Unofficial Preview Swans Vs Cats 2022 GRAND FINAL. MCG. Last Sat in September @14:30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reid plays with Amartey or McLean as the sub
Tall as the sub is a big call. Help us keep our structure but if a mid goes down we'd be very tall

Sydney and Geelong combined record (2003-2022)
  • 34 finals appearances (Sydney 17, Geelong 17)
  • 21 preliminary finals appearances (Sydney 8, Geelong 13)
  • 12 grand final appearances (Sydney 6, Geelong 6)
  • 5 premierships (Sydney 2, Geelong 3)
Clash of two heavyweights of the modern era here.

Reid has to play idc if it's on one leg. Hopefully it's not too serious. At the time my first thoughts were we are 36 points up and he was put on ice to not risk further injury. Get those cortisone injections in

Both teams played the Pies in the finals. Cats scraped over by 6 points late in the game after trailing for large parts of the game.

Swans led the Pies by as much as 6 goals before hanging on, having never given up the lead.

Cats under pressure against the Pies looked average. If we bring the pressure we are a good chance.

From the time we played them in Round 2 the players that have come into the side that played tonight are Papley, Fox, McInerney, Clarke and Reid.

Those that have have dropped out of the side from that night are Cunningham, Kennedy, McLean, Wicks and Sheldrick.

McLean got 11 touches and kicked a goal in Round 2. I think he would be the best option to come into the side if Reid is not fit.

I’m not so worried that we looked out on our feet in the last term. We’d played 1 game in over 3 weeks going into today. Any team would struggle to run a game out strongly under those circumstances. We looked sharp as anything early but late in the game I think we just suffered from not having played much footy. Yes we went into our shells (that part needs work) but mostly we were just a bit gassed.

As an effective grand final preparation, I’d take a close hard fought hit out like we had over the 12 goal cakewalk the Cats played in.

I honestly reckon we’ll beat them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the last quarter again, it doesn’t seem as bad. We had probably 2-3 chances to seal it and on another day we take those chances. Not to mention the absolute freakish circumstances that left Sidebottom alone with time to snap that goal. We were 3 1/2 goals up with 5 minutes left and that’s a more accurate reflection than the 1 point margin at the end.

You can’t ask for a better lesson than that last quarter. We have no excuses against the Cats now and I am backing us in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like the way we played against the Pies actually made running out the game harder than it needed to be. We were so all-out attack - and not always being rewarded for it on the scoreboard - that I think we spent a lot of energy not being able to defend. I'd expect us to revert to the much more standard pressure-and-contest style against Geelong. It's more physical, sure, but not necessarily as taxing as slingshotting from end-to-end over and over.

We are a massive chance IMO. Amartey in for Reid as the most like-for-like (if Reid doesn't get up, which I honestly don't even want to entertain at this point...)

If you had told anyone on this board that we'd be heading into a Grand Final and it seems as if our hopes hinged on the fitness of Sam Reid...

Incredible happenstance really.

I think the only change I will make to the team, assuming Sam Reid gets up, is Harry Cunningham in as medisub over Braeden Campbell. Some of the decision making from Campbell today were a bit of a headscratcher, and I think it will benefit us more with a bit of experience coming in if there were to be an injury midgame next week.

Much as I love Logan, I would definitely bring in Amartey or McLean (even if Reid is fit). We know 100% that Geelong are going to try a Hawks 2014. They will do everything they can to beat up on the young Swans and intimidate them.

Having another big mature body shoving his weight around (and taking clutch marks) will be important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back