Autopsy Swans Vs Carlton Round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

I am pretty sure I explained reasons for everything I said. I don't know how you get hissy fit out of that. It is also a bit much to respond to one poster's analysis with a critique of 'people on here'. I have never criticised the way we use hewett unless it has been a situation when we need to score a few goals or lose the match and horse just keeps him as a tagger. I have been very positive about the way papley bursts out of stoppages in the midfield (not so much his disposal). The point is he didn't even try that in the match. He was completely out coached by a team much lower than us on the table.

Fair enough if you don't watch his press conferences. I have just noticed that your analysis always seems to coincide pretty strongly with what he says after a game. Maybe thats why tedesco likes all your posts.;)

I do get emotional but I think I also explain what I am saying rather than just bagging or praising people thoughtlessly.

Amartey has been until recently playing ruck in the NEAFL reasonably long time and would offer more of a contest than reid or allir for that reason. He looks taller than those two to me but I'm sure you checked that out before posting as you are very thorough. But its not just the ruckmen themselves, it's how they allow us to play allure in defence and reid in the forwards.

It is an autopsy thread, so saying you predicted our general demise last year or last century isn't relevant to me. It's about analysing the game that just occurred; what we could of done better, especially when towelled up by the carlton coaches and players.

Fair calls on the hissy fit. Generalisation made apologies.

Re predicted demise, it might not be relevant to you but it is relevant to how I post which my response was in reference to.

I do watch the press conferences, I just haven’t watched this one yet so none of my commentary came from that.

Papley attended a few stoppages outside of the centre. I guess due to our current forward line (Buddy out, under performing Ronke, Hayward and Jack) they probably wanted to keep him in the forward half. I also like his drive around the clearances and echo your sentiments re his kicking in general play.

In all honesty I think what we saw yesterday was the team knowing they can’t make the finals anymore and therefore lacking a bit of drive/edge.

Fair calls on the hissy fit. Generalisation made apologies.

Re predicted demise, it might not be relevant to you but it is relevant to how I post which my response was in reference to.

I do watch the press conferences, I just haven’t watched this one yet so none of my commentary came from that.

Papley attended a few stoppages outside of the centre. I guess due to our current forward line (Buddy out, under performing Ronke, Hayward and Jack) they probably wanted to keep him in the forward half. I also like his drive around the clearances and echo your sentiments re his kicking in general play.

In all honesty I think what we saw yesterday was the team knowing they can’t make the finals anymore and therefore lacking a bit of drive/edge.
That sums it up pretty well but we certainly wouldn't hear that from the horses mouth.

The effort was really poor yesterday, in the same week the coach signed for two extra years.

That sums it up pretty well but we certainly wouldn't hear that from the horses mouth.

The effort was really poor yesterday, in the same week the coach signed for two extra years.

Lloyd was torn yet another new one by Gibbons. Yes Gibbons.

Jack? Speechless. It was all said when the team news broke.
Ronke? Had a game to rival KJ's and does not belong anywhere near AFL level.
If there was anyone to replace him Melican would not be playing seniors next week.

Longmire lost the game at the selection table. We should have chosen a ruckman. I would have gone with Amartey.
Horse didn't put a tag on Cripps until the second half. He is one of the best midfielders in the comp.

His debut season seems a lifetime ago when you look at the current Melican. Currently one of the worst one on one defenders in the competition hands down. Cannot get Body on his opposition because quite simply he cannot read the ball in flight the majority of the time because his football nous is bordering on dumb. He also does himself no favours by making his starting position from behind where time and time again he is led to the ball where he keeps his weekly frees against average in tact.

If last week was the air being let out of the tyres of a young team that had been playing pretty much full throttle footy for nearly two months, then this week was the wheels falling off completely and the car driving over the ravine. There was something very off about this performance. As much as I can forgive skills or lack of composure and blame it on youth, what I can’t accept is cheap and easy footy, which is what our boys served up yesterday. They seemed to want to do the bare minimum, and win the easy way.

Playing for free kicks instead of competing contests at 100%; choosing to abort tackles or smothers and making it somebody else’s problem. FFS, they couldn’t even be bothered getting down to the forward line to celebrate a kid kicking his first goal! They are the kind of things we cannot stand for, and I’m not used to seeing from a Swans outfit, let alone this passionate and enthusiastic young group. They’re the hallmarks of rabble clubs who cop ten goal thrashings. That shouldn’t be us, no matter how far off contending we are. The whole thing reeked of a group that’s already accepted the outcome of season 2019, and they were perhaps more invested on getting through the remainder of the season unscathed than on actually winning the game in front of them. Crossroads time for this young group to figure out what they want to achieve in the last month and a bit of this season.

i think a lot of our 28 plus aged players have fallen quicker than anticipated...

That will happen when injured senior players keep getting pushed and run themselves into the ground imo

Happened/happening to several players over the past few years

That will happen when injured senior players keep getting pushed and run themselves into the ground imo

Happened/happening to several players over the past few years

its happening with number 12

If last week was the air being let out of the tyres of a young team that had been playing pretty much full throttle footy for nearly two months, then this week was the wheels falling off completely and the car driving over the ravine. There was something very off about this performance. As much as I can forgive skills or lack of composure and blame it on youth, what I can’t accept is cheap and easy footy, which is what our boys served up yesterday. They seemed to want to do the bare minimum, and win the easy way.

Playing for free kicks instead of competing contests at 100%; choosing to abort tackles or smothers and making it somebody else’s problem. FFS, they couldn’t even be bothered getting down to the forward line to celebrate a kid kicking his first goal! They are the kind of things we cannot stand for, and I’m not used to seeing from a Swans outfit, let alone this passionate and enthusiastic young group. They’re the hallmarks of rabble clubs who cop ten goal thrashings. That shouldn’t be us, no matter how far off contending we are. The whole thing reeked of a group that’s already accepted the outcome of season 2019, and they were perhaps more invested on getting through the remainder of the season unscathed than on actually winning the game in front of them. Crossroads time for this young group to figure out what they want to achieve in the last month and a bit of this season.
Great post and very true, wasn't even just bad footy it was I don't give a shirt (thank you predictive text) footy

I don't think the players attitude was so poor. Skill errors and poor conversion killed us. Fix that and we'd have won. For the most part the effort was there.

The players are tired and sore. The older ones have carried such a load and the younger ones are asked to do more than should be expected of them. They still do a better job of fronting up positive each week than many fans do.

This is a difficult position for the team. Mathematically we're still a chance for finals but realistically very unlikely. The players need a lot of posititivity and an iron resolve to keep pushing for that narrow window. That constant effort to be at full steam can be draining. Ironically, if the window closes altogether they will probably relax and play their best football.

Just brought myself to rewatch the match highlights and what was clear was the number of times fumbles in defence cost the Swans goals. This has nothing to do with coaching or gameplan, however is a skill that can be done well or poorly on any given day. It was abundant during initial rounds of the season and occurred again on the weekend against the Blues.

The lost territory battle also was impacted by Match Committee not naming a designated ruckman to take on Kruezer, however poor hand and foot skills ultimately proved costly more than anything else on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney on the other hand were quite awful in this one. Injuries explain a bit, youth explains some, but when Carlton lead you at home all day, you have to wonder where the heart was.

The only positive from this was the Swans finally got through a game without injuries, which might reflect how they played.

Titus .. a good summary I think

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players started as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 21 Bounces

Florent 18 wing
Parker 18
Kennedy 17
Hewett 16
Jones 13 wing
Rowbottom 11
Cunningham 5 wing
Heeney 4 (3w, 1i)
Jack 3 wing

Rucks:
Allir 15
Reid 6

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Parker 3
Aliir 2
Kennedy 2
Hewett 1

1st Half - 10

Florent 9 wing
Parker 9
Kennedy 9
Jones 9 wing
Hewett 7
Rowbottom 5
Heeney 2 wing

Allir 6
Reid 4

Final Term - 7

Parker 6
Kennedy 6
Hewett 6
Florent 5 wing
Cunningham 5 wing
Rowbottom 3
Jack 3 wing
Jones 1 wing

Aliir 6
Reid 1

Notes: (these pertain to analysed games - 9 games analysed this season)
- Fewest starts for Heeney since Rd 20, 2016
- First rotation for Cunningham since Rd 2

Not sure which one you think has the "modicum" of talent, but a pretty disrespectful post to two wonderful Swans that have busted their arses for the club and one that is working bloody hard to get to that level.

Never said anything about talent, talking about class, polish, skills, however you want to call it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back