momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
This whole business of focusing on one decision trying to unofficially overturn the decision when you can't is pathetic. More so because AFL then has an official look at the decision to officially unofficially overturn it. What? .......so a whole club, it's supporters and officials can console themselves with the fact they actually won the game when they didn't.

If you want to look at the game as a whole I thought the umpires treated Geelong favourably. They got away with blue murder around HTB and incorrect disposal decisions. We managed to win despite the subconscious bias against us. We move on not the least because we OFFICIALLY won.
Unless a commentator mentions the footy gods and karma, I don’t listen.

those pesky kids ...
i don't like showboating at all but mcinerney had just been belted after taking the mark, no free kick, he goes back on the tough angle and just kicks it anyway, reckon he was entitled to feel pretty good about himself ... not sure about it after every goal but that one would've felt pretty good

Not only was he hit late, but in the moosh. It was a clear 50 and report. Did not happen. He did not whinge (imagine how Duckwood would have responded). He went back and kicked a great goal. In his boots I would have given the Oppo and umps an up yours.

In the Dons game he took a good mark and was quasi tunnelled and was clearly sore. Same deal - he went back and slotted the goal.

We actually kicked some pretty good goals. Paps two were more than handy, Ollie and Rowy's goals from angles were tough in game context. The best for me was Hickey grabbing the ball from the ruck, jinking to his right and slotting the goal on his wrong foot.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
This whole business of focusing on one decision trying to unofficially overturn the decision when you can't is pathetic. More so because AFL then has an official look at the decision to officially unofficially overturn it. What? .......so a whole club, it's supporters and officials can console themselves with the fact they actually won the game when they didn't.

If you want to look at the game as a whole I thought the umpires treated Geelong favourably. They got away with blue murder around HTB and incorrect disposal decisions. We managed to win despite the subconscious bias against us. We move on not the least because we OFFICIALLY won.
Oh absolutely.

those pesky kids ...
i don't like showboating at all but mcinerney had just been belted after taking the mark, no free kick, he goes back on the tough angle and just kicks it anyway, reckon he was entitled to feel pretty good about himself ... not sure about it after every goal but that one would've felt pretty good
Agreed, considering the circumstances he had every right to strut like a peacock!

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Tom Hickey..bottle his urine or something
Re Hickey's pivotal role in our victory, so is this where the modern game is at?

Good ruckmen are rare as hen's teeth; some clubs don't even have one, very few have two, and one of the biggest determinants of a club's success or failure is whether their #1 ruck can get on the paddock each week?

Probs for a MB thread, but is this where the AFL wants the game to be heading? Ruckmen basically the queen bees of the AFL hive, and talent scouts scouring the countryside to find those elusive attributes in youngsters?

Having got that off my chest, The Paddle Pop Lion is a joy to watch.

Imagine leaving the club of your father AND grandfather for a better offer

Hawthorn+Hawks+Training+Session+A36V-RtMEdCx.jpg

We didn't make Mitchell a good enough offer, another club did, he left. We lost that one and we won the Kennedy one.
The difference being Joey was barely getting a game and was on chump change.

Mitchell was getting games, was on decent coin and in fact got paid close to half a million a year in his first few years when he was known to be injured and wasn't going to be playing seniors. Was happy to be overpaid early but wasn't willing to take a minor hit later for the betterment of the team.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
those pesky kids ...
Completely agree he had every right to be chuffed and IMO he should have got 50m, but he slotted it anyway. That would feel good, sticking it to the opposition and the umpires. Still wish he'd keep a lid on it.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Completely agree he had every right to be chuffed and IMO he should have got 50m, but he slotted it anyway. That would feel good, sticking it to the opposition and the umpires. Still wish he'd keep a lid on it.
I'm all for more exuberance from our players. If they overstep the mark and it's perceived that they're not backing it up with real results, they'll get the message pretty swiftly from the crowd and the opposition players.

I have a theory that I have always used during games and it really came to the fore on Saturday night and even my husband - who has rubbished said theory for the twenty plus years we have followed the game, now has to agree!

The first team to kick 13 goals wins!

I have always believed this after I read it somewhere very early on in my Swans fanatic days and never has it been more relevant than Saturday night.
We were going to leave at about the 30 minute mark as we have a long drive home and a five minute early escape saves the best part of an hour on the trip, but I told my husband we had to stay to see who kicks the thirteenth goal and when it was us I insisted we had to see it through as we were going to win, even though we were still behind on the score board and had gone pretty much goal for goal most of the second half - best decision in years and totally worth not getting home till nearly 1am!

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Mitchell was getting games, was on decent coin and in fact got paid close to half a million a year in his first few years when he was known to be injured and wasn't going to be playing seniors. Was happy to be overpaid early but wasn't willing to take a minor hit later for the betterment of the team.
Pretty sure this trade was designed to sabotage the Hawks rebuild. Mitchell should be considered a Swans hero.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I have a theory that I have always used during games and it really came to the fore on Saturday night and even my husband - who has rubbished said theory for the twenty plus years we have followed the game, now has to agree!

The first team to kick 13 goals wins!

I have always believed this after I read it somewhere very early on in my Swans fanatic days and never has it been more relevant than Saturday night.
We were going to leave at about the 30 minute mark as we have a long drive home and a five minute early escape saves the best part of an hour on the trip, but I told my husband we had to stay to see who kicks the thirteenth goal and when it was us I insisted we had to see it through as we were going to win, even though we were still behind on the score board and had gone pretty much goal for goal most of the second half - best decision in years and totally worth not getting home till nearly 1am!
I went to the loo when we're 10 pts down feeling pretty miserable but came back and saw the boys were still up and about. Everything up from there.
Worth waiting for!

Hayden is the Swans Mark of the Week

Last edited:
Chad has the Swans Goal of the Week

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Chad has the Swans Goal of the Week
That was a classy goal but the match winner from Papley must've been close. Under pressure, 30 metres out on an angle and on his non-preferred foot.

Coaches votes;
View attachment 1117904

To date the Hickster has one Brownlow vote in his career.

Round 7 Sydney v Geelong 3 votes; T.Hickey , Sydney. :)
So 17 players have scored coaches votes across 7 rounds with 8 players 22 or under!

AFL Coaches Association’s AFL Champion Player Award

Leader Board for Swans

24 Tom Hickey SYD
13 Callum Mills SYD
10 Sam Wicks SYD
10 Luke Parker SYD
9 Errol Gulden (SYD)
9 Lance Franklin (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
6 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)