Autopsy Swans vs. Blues R3 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He looked like a natural didn't he? Very impressed.
Melican was dropped because he didn't get into position and didn't spoil. McCartin did both those things last year and again yesterday. I think everyone got the message. The spoiling was a lot more effective. Aliir even spoiled a couple he would normally mark.

O'Riordan was stiff to be dropped in the first place IMO. Horse will go Jack for Hayward.
Not sure we don't need Reg if fit. McDonald and Weidemann (sic) handy talls and might be a big ask for McCartin. Who was better than Melican so he most likely stays in 2s.
Interesting test for Match Committee.

A win is a win. After 3 rounds the ladder only tells us there have been 3 rounds played, not much else. I don't mind a slow build up if we're getting our systems right and improving every week. A lot to like this week, especially forward. Carlton are centre clearance kings so it was an inspired move to tag Cripps with Kennedy. Highlights were our forwards finding better touch, JPK getting back to pre-solo captaincy form before the weight of the world was placed on his shoulders, Heeney shaking off his injury and getting back to super stardom, Jones and Mills getting back to full swing and McCartin continuing where he left off. Reid's touch is improving and his tackling was ferocious. Concerns were Ronke who seems to be struggling to find form, Blakey making too many simple errors and a terrible game for Aliir who played the worst I've seen him. I hope it's a one off for Aliir and Blakey will settle and become a champ. Rampe was huge but big Reg would have helped to steady the ship. Our defence looked undisciplined at times and worries me a bit. The younger guys need to gel and bring their own discipline. They can't rely on the old guard forever. Macca is a huge out. In all though, a lot of things clicking into place.

Loved the desperation and work rate. That was very Swans-like

Agree bunge, we may not be looking like world beaters at the moment, but every week we are showing improvement and that is the most important thing for me personally.
As someone said early in this autopsy, I think that's the best game we've played in a fair while, probably since the Dees game last year, and whilst I know that's a pretty low bar, it's a positive and hopefully means we are heading back up the hill.
!!!!!AND WE FINALLY KICKED MULTIPLE GOALS IN EVERY QUARTER!!!!!

Some thoughts...

So, finally got to see the game this morning... it was ours until the last 10 minutes of the 4th imo, when we fluffed around with for a bit. It wasn't our best effort by a long shot, but it was more structured (I think) than it's been so far this season.

- Heeney... I'm really expecting huge things from here this year and going forward. I loved his game apart from the miss right in front almost!
- Jones loves the middle and thrives there. As heaps on here predicted, I reckon he will blossom this year.
- Kennedy was immense, keeping Cripps under control and still topping 30 himself, still our JPK!
- Parker, very nothing game, wonder if he is carrying an injury or soreness somewhere...
- Sinclair has just been a revelation this last two seasons, if he were five to eight centimetres taller, he'd be world class imo!
- McCartin is really something, I thought he had a really good game in defence. We've really got ourselves a winner with him!
- Aliir had a fairly poor game I thought... is he carrying an injury does anyone know?

Umpiring
I'm at loss to understand it. I saw some really clear holds on both their forwards and ours, not paid. And others that looked minimal paid. Holding the ball, the same deal. They say they have an umpiring review but I can NEVER find it. So I can't learn what they are doing and all I can do is WHINGE!!!

i STILL think we make the eight... :)

Serious question: If Hayward sustains a knock to the head sufficient to crack/fracture his jaw, accidental or not, why was that not head high contact?
Hayward and Simson had an accidental head clash. Take a close look at the replay on AFL or Swans website. Simpson's hard bit hit Hayward's softer bit. Unlucky but IMO no free either way.

Not sure we don't need Reg if fit. McDonald and Weidemann (sic) handy talls and might be a big ask for McCartin. Who was better than Melican so he most likely stays in 2s.
Interesting test for Match Committee.
I don't know that you can compare Melican to McCartin as they didn't play the same game. Yes they play (McCartin 1st time) the same role but who's to say Melican wouldn't have played well?

Anyway, McCartin is a competitive beast and that was evident yesterday but I just don't see how he's suited down back. I honestly thought Reid (who did a great job rucking) should've played back with McCartin forward. History will tell us however that it proved successful yesterday afternoon!

Dropped just about every kick that came near him - had a total mare in the air.

Yep
Would have been one of the clear best on if he had held on more

Great performance from Sinkers but let's not get ahead of ourselves. That was Carlton's #3 ruckman he was up against.

Minor quibble but 2 of their first 5 goals was Sinclair tapping it straight down their throat in defence for a snap.

Was still in my votes but was really frustrated with him early lol

Hayward and McVeigh big losses especially the latter. Don't really have anyone to replace him - certainly not in terms of the defensive general.
In a team that is having issues scoring, Hayward out is an huge issue. Pretty sure he averages 1.5 a game... for us losing that is a drama. Look for Papley to end up playing forward again. Personally, I'd send Parker down their for a few games...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minor quibble but 2 of their first 5 goals was Sinclair tapping it straight down their throat in defence for a snap.

Was still in my votes but was really frustrated with him early lol

Will be very interested to see what Longmire does when Naismith is fully fit because in theory the best combination is Naismith as our first ruck and Sinclair as a forward who also rucks, but with Buddy, Blakey and Reid (not to mention possibly McCartin) that would be a very very tall forward line if Sinclair was spending a lot more time there.

Will be very interested to see what Longmire does when Naismith is fully fit because in theory the best combination is Naismith as our first ruck and Sinclair as a forward who also rucks, but with Buddy, Blakey and Reid (not to mention possibly McCartin) that would be a very very tall forward line if Sinclair was spending a lot more time there.

I think we keep it as is. Though I don't rate Naismith at all.

I haven’t read anything else but this is my autopsy. Obviously a couple of forced changes next week and that’s probably for another day (well, it probably won’t be). McCartin, while serviceable, didn’t work. Ronke was down, but he was eventually important (c’mon that disallowed goal was not a free...umpire joke again). Parker way down but great to have a win where he doesn’t play well. Only noticed Mills when he entered midfield area (irony) and Aliir couldn’t catch a cold!

Thurlow, Heeney (he can be devastating if he doesn’t go missing), Reid, Sinclair and Lloyd after his s**t start were good. Jones in the middle was absolutely dynamic (BOG) and in a tie, I cannot praise the game of Kennedy enough!

Why didn't you think McCartin didn't work? Because of being played in defence? I agree he was servicable but I like that he doesn't like to lose a contest and when the ball went to ground he was pretty desperate. You thinking better placed forward?

Our Sponsored Player has all the attributes to have a really good year. Has pace, can kick, can make sound decisions.

In some ways I think he plays with the knowledge of being last picked and first dropped for many years. When he props, instead of using his instinct and running on or disposing quickly, it is as if he is afraid to make a mistake."
EFA and so I could agree... :)

McVeigh's kicks out of defense are pretty safe and accurate. He is a big loss in that respect most others tend to panic. He can get shown up at times but thought he was very poised yesterday.

McVeigh has been excellent for the last few years but we've got to start working out how we bring the ball out of defence effectively without him sooner or later. May as well be now - we can't rely on him eternally.

Why didn't you think McCartin didn't work? Because of being played in defence? I agree he was servicable but I like that he doesn't like to lose a contest and when the ball went to ground he was pretty desperate. You thinking better placed forward?
Yeah I do BB. Just my opinion but I thought Reid was more preferable as he was actually recruited as a backman. McCartin made some good spoils but I think his strength is marking...in the forward line.

Felt it was an improved effort. Heeney and Jones standouts. Kennedy was great in his role. Macca had a solid game as well. Papley did his job and Thurlow played his role. For me, Lloyd had me cursing in the first half. The amount of times he missed short kicks or handballs, or handball to the flat footed option did my head in and cost a couple of goals from not following his opponent a the defensive stoppage. While i thought AA was quiet, I wouldn't have said it was a mare like some have suggested. Don't think it was his opponent getting off the chain. Tackling however was 100x better than we have seen to date.

Forward half, we still continue to kick away from the advantage side of our forwards. When we did, we looked s**t hot. Dawson wasn't great but there was a flash of brilliance in the lead up to the Franklin / Papley soccer goal. Reid is timing his marking well, just needs to hold a few.

If I was coach I'd bring in Rose for Hayward (we have to reward those in form, no matter how many chances he has had.) and CO'R for Macca would be my selections. Would prefer no other changes to let others find their feet but wouldn't be surprised to see either Ronke or Dawson dropped for Stoddart.

McVeigh has been excellent for the last few years but we've got to start working out how we bring the ball out of defence effectively without him sooner or later. May as well be now - we can't rely on him eternally.

Of course we have to evolve past him and find the next group that can reliably get it out of the back line by hitting a free target. But whilst he's on the list he is currently our best at it so it's a shame to see him go down and depending on the extent (based on my own experience of missing a year) would be a bad way to finish. Well at least it was a win so many champions of the club finish their careers on a loss seeing as we have made finals for a lot of years consecutively.

Hope it's not the end for him. Keiran Jack here's your shot make the most of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back