Autopsy Swans Vs Bombers, R8 2019

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I don't know about Jack nipping about like a yapping dog but if he was greyhound he would have been put down at the end of the game. He got all of 8 possessions, made three tackles and gave two free kicks away. He kicked a point. All yap and no bite.

To be fair to Jack, it is worth noting that due to his head knock he only played a shade under 60% gametime. So using his 8 disposals etc as a measure of performance is somewhat flawed (happen to concede he was largely ineffective but the disposals are low because of gametime as much as anything).

I thought he was solid early on but pretty average after he came back on once he was assessed as not being concussed.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
On replay I thought Sinclair was in our best half dozen players.
He went ok and was a contributor. But I am old fashioned and like ruckmen to win the hit outs and take some pack marks. Thank god he was up against the appalling Bellchambers who also managed one mark. What happened to big blokes taking marks?

I have no doubt Jack's (non)concussion effected his game on Friday night, as did the pretty bruising tackle where his hip was crunched, as before that he did look pretty spritely. But this is a recurring theme with him now for the last few years. Even the slightest of contact seems to reduce him to a bloke that simply can't do anything. Can't run, can't tackle, can't kick, can't even keep his feet. He's ageing as it is not even considering that this is a contact sport, and the only way he'll get through a consistent stretch of games this year if he plays bruise-free footy. Can we really afford to carry him all year?

He went ok and was a contributor. But I am old fashioned and like ruckmen to win the hit outs and take some pack marks. Thank god he was up against the appalling Bellchambers who also managed one mark. What happened to big blokes taking marks?

There isn't too many of them nowadays. It's why Grundy is rated so highly, and it's why I recon English will be a star.

Not saying Sinkers was BOG or anything, but him getting a vote doesn't shock me.

I would oust Sinclair in a heartbeat if our list wasn't so lacking decent big men.

I would oust Sinclair in a heartbeat if our list wasn't so lacking decent big men.

The alternative has to be better, and I'm not sure Naismith is any better. Ideally we need a genuine tap ruck via trade, but they don't come cheap.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Can anyone please explain how Sinclair was given three votes? He battled manfully as always but he was beaten in the hit outs and took one mark?
Was much more influential in the ruck than Bellchambers and Clarke. The biggest knock people have had on him is that he doesn't tap it to our advantage, but he was great on Friday night. He also got a bunch of clearances himself.

The alternative has to be better, and I'm not sure Naismith is any better. Ideally we need a genuine tap ruck via trade, but they don't come cheap.

Name one pure tap ruckman that would be up for trade right now?

Hell even if we had kept Nank he is not a huge tap ruckman, he operates more as a tall midfielder who provides a contest in the ruck. Winning tap's to advantage isn't Naismith's problem, his problem lays with having an impact around the ground.

Hell even if we had kept Nank he is not a huge tap ruckman, he operates more as a tall midfielder who provides a contest in the ruck. Winning tap's to advantage isn't Naismith's problem, his problem lays with having an impact around the ground.

There was one obvious one last year-Preuss. That would be someone I’d have gone for especially if the alternative was Clarke. Preuss isn’t perfect but he’d suit these new rules.

There was one obvious one last year-Preuss. That would be someone I’d have gone for especially if the alternative was Clarke. Preuss isn’t perfect but he’d suit these new rules.

Preuss is more of a second forward who can play ruck (Actually a similar player to Sinclair).

Preuss is more of a second forward who can play ruck (Actually a similar player to Sinclair).

Maybe but he’d still help as we could easily play two rucks. Would give Sinkers some form of a chop out so to speak.

Letting go of Nankervis wasn’t our greatest moment so to speak though

Kapanis

Cancelled
Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney

Naismith gives us a huge advantage and impact, the problem is he's not available.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Robbie Fox paced it out with the most damaging and quickest rebounding half back in the competition and forced him wide in the last minute. If he hadn't have done that Saad would have run through the central corridor and passed into a goal kickable position. It was the play that saved us after Blakey's misdirected kick. Thank god it wasn't Jack chasing as he would have been ten metres behind Saad. Fox's contribution in providing run, second efforts and leg speed in the game was invaluable. The inclusion of COR (who played a very good game) and Fox has improved our ground speed. We need more of it. Jack hopefully won't be picked against North with either Rowbottom or Clarke coming in. I don't know about Jack nipping about like a yapping dog but if he was greyhound he would have been put down at the end of the game. He got all of 8 possessions, made three tackles and gave two free kicks away. He kicked a point. All yap and no bite.
Your criticism of Aliir is wrong. The backward kick was a legitimate soaking up of time. Dawson was hardly under any pressure unless you think taking an uncontested mark constitutes pressure for one of the best overhead marks in the competition. The idea of sending it up to our forward line was dangerous as Essendon are the quickest rebounding team in the competition on turnover, which is exactly what happened when Blakey misdirected the kick onto our half forward line.
I really like COR’s game, his best yet for us I feel. Small sample I know but I really liked his work down back, seemed more confident.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Reminds me of;
image.jpeg

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
Robinson talking about integrity in the footy world has about as much credibility as the Pope renouncing child sex abuse in the Catholic church.
Oddly enough Robbo was one of the few Victorian reporters that denounced our trade ban. But, yeh, he is certainly biased towards Essendon.

Opts

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
To be fair to Jack, it is worth noting that due to his head knock he only played a shade under 60% gametime. So using his 8 disposals etc as a measure of performance is somewhat flawed (happen to concede he was largely ineffective but the disposals are low because of gametime as much as anything).

I thought he was solid early on but pretty average after he came back on once he was assessed as not being concussed.
That might explain the last match but what about 95% of the last 60 games he's played? He's washed up and he needs to be playing in the Magoos.

Oddly enough Robbo was one of the few Victorian reporters that denounced our trade ban. But, yeh, he is certainly biased towards Essendon.

Oh for sure, I don't think he has some anti-Sydney bias. I think he has an anti-successful team bias. Maybe it's his beloved Bombers' drought when it comes to finals wins, but he seems to always love the underdogs and roots for them in any scenario, to the point he just displays blatant ignorance/hatred for anyone who dares to do better than the underdogs.

Actually that might just be a prerequisite of working for Fox. I've noticed there's a stark contrast in how Fox and Seven commentate. Fox are all about the underdogs. You've got Huddo, Robbo, Dunstall, Roos, Brown, David King etc who are all hopeless at hiding their enthusiasm for the underdog and then get the shits on when the underdog is losing. And on the flipside, CH7 seem to barrack for greatness. BT, Bruce, Dennis, Carey.. they all love ranting and raving about the better team. You watch a Hawthorn, Geelong or Swans game and they cannot hide their obsession with those teams. Every game we've played this year on a Thursday or Friday where we've looked very poor, Bruce has almost spent the game eulogising us instead of just accepting we're average and wanting other teams to have a chance for once. I think us supporters have handled our plummet to the bottom better than the folks at Seven!

Back