VFL Swans VFL team

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand some form of contract will be offered to non listed players to join the swans vfl team. The players will not be Academy members but could be ex academy graduates. Any ideas on who might play? Perhaps Angus Baker or Sam Thorne?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
It hasn't been confirmed yet that we will have a stand alone team in the new merged VFL-NEAFL league.

I understand some form of contract will be offered to non listed players to join the swans vfl team. The players will not be Academy members but could be ex academy graduates. Any ideas on who might play? Perhaps Angus Baker or Sam Thorne?

We won’t have enough players to fill it out (if we do have a stand alone team next year) so yes it’s highly likely we will give another 6 to 12 players VFL contracts to be able to field a team.

On Thorne, I would suggest it’s highly likely that he is drafted as a rookie.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There was a Herald Sun article the other week which talked about all the licenses the AFL has offered for the VFL. Swans was one of them
Yes, we were offered one, all AFL clubs were. So were a bunch of NEAFL teams too after they expressed interest. That doesn't mean all teams with offers will accept. Chances are there will still be a few teams that don't go with a standalone team and keep a relationship going with an existing VFL team, and it is unlikely that all the NEAFL teams who were given an offer will end up following through. The announcement of who will actually end up participating in the league is due to be announced after the Grand Final.

Could be some of the delisted players from this year that we want to keep an eye on and support if they have Uni up here or jobs that they can pick up.

Looks like there might be a statewide NSW comp. Syd Uni and Canberra Demons along with Redlands have knocked back a part in the new VFL.
How would that work? Redlands are Qld based. Who else would they play against? The next level down would be Sydney Premier League, so the likes of UNSW Bulldogs, Penno, North Shore Bombers etc.

22 team comp with 16 rounds . The Swans and GWS ONLY TEAMS FROM NSW.
Be interesting to see how we construct a team not merged with a club like Sydney Uni which would allow player promotion and relegation assuming lists are smaller.
Players not selected need to be able to play somewhere!

Aspley and Southport joining in is good for the QLD players, I could see a few guys going there. But no Sydney Uni or Canberra is a bit worrisome.

I wonder if they go back to the old model of AFL NSW/ACT where Canberra, USYD, North Shore, Penno, UNSW/Easts, and a few others form a top tier regional league. That would at least produce a regional league of improved quality for Academy players to play in via their local clubs in between the Academy fixtures. It's not a long term solution by any means, but it would hopefully get the ball rolling on a better regional league setup.

I could also see a couple of teams dropping out of the VEAFL after a couple of years. Whether they get replaced or not will be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see how we construct a team not merged with a club like Sydney Uni which would allow player promotion and relegation assuming lists are smaller.
Players not selected need to be able to play somewhere!
Similar to previous NEAFL years there won’t be enough Swans listed players to fill all 22 game day Reserves spots, so they’ll need to bring in top ups.

Previously that was 17 and 18 year olds from the Academy and ‘NEAFL Development Squad’ (NDS) players being 19 year olds Academy boys who hadn’t been drafted. In the season just finished these would have been the likes of Sam Thorne who would have been on very small dollar contracts.

The Swans could do something similar and possibly open it up beyond the Academy and select players from the Sydney Premier League and regional leagues and in effect use them as feeder clubs (I assume GWS would do something similar). Not sure how the two AFL clubs would allocate those players/teams though - use the Academy regions as a guide perhaps?

Similar to previous NEAFL years there won’t be enough Swans listed players to fill all 22 game day Reserves spots, so they’ll need to bring in top ups.

Previously that was 17 and 18 year olds from the Academy and ‘NEAFL Development Squad’ (NDS) players being 19 year olds Academy boys who hadn’t been drafted. In the season just finished these would have been the likes of Sam Thorne who would have been on very small dollar contracts.

The Swans could do something similar and possibly open it up beyond the Academy and select players from the Sydney Premier League and regional leagues and in effect use them as feeder clubs (I assume GWS would do something similar). Not sure how the two AFL clubs would allocate those players/teams though - use the Academy regions as a guide perhaps?

Regional feeder teams for the NEAFL teams? That's interesting. I'd guess they just do it based on Academy catchment areas. Pennant Hills and one other club fall on the border of the catchment, meaning players can go to one academy or the other from those clubs depending on where they live, so maybe you just give one club to GWS and one club to the Swans and stick with the rest as they lie.

Regional feeder teams for the NEAFL teams? That's interesting. I'd guess they just do it based on Academy catchment areas. Pennant Hills and one other club fall on the border of the catchment, meaning players can go to one academy or the other from those clubs depending on where they live, so maybe you just give one club to GWS and one club to the Swans and stick with the rest as they lie.
Yep, thinking outside the box for a moment, another option is a mini-draft where GWS and Swans draft a number of top up players on small contracts (noting the new VFL salary cap) and they go back to their Sydney Premier League clubs (e.g. Penno) if they’re not selected for the Swans/GWS that week?

The VFL squad could, therefore, be made up of a combination of Swans listed players (who would obviously have selection priority) Academy players (inc Development Squad 19 year old perhaps) and possibly some drafted contracted top ups from regional/Sydney Prems leagues?

Last edited:
What's the reasoning behind Sydney Uni and others declining? Costs?
Yep, the Herald-Sun says it’s for financial reasons. However, the article also states that “No clubs will pay licence fees and the AFL will subsidise all approved club travel for interstate matches” and notes that the salary cap will be $200K, which is similar to NEAFL cap. As such, I wonder what those reasons are and whether the teams would have struggled to play in the NEAFL anyway.

22 teams.
Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown
Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, GC Suns, GWS Giants, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans, Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey.

Yep, the Herald-Sun says it’s for financial reasons. However, the article also states that “No clubs will pay licence fees and the AFL will subsidise all approved club travel for interstate matches” and notes that the salary cap will be $200K, which is similar to NEAFL cap. As such, I wonder what those reasons are and whether the teams would have struggled to play in the NEAFL anyway.

Usyd is in a world of pain. Funding an AFL team would be one of the first things they cut I imagine. NEAFL or VFL level

But the aligned clubs cap is 100k , just hope Swans don't play Port.

We will do the same thing other AFL teams whose reserves play in the VFL - have players signed on VFL contracts to fill up the squad. Maybe the odd current U18 Academy player gets a game, but for the most part I would see it as a continuation of the pathway from the Academy to senior football for players who don't immediately get drafted to the AFL at 18.

Usyd is in a world of pain. Funding an AFL team would be one of the first things they cut I imagine. NEAFL or VFL level

Doesn't USYD have an endowment of $3bn AUD?

My heart weeps for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back