VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

One of Hickey or Ladhams will be in the VFL round 1. We've seen that they don't work as a tandem, and Reid is basically the perfect backup ruckman. I assume Owen's experience as a forward in juniors will mean he's getting the least amount of ruck work, I don't know if that means McAndrew will be getting enough ruck time though. I think it's fair to assume McLean and Amartey will get exactly 0 hitouts between them all season at VFL level and will only attend ruck contests at AFL level if Reid gets hurt, as Logan and Buddy can't do it at all. So to summarise, yeah you're right to be concerned about where McAndrew fits into the picture
With both Ladhams and Hickey on the list, Ladhams played 7 VFL games, Hickey played 2. With injury, suspensions, and holding one of them for seniors when required, they'll miss plenty of VFL games. So McAndrew and Owen will get plenty of opportunity as the main rucks. Even so, you would expect that whichever is physically readier, will be the main backup to Ladhams/Hickey, or the main ruck. It may be that Owen (204/94) jumps in front of McAndrew (209/101), but I don't see the problem.

Neither McAndrew or Owen were really drafted to be playing regular seniors this year or even next year (it was clear that McAndrew needed 2-3 years before even getting a sniff). In 2024, if they are both still with us, they'll be getting plenty of ruck minutes since Ladhams, Amartey and McLean won't be at reserves level anymore, readying them for when they might be needed.

Can we talk about the new coach? I know nothing about him - is he any good?
Coached GWS VFL last year and led them to a measly 13th has also previously spent time as the Bendigo Pioneers coach, Development coach at Carlton and Richmond. He has even spent some time doing some coaching in the NRL. He is a very experienced man.

Coached GWS VFL last year and led them to a measly 13th has also previously spent time as the Bendigo Pioneers coach, Development coach at Carlton and Richmond. He has even spent some time doing some coaching in the NRL. He is a very experienced man.
Absolutely no issue with the guy but I'm a bit surprised we didn't snag someone with a stronger Swans connection.

With the possibility of Ladhams starting in the VFL, signing of Owens and the need to give some ruck time to Amartey, McLean and maybe Edwards (they all need to be ready to be the chop out ruck if required), McAndrew's minutes as a pure ruck will be limited unless he starts to show some significant progress.

I have not been overly impressed with him over the last 18 months and I wouldn't be surprised if Owens quickly passes him in the pecking order.
I think it still has been useful having McAndrew as a developing ruck on the list.

At the start of this year in preseason, there was a period where he was the only fit ruck. So he was the only ruck available for the mids to practice stoppages with.

I think it still has been useful having McAndrew as a developing ruck on the list.

At the start of this year in preseason, there was a period where he was the only fit ruck. So he was the only ruck available for the mids to practice stoppages with.
I just think people need to give him time. Started playing footy in 2020, showed enough to get drafted in 2021. 209cm, was 93kg at the time, now 101kg. Gawn and Witts are the same height, neither are tanks, but they still have an extra 10kg on him. I still think he's got another couple of years of physical development to go, and with a better run with injury, hopefully has a good year. I haven't been disappointed, because he's clearly a project player.

Absolutely no issue with the guy but I'm a bit surprised we didn't snag someone with a stronger Swans connection.
Happy to get some outside blood in. In house preferences don't always work out in a clubs favour.

I'm still not a fan of Ben Mathews as our backline coach tbh, we can turn into a sieve at a moments notice
Think that's got more to do with what's happening up field than down back. I will give you that early this season we weren't at our best, but when Fox came in I thought the back 6 as a whole looked way better because of it.

Think that's got more to do with what's happening up field than down back. I will give you that early this season we weren't at our best, but when Fox came in I thought the back 6 as a whole looked way better because of it.
Considering Fox, Florent and Paddy only became settled members this season and Blakey has SFA experience I think they did pretty well as they got to know each other.
Consider the number of games together the other top 4 defences had together.
How much credit or blame Mathews deserves I have no idea but I imagine Rd1 will look a lot like that back 7 unless injury or unexpected form loss intervenes.

Considering Fox, Florent and Paddy only became settled members this season and Blakey has SFA experience I think they did pretty well as they got to know each other.
Consider the number of games together the other top 4 defences had together.
How much credit or blame Mathews deserves I have no idea but I imagine Rd1 will look a lot like that back 7 unless injury or unexpected form loss intervenes.
Outside of Lloyd & Rampey our backline is rather young in experience in playing defence. Florent, Blakey & McCartin only stared playing down back this year full time.

I'm still not a fan of Ben Mathews as our backline coach tbh, we can turn into a sieve at a moments notice
Can we have some instances of this? Not including the GF? Just so I can see if I'm on the some page?

I think there were a few random games, where out defence seemed a little off, but imo, that had a lot to do with our midfield.

Just read the i/v with new VFL coach Truslove on the Swans site from a few days back. Mentions Bartholomeaus, Collis, Shipley, Morrison coming from this season's VFL squad being back for next year. Mentions some new players (not by name) who have joined that he is excited to coach and four more players from the Swans Academy in the squad too.

Has the full squad been announced officially? Can't find any details, if so. Possibly no Adam Gulden who was captain last season based on his comments, or lack thereof.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just read the i/v with new VFL coach Truslove on the Swans site from a few days back. Mentions Bartholomeaus, Collis, Shipley, Morrison coming from this season's VFL squad being back for next year. Mentions some new players (not by name) who have joined that he is excited to coach and four more players from the Swans Academy in the squad too.

Has the full squad been announced officially? Can't find any details, if so. Possibly no Adam Gulden who was captain last season based on his comments, or lack thereof.
No full squad as of yet. I haven't heard anything about Gulden.

Swans have announced the first group of players for VFL Team this year:

Primary List
FIRST NAMELAST NAMEDATE OF BIRTH2022 LOCAL CLUB
JakeBartholomaeus27/08/1997Sydney Swans VFL
WilliamCollis9/20/96Sydney Swans VFL
MaxGeddes3/21/01Sydney Swans VFL
EthanGrace1/11/03Giants Academy / VFL
HarryMorrison7/11/98Sydney Swans VFL
NicShipley6/25/99Sydney Swans VFL
JakeVeale8/12/97North Shore FC
Development List
HamishMorrison9/6/04Sydney Swans Academy
TobyAlker3/16/03Sydney Swans Academy
ChristianWebster7/16/04Sydney Swans Academy
Montague (Monty)Velthuis9/15/99

Note: The current list is not finalised and will be updated accordingly as new players sign for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Hi all and welcome to this years thread.

Primary List
Development List

Note: The current list is not finalised and will be updated accordingly as new players sign for the upcoming season.

I've heard indhi Kirk wants to remain in the Swans Academy for another year. I think they can do that. That is probably why he is not listed.

Last edited:

Primary List
Development List

Here are some bits and bobs on the VFL list:

• Max Geddes, Jake Bartholomaeus, Harry Morrison, Will Collis and Nic Shipley are the returning players.
  • Jake Veale from the North Shore Bombers, returns to reserves level previously playing 20 matches for the Sydney Swans across 2015/2016. He returned to the NEAFL in 2019 for Sydney Uni and played a further 19 matches.
  • Ethan Grace follows Damian Truslove to the Sydney Swans VFL Squad. Grace played six games for the GWS Giants VFL in 2022 and averaged 10.3 disposals. He split the rest of 2022 between the GWS academy team and East Coast Eagles in AFL Sydney. Also included a game for the Allies.
  • Montague Velthuis is from Sydney Uni in AFL Sydney and played mostly reserves in 2022.

No Adam Gulden? I'm hoping that's just because he is playing NTFL at the moment and he'll return to the club for the start of the season

Here are some bits and bobs on the VFL list:

• Max Geddes, Jake Bartholomaeus, Harry Morrison, Will Collis and Nic Shipley are the returning players.
  • Jake Veale from the North Shore Bombers, returns to reserves level previously playing 20 matches for the Sydney Swans across 2015/2016. He returned to the NEAFL in 2019 for Sydney Uni and played a further 19 matches.
  • Ethan Grace follows Damian Truslove to the Sydney Swans VFL Squad. Grace played six games for the GWS Giants VFL in 2022 and averaged 10.3 disposals. He split the rest of 2022 between the GWS academy team and East Coast Eagles in AFL Sydney. Also included a game for the Allies.
  • Montague Velthuis is from Sydney Uni in AFL Sydney and played mostly reserves in 2022.

No Adam Gulden? I'm hoping that's just because he is playing NTFL at the moment and he'll return to the club for the start of the season
Haven't heard anything in regard to Gulden - can't imagine him not returning - thought he was a good captain for us last year.

R1 March 25 BOX HILL h
2 April 1 CASEY a
3 8 BYE
4 15 NORTH h
5 22 NORTHERN a
6 29 BYE
7 May 6 FRANKSTON a
8 13 WILLIAMSTOWN h
9 20 PORT MELBOURNE a
10 27 CARLTON h
11 June 3 BYE
12 10 SANDRINGHAM h