many in defence. It was the horse of old not the one weve been seeing the past few weeks

In fact he tried to do the same to wce but they still managed to score

2 weeks in a row to control the carnage rather than play to win

hardwick is spot on about the 4th qtr

What pissed me off though is that the run stopped after the first quarter. That first goal we kicked felt inevitable because we were working hard to run and attack in waves, and when we'd hit a wall and turn it over, we'd just do it again, and we got a good goal out of it, and should've had a few more.

But then the players willingness to lead and create just disappeared after QT. You could literally feel the collective intensity just drop.
I do wonder what happened, it seemed to come back in the last quarter? We actually looked really good in the second half of the 1 qtr, would of loved to ask horse what the difference waz

I do wonder what happened, it seemed to come back in the last quarter? We actually looked really good in the second half of the 1 qtr, would of loved to ask horse what the difference waz

It came back because of the urgency. Time was running out and we had to score or it would be goodnight Irene. Apparently that wasn't enough of an incentive to do it for the rest of the match.

Also on the Hardwick commentary, your job is to talk about your own team, and the other in very vague terms. I wish Horse would go more in depth about what we should of done, but I don't want him talking about Richmond any longer than he has to.

In short, not Hardwicks job to throw criticism on the swans, just not a good precedent.

It came back because of the urgency. Time was running out and we had to score or it would be goodnight Irene. Apparently that wasn't enough of an incentive to do it for the rest of the match.
I can't believe that was everything, but I don't have a better explanation.

Ok, so in regards to the game, did not like the the middle 2 quarters (durrrr), so I'm going to quickly talk about what I liked about the first quarter. A lot more effort in retaining a structure. I don't know if anyone else noticed or if I'm insane, but there was a lot of times when Richmond would just run through us, and although that may seem bad, it showed that we weren't getting too attracted to the ball carrier. We'll learn the balance later on.

I can't believe that was everything, but I don't have a better explanation.

The signs have been there a few weeks now. I said pre-match that I didn't want another performance that was lacking effort and intensity after the last two weeks, and unfortunately it seems like bad news comes in threes. This was the worst one yet. It's easy to see the 8 point margin and assume that we gave our all to hang in against a better side, but the tell-tale signs of a team that's working hard and for each other were not there at all. There were a few exceptions of course but the bulk of the team just didn't look willing to do the work necessary.

Funny enough, Richmond still had more uncontested possessions, good figure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back