Autopsy Swans v Tigers discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

Just gonna focus on the positives because the rest was too much of a rabble.

- Mills had an outstanding game that showed the kind of 'future captain' stuff he could be capable of. Easy to say a defender in the most under siege defence going around would get 29 touches, but every one of those touches was hard-earned, going back with the flight, trying to generate play out of the back half, showing good body work on his opponents.

- Heeney was so clean and polished again. Sometimes it seems like he is playing with a different footy to everyone else. When others are spilling marks, fumbling the ball, looking absolutely lost in traffic, Heeney just shows great balance to keep his feet, finds good options, picks the ball up cleanly, and worked his absolute arse off to cover the ground. It's a shame others didn't follow his lead.

- Rowbottom had another good game. 15 touches, most pressure acts of anyone on the ground, and his goal was awesome. Still being used predominantly as an outside player, why I don't know, but you'd think that would have to change given Kennedy's expected absence. He just has it..

- Hayward pulled his finger out slightly, in terms of inserting himself into the game to find the pill when in other weeks he maybe wouldn't have. However I'm still not totally sure what he brings in that medium defender/half back role that others couldn't. But still, a decent response.

Stephens and Warner showed bits, enough to earn another game for them, and at least it wasn't a case of "oh geez they are not ready." Well played by Horse to back them in and make the right call.

Fox & McLean work hard and at this point I'd take that. McLean could be the hard-working big man enforcer that we have been crying out for when he can start regularly impacting games more.

Last edited:
Thought we had a crack most of the game.

Mills was best on by a mile imo

You know what Longmire was trying to do , numbers behind the ball to defend a potentially bad score board going of the opening few minutes.

Imo we should have had at least tried a few minutes per quarter to really take it on and if it didn’t work so be it.

Hayward flogged that overrated Rioli and didn’t look to bad in defence.

Blakey really needs a work rate lesson and a reality check

Thought the 2 kids were great

Worried about Rampe

Also worried about the list going forward, we looking at some bad years imo

I'd drop him but wouldn't let him play the scratch matches either. More of a "sit and think about what you've done" kinda thing

But he is tall so he will play

I'd drop him but wouldn't let him play the scratch matches either. More of a "sit and think about what you've done" kinda thing

But he is tall so he will play

We're not mad at Blakey. Just disappointed. Now off to the naughty corner!

It is easy to come back to crying "look at our injuries" and I think everyone will get a free pass for that for this season

But we need to rectify it. Need to get another ruck in, another forward in

We're not mad at Blakey. Just disappointed. Now off to the naughty corner!
He tried to be Buddy twice today. With the long kick outside 50 and taking on 3 tacklers which lead to HTB.

He needs to do the basics right. And to work harder. A lot of today I saw him just do that casual jog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
I kind of enjoyed that, especially because BT hated it. No tall backs or forwards, third-string ruck, no JPK, Heeney playing injured, 4 players with less than 10 games, 12 players with below 60 games. Kept Richmond to one goal after qtr-time. If we'd nailed those shots in Q1 we might have stolen it.

Team defence was excellent. In the absence of JPK, Mills stepped up - his best game for the year. Rowbo was great - that was an awesome goal he engineered from HB qtr (with soundtrack of BT yammering about the Tigers' 'ferocity,' oblivious to Rowbo's ferocious attacks on the ball in front of him).

Hayward was useful up back. Didn't mind Blakey taking the game on in the last q. Stephens had a great debut, didn't look out of place, neither did Warner though didn't find the ball. With JPK likely absent expect both will be playing next week.

Stats file: we won the contested possessions 108-106 which is huge for a young team vs a contender. Lost I50s 36-53, so again, final scoreline is a testament to great defence.

Thought we had a crack most of the game.

Mills was best on by a mile imo

You know what Longmire was trying to do , numbers behind the ball to defend a potentially bad score board going of the opening few minutes.

Imo we should have had at least tried a few minutes per quarter to really take it on and if it didn’t work so be it.

Hayward flogged that overrated Rioli and didn’t look to bad in defence.

Thought the 2 kids were great

Worried about Rampe

Also worried about the list going forward, we looking at some bad years imo

sums it up imo

theres a couple i wouldnt pick again, clarke cor and maybe cunningham

Citrus22

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
So much Clarke hate today but at least he has the right attitude and cracks in consistently, could do with a few more like that. Speaking of which, losing Kennedy early hurt our midfield a hell of a lot and didn't get much of a mention in the game day thread...

Bits and pieces to like from a few of the young guys today, I reckon Stephens and Warner showed they're made of the right stuff. Stoddart did nothing, McInerney would have had far more impact on the game, makes mistakes but can break the lines. Blakey can find the ball in dangerous spots but needs to learn to kick it forward if there's no obvious option to pass, this duck and weave stuff isn't his strong suit. Hayward improved a lot from last week which is promising and shows character. The defence in general had a lot more cohesion this week. Mills was fantastic and the most confident I've seen in a while.

There's a reason footy clubs run around with tall players and we're learning the hard way at the moment with our severe lack of.

Nowhere near as unhappy today as against the bulldogs where we just weren't committed, I can take game plans stuff ups and execution errors but the lack of commitment we showed in that game gets my blood boiling more than anything.

Last edited:
I reckon that Rampe having to play tall week in week out and has been for some time , especially being our number 1!back that he might fade very quick.

Looking like he only has this year and next in him , obviously he is aging also

Last year he seemed to really relish the pressure, made him play cocky and confident knowing it was down his end the whole game.

Now he just seems nervy. Seems like our poor midfield's finally done him in.

I reckon that Rampe having to play tall week in week out and has been for some time , especially being our number 1!back that he might fade very quick.

Looking like he only has this year and next in him , obviously he is aging also

Kennedy looked slow before he got hurt I’m worried he will fade quick too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back