VFL Swans VFL team

Remove this Banner Ad

We will do the same thing other AFL teams whose reserves play in the VFL - have players signed on VFL contracts to fill up the squad. Maybe the odd current U18 Academy player gets a game, but for the most part I would see it as a continuation of the pathway from the Academy to senior football for players who don't immediately get drafted to the AFL at 18.

It could be a good opportunity for overage academy players to continue their development in the swans system whilst playing at a decent level. And it is a chance to prove themselves if they can perform against VFL clubs and AFL reserve players.

Being a top up player for Swans/GWS could end up being a viable AFL pathway for overage NSW players rather than having to move to the SANFL and WAFL because it is a chance to get noticed by 14 AFL clubs.

Would you assume we’d play all the other 13 AFL/ AFL affiliated sides?

That would only leave 3 of the remaining 9 teams that we’d play.
I don't think there is any indication at this point how they are going to work it out.

Not necessarily. There are 22 teams in the competition and only 16 rounds, so we won't play everyone.
Any chance they split into conferences to minimise travel costs?
2 x NSW, 4 x QLD, 5 x Vic
11 x Vic
Finals top 4 from each based on points and % or NFL style.
AFL picking up the travel bill.

Any chance they split into conferences to minimise travel costs?
2 x NSW, 4 x QLD, 5 x Vic
11 x Vic
Finals top 4 from each based on points and % or NFL style.
AFL picking up the travel bill.

It’s highly likely it will be like that with maybe a couple of cross over games between the 2 conferences.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I assume they will have conferences for fixturing to reduce travel.

I would have the 6 NSW/QLD clubs in one conference. They would play each other twice and have 6 games each against Victorian teams (36 games in total).

That way most Victorian sides might only have to travel interstate 1-2 times during the season. The NEAFL sides are used to travelling interstate regularly so it won't be as much of an adjustment for them.

Last edited:
I assume John Blakey knows more about Campbell & Gulden then all other 16 teams except us.

Roos pumped the Demons to bid early for Mills and it all depends on were Blakey rates them with all the inside information he has.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I assume John Blakey knows more about Campbell & Gulden then all other 16 teams except us.

Roos pumped the Demons to bid early for Mills and it all depends on were Blakey rates them with all the inside information he has.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Mills was rated best mid that year from all experts - not just Roos. Mills would have been pick 2 whether Roos was a Demon or not

Mills was rated best mid that year from all experts - not just Roos. Mills would have been pick 2 whether Roos was a Demon or not
What's that got to do with our Reserves team ?
I heard Mark Williams yesterday and he said they expected to travel interstate 2 or 3 times.
Sam Mitchell now coach of Box Hill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something like play each team in your conference once for 10 games, then play 6 games against teams from the other conference? It's not perfect, but it's a starting point.

Hopefully they play more curtain raisers at the SCG. Especially as we'll likely be playing Saturday and Sunday afternoon games. I quite enjoyed getting down there early and catching a couple of the NEAFL games last year, in 2019, which now feels like a lifetime ago.

Something like play each team in your conference once for 10 games, then play 6 games against teams from the other conference? It's not perfect, but it's a starting point.

Hopefully they play more curtain raisers at the SCG. Especially as we'll likely be playing Saturday and Sunday afternoon games. I quite enjoyed getting down there early and catching a couple of the NEAFL games last year, in 2019, which now feels like a lifetime ago.
Just imagine what it was like when it happened every game .

It’s highly likely it will be like that with maybe a couple of cross over games between the 2 conferences.

So 10 "in conference" games and 6 "other" which could be in conference or cross conference or both. Could be quite interesting. Messy, but interesting. Pity about NT though. Maybe into SANFL?

Maybe we should bring Jordan Foote back to play for the VFL side :p

Imagine the 100k is for players not already on the Swans (eg) list being paid by them within their cap.
Makes some sort of sense.

Correct, if the AFL club has little to no injuries they will have a distinct advantage over the non aligned teams in terms of total player payments on the team they are putting on the park.

However if the club has injuries they will struggle and end up playing a number of academy picks.

Correct, if the AFL club has little to no injuries they will have a distinct advantage over the non aligned teams in terms of total player payments on the team they are putting on the park.

However if the club has injuries they will struggle and end up playing a number of academy picks.

All this really is now is a development league . Another example of the AFL (which is a brand ) trying to control everything . An example is AFL Victoria , why is it called that !

An example is AFL Victoria , why is it called that !

Because the AFL is the controlling body in Victoria for the code and therefore get to call it what they like for branding purposes, just like they do in New South Wales, Queensland, Northern Territory and Tasmania. They don't run the code in South Australia or Western Australia and therefore have no say in what the controlling body in those states are called.

Because the AFL is the controlling body in Victoria for the code and therefore get to call it what they like for branding purposes, just like they do in New South Wales, Queensland, Northern Territory and Tasmania. They don't run the code in South Australia or Western Australia and therefore have no say in what the controlling body in those states are called.
I know that , it's just bullshit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back