Autopsy Swans Vs Carlton Round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember watching enviously as Hayward and Florent burst onto the scene...smooth moving kids and Hayward an excellent shot at goal.

Disappointing to see both go backwards but this can happen in the development of young players. Both seem to have lost their confidence and spark.

Not sure if it's the game plan and the way Horse is using them...although on the surface the slightshot, play on at a high frequency gameplan should suit them.
I love them but Hayward just has the yips, it happens but maybe needs to grab some confidence in the 2’s just for a week or two. Florent, watch him inside, he’s just a completely different player to outside in my and others opinion and played a cracker only a few weeks back. They’ll be fine.

25% disposal efficiency today means he might as well not get it.

yeah, not good, though its an odd stat jack went at 86%

but he kicked wide and his player had to bust his arse to get it a fair few times

hayward has a lot of work to do, but he will be ok i think/hope

How was the coaching to man him up? I saw it on the TV, I heard it on the TV, apparently there are TV’s in the coaches box. When they upgrade the Royal Hall of Industries, they could send over the TV guy to fix the coaxial cable...fu**, they can fly me up!

The way I saw it we had an extra at the contest because we were losing the midfield.

So manning him up would return midfield dominance to them.

As it were with how we played today, it was a case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I love them but Hayward just has the yips, it happens but maybe needs to grab some confidence in the 2’s just for a week or two. Florent, watch him inside, he’s just a completely different player to outside in my and others opinion and played a cracker only a few weeks back. They’ll be fine.

Should be a relatively brief stint out of finals with a bunch of talented kids coming through.

However would desperately want to get a reliable big bodied inside mid & another key defender real quick.

From a list management POV they seem to have really dropped the ball in those 2 areas...Kennedy will retire soon with no heir apparent developing to support Parker. They should have realised this earlier though?

Down back for KPD's there's only really Melican and Aliir which is very light for depth, even if Rampe can play taller.

Should be a relatively brief stint out of finals with a bunch of talented kids coming through.

However would desperately want to get a reliable big bodied inside mid & another key defender real quick.

how about cripps?

From a list management POV they seem to have really dropped the ball in those 2 areas...Kennedy will retire soon with no heir apparent developing to support Parker. They should have realised this earlier though?

Down back for KPD's there's only really Melican and Aliir which is very light for depth, even if Rampe can play taller.
Rowbottom and Hewett are pretty good heirs, wouldn’t you think?

Yup, both going to be very good players. No issues with what you guys are building. Seriously talented young list and a good coach. Good slog today.

The way I saw it we had an extra at the contest because we were losing the midfield.

So manning him up would return midfield dominance to them.

As it were with how we played today, it was a case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
Rather take the risk at the midfield than have it run out the back. We were smashed in there anyway, pointless exercise really.

Last edited:
Rowbottom and Hewett are pretty good heirs, wouldn’t you think?

I probably haven't seen enough of them tbh to make an accurate call.

But i thought Rowbottom was playing at half back today? Could be wrong.

And my memory of Hewett is mostly as a run-with player rather than a ball winning bull in the Kennedy mould. Again maybe i just haven't payed close enough attention to Sydney. Certainly against Carlton he always seems to get the job on Cripps (and does a pretty good job).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I probably haven't seen enough of them tbh to make an accurate call.

But i thought Rowbottom was playing at half back today? Could be wrong.

And my memory of Hewett is mostly as a run-with player rather than a ball winning bull in the Kennedy mould. Again maybe i just haven't payed close enough attention to Sydney. Certainly against Carlton he always seems to get the job on Cripps (and does a pretty good job).
Yeah you’re wrong re Rowbottom. 12 tackles, beasted it.
Hewett kept Cripps to 3 possessions in the 3rd after he had 21 or so to half time.
We do need someone else though, it’s my opinion that we don’t rotate enough talent through there.

Mills and Lloyd are pretty hand defenders. Melican should have matured further but was injured last year. We also lost Grundy, Smith and Macca to injuries this year while lately Aliir has been forced to play ruck. It's not really something the club's list management could have foreseen but our back 6 is in transition earlier than expected.

Ours is a very young team in general and that inexperience showed in this game. Carlton handled the conidtions better than we did. Their long years at the bottom have gifted so many early draft picks that 2/3 of their team were top 16 picks. By contrast Swans have mostly built a team from draft leftovers.

Don't underestimate Hewett as a midfielder. At 23 and 188cm/85kg he's young but a good size. Another preseason and he'll be winning a lot more of his own ball. He's already stopping the best mids in the comp. Heeney is playing more forward at present to help our young forward line. Mills is an option once we relieve pressure on the defence. Blakey could also play as a mid in the future. He's only a kid but put 10kg more on his 196cm frame and he'll be a legend. Rowbottom is another good inside mid coming through. Not many can manage a senior midfield role at 18.

Give it time. This team is being built from the ground up

So looking ahead, we have Freo ..
In his presser Lyon noted Hawks first three goals came from frees. He implied at least one was dubious. Expect Freo will benefit.

I guess there will be changes. Coach Shee .. erm ... Longmire at his Presser hinted that Foxy could play as a ruckman. Who said the guy was the guy was not innovative, particularly as Sandilands may play. Coach Lifetime Contract does not seem all that impressed with McLean or Knoll.

Unclear whether McVeigh got through ok. If yes he will come in.

Coach will be desparate to play Buddy. Hopefully he has another week running laps.

I expect the Ins to be Fox and McVeigh. The outs I expect would be Ronke and COR.

These are the Ins and outs I expect, not what I would hope for.

Personally I hope the following changes are made.

Ins
1.. one of Amartey, McLean or Knoll. We need a tall bloke who is willing to compete. I think whichever of the three is fittest and mentally alert should get the gig.

2. Fox should play, though not as ruckman. He is adaptable and could tag - maybe Mundy or on a wing, taking his turn in CS clearances.

3. Rose should not have been dropped in the first place.

Outs
Jack- Too banged up to play well at this level. The Perth ground would also be torture for him.
Ronke - poor bugger is totally out of form but still tries his guts out.
Hayward - still contests well but the yips need fixing. Two or three weeks in the 2s may help him. A bag or two would restore confidence and enable a return for the last few games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back