Autopsy Swans Vs Cats Rnd... 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a theory that I have always used during games and it really came to the fore on Saturday night and even my husband - who has rubbished said theory for the twenty plus years we have followed the game, now has to agree!

The first team to kick 13 goals wins!

I have always believed this after I read it somewhere very early on in my Swans fanatic days and never has it been more relevant than Saturday night.
We were going to leave at about the 30 minute mark as we have a long drive home and a five minute early escape saves the best part of an hour on the trip, but I told my husband we had to stay to see who kicks the thirteenth goal and when it was us I insisted we had to see it through as we were going to win, even though we were still behind on the score board and had gone pretty much goal for goal most of the second half - best decision in years and totally worth not getting home till nearly 1am!

You're weird Jewels and now you've infected your husband with your weirdness :po_O:think:

Shame on you for even thinking of sneaking out early but good on you for riding out the Q1. It was pretty ordinary footy

If Hickey isn't in the top 5 of our B&F I'll be disappointed.
Agree. Best bit of horse trading we ever did. I hope the recruitment work that helped us turn the club around is well recognised. Perhaps in the future we could dedicate our new club HQ to Kinnear Beatson, his recruitment team and those injured or killed when the old club HQ collapsed under the weight of all the trophies.

Strange sort of breakdown and indicates a fair divergence between the two coaches.

Hickey 5 & 5
Duncan 4 &2
Henry 4
Florent 3
McCartin 3
Rohan 2
McLean 1
Selwood 1
Thanks for these breakdowns.

I imagine that Duncan would of gotten 4 from Longmire, and McCartin probs got his votes from Scott (shut down their favourite Hawkins) whereas Florent was influential in our win meaning he would of been a bigger focus for longmires votes. Can't see longmire giving 2 to Rohan, and can't see longmire giving 1 point to selwood when McLean kicked 4.

I imagine that Duncan would of gotten 4 from Longmire, and McCartin probs got his votes from Scott (shut down their favourite Hawkins) whereas Florent was influential in our win meaning he would of been a bigger focus for longmires votes. Can't see longmire giving 2 to Rohan, and can't see longmire giving 1 point to selwood when McLean kicked 4.
That's the thing though if Longmire gave Duncan 4 he would have been the coach to give Rohan two votes, because obviously he can't vote for Duncan twice.

I agree with your view that Longmire would more likely to have been Florent 3 & McLean 1 and indeed also given the time we put into him Duncan he would have been 4 votes, but that leaves Rohan as 2 which does seem odd (if that is the case) given McLean's performance in comparison.

The other explanation is Horse gave Henry 4 & Duncan 2, but I didn't see us putting any particular time into Henry, whereas we moved Cunningham onto Duncan in a effort to curtail his influence and Henry would more likely to have got votes from Scott for 'playing his role'.

TL;dr I'm confused.

Doubt that 🐴 and Scott see eye to eye on a lot.

That's the thing though if Longmire gave Duncan 4 he would have been the coach to give Rohan two votes, because obviously he can't vote for Duncan twice.

I agree with your view that Longmire would more likely to have been Florent 3 & McLean 1 and indeed also given the time we put into him Duncan he would have been 4 votes, but that leaves Rohan as 2 which does seem odd (if that is the case) given McLean's performance in comparison.

The other explanation is Horse gave Henry 4 & Duncan 2, but I didn't see us putting any particular time into Henry, whereas we moved Cunningham onto Duncan in a effort to curtail his influence and Henry would more likely to have got votes from Scott for 'playing his role'.

TL;dr I'm confused.
Sorry, I got confused as well lol. Probably Rohan 2 then?

Chad has the Swans Goal of the Week
That was a real team lifter and a true team goal. It wasn't like we weren't showing some better signs early in the 2nd quarter, just that some didn't get the memo about the Geelong defence. Take Rowbum, courageously bursting out of defensive 50, he runs his full measure then tries to hit up Gulden with a long kick that hangs in the air long enough for seagulls to nest on it. Gulden does well to compete with a much larger and more experienced Zach Tuohy before the Geelong cavalry arrive and he's swamped by a 1 on 3. The ball is turned over again. At this point only Melican's superb one on one defence is keeping Geelong's forward 50 entries from turning into big bags of goals. As Geelong take the ball forward again McLean tries to intercept a mark. The ball comes loose but Selwood pounces on it. He swings around to send the ball into Geelong's attack again before ...."Go go Gadget Arms", Hickey wraps Captain Duckwood up in a huge tackle. Has Hickey nicked Dustin Fletcher's arms and sprayed his hands with Kennedy's special cologne Octopussy (by Calvin Klein) ? Heeney takes the advantage and hits up Mills who looks forward to see 5 Geelong jumpers set up across the 50m arc. He recalls the quarter time "chat" from Horse and hesitates, sensing a Geelong defensive trap. He swtiches play, going sideways to Florent which opens up the other side of the ground. Florent waits for the Geelong defender to be called to stand then farms out a handball to a hard running Dawson, who barely breaks stride ahead of a fast closing Rohan still lagging some 10-15m behind. Once again the commentators gush and fawn over Dawson's left boot and once again they put the kibosh on him. Instead of taking the extra 10 m Dawson offloads from on the 50. The distance is no problem but the ball steers left. He's no Stuey Maxfield. Signs are good though. Geelong kick long to a 3 on 1 but Dawson manages to bring the ball to ground. Still, Geelong win the contested ball and Menegola waltzes away while Papley and LLoyd look at each other. Cameron comes up to meet the long ball. Melican gives away front position but uses his body to move Cameron under the ball and marks at a long stretch. Hickey quickly sneaks out to the boundary as an outlet but Melican elects to send the ball long to a 2 on 1 contest in our favour, where Sinkers and McLean go up against Jack Henry. Sinkers seems to be trying to block out Henry but Henry still gets a fist in and McLean drops the mark. Hickey has followed the contest up the ground. He pounces like a cat on the loose ball. McLean tries to give him a shepherd but as Hickey draws three Cats he loops a long handball over the top of Sinkers, who is covered by Jack Henry, right out to Hayward who is up on the balls of his feet. With Jordan Clark closing quickly, Hayward fires a perfectly weighted handball in front of an already running Warner, keeping the ball one step ahead of the Geelong on-ballers. Warner hits the afterburners, blowing away a chasing Menegola. Papley is screaming for it but Paps seems unaware he has Tom Stewart lurking on him. Hayward is running hard in support on the outside. Warner dismisses a long centering ball to Gulden and, with Kennedy shouting encouragement from the inside, Warner offers a large bag of heavily discounted candy to a flat-footed Tom Atkins, who can't resist a bargain. Warner reaches the 50m paint and offloads a classic Stuey Maxfield style long goal, shepherded through by a selfless Heeney who throws himself into the path of Biclavs and a hard running Lachie Henderson, 200kg of intent with only Heeney between them and a touched ball. Heeney impedes their progress enough and is bowled into the fence for his troubles. It's not the first time he's taken one for the team and it wasn't to be the last. A few minutes later Biclavs puts a knee into Heeney's ribs. Payback ?

Was anyone not thinking "F*@K we needed that goal" ? Maybe not, only a few in the Swans crowd do anything more than clap politely. FFS people. This is not tennis. I expect the players could hear me shouting on the other side of the world "Wa waaa wassat ?" "Bungee's just seen the replay. Go back to sleep"

Footnote : Warner kept his celebrations for after the game. He fist pumps, he lets the boys get around, he acknowledges Hayward's handball. I can't see from the replay whether he acknowledges Heeney's sacrifice but I expect he would. His whole demeanour says "That was a team goal, and this games's not over yet". He was right on both counts. He'd unlocked the carefully guarded floodgates and it was party time at the fortress.

Last edited:
Hickeys clearances have been epic. I don’t understand how it’s taken him 12 years to produce this football

He always had flashes of this at the Saints.

The difference now is it looks like it's every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a real team lifter and a true team goal. It wasn't like we weren't showing some better signs early in the 2nd quarter, just that some didn't get the memo about the Geelong defence. Take Rowbum, courageously bursting out of defensive 50, he runs his full measure then tries to hit up Gulden with a long kick that hangs in the air long enough for seagulls to nest on it. Gulden does well to compete with a much larger and more experienced Zach Tuohy before the Geelong cavalry arrive and he's swamped by a 1 on 3. The ball is turned over again. At this point only Melican's superb one on one defence is keeping Geelong's forward 50 entries from turning into big bags of goals. As Geelong take the ball forward again McLean tries to intercept a mark. The ball comes loose but Selwood pounces on it. He swings around to send the ball into Geelong's attack again before ...."Go go Gadget Arms", Hickey wraps Captain Duckwood up in a huge tackle. Has Hickey nicked Dustin Fletcher's arms and sprayed his hands with Kennedy's special cologne Octopussy (by Calvin Klein) ? Heeney takes the advantage and hits up Mills who looks forward to see 5 Geelong jumpers set up across the 50m arc. He recalls the quarter time "chat" from Horse and hesitates, sensing a Geelong defensive trap. He swtiches play, going sideways to Florent which opens up the other side of the ground. Florent waits for the Geelong defender to be called to stand then farms out a handball to a hard running Dawson, who barely breaks stride ahead of a fast closing Rohan still lagging some 10-15m behind. Once again the commentators gush and fawn over Dawson's left boot and once again they put the kibosh on him. Instead of taking the extra 10 m Dawson offloads from on the 50. The distance is no problem but the ball steers left. He's no Stuey Maxfield. Signs are good though. Geelong kick long to a 3 on 1 but Dawson manages to bring the ball to ground. Still, Geelong win the contested ball and Menegola waltzes away while Papley and LLoyd look at each other. Cameron comes up to meet the long ball. Melican gives away front position but uses his body to move Cameron under the ball and marks at a long stretch. Hickey quickly sneaks out to the boundary as an outlet but Melican elects to send the ball long to 2 on 2 contest in our favour, where Sinkers and McLean go up against Jack Henry. Sinkers seems to be trying to block out Henry but Henry still gets a fist in and McLean drops the mark. Hickey has followed the contest up the ground. He pounces like a cat on the loose ball. McLean tries to give him a shepherd but as Hickey draws three Cats he loops a long handball over the top of Sinkers, who is covered by Jack Henry, right out to Hayward who is up on the balls of his feet. With Jordan Clark closing quickly, Hayward fires a perfectly weighted handball in front of an already running Warner, keeping the ball one step ahead of the Geelong on-ballers. Warner hits the afterburners, blowing away a chasing Menegola. Papley is screaming for it but Paps seems unaware he has Tom Stewart lurking on him. Hayward is running hard in support on the outside. Warner dismisses a long centering ball to Gulden and, with Kennedy shouting encouragement from the inside Warner offers a large bag of heavily discounted candy to a flat-footed Tom Atkins, who can'r resist a bargain. Warner reaches the 50m paint and offloads a classic Stuey Maxfield style long goal, shepherded through by a selfless Heeney who throws himself into the path of Biclavs and a hard running Lachie Henderson, 200kg of intent with only Heeney between them an a touched ball. Heeney impedes their progress enough and is bowled into the fence for his troubles. It's not the first time he's taken one for the team and it wasn't to be the last. A few minutes later Biclavs puts a knee into Heeney's ribs. Payback ?

Was anyone not thinking "F*@K we needed that goal" ? Maybe not, only a few in the Swans crowd do anything more than clap politely. FFS people. This is not tennis. I expect the players could hear me shouting on the other side of the world "Wa waaa wassat ?" "Bungee's just seen the replay. Go back to sleep"

Footnote : Warner kept his celebrations for after the game. He fist pumps, he lets the boys get around, he acknowledges Hayward's handball. I can't see from the replay whether he acknowledges Heeney's sacrifice but I expect he would. His whole demeanour says "That was a team goal, and this games's not over yet". He was right on both counts. If any one of

can you please call fox footy and put your hand up to do commentary/analysis for all swans games from now? at least for my viewing ... like the 'push red for fathead ed' c'wood crap of a few years ago ... i'd rather this than any of taylor, brayshaw, russell, brereton, darcy, ling, richardson, et al ... nice job

Last edited:
That was a real team lifter and a true team goal. It wasn't like we weren't showing some better signs early in the 2nd quarter, just that some didn't get the memo about the Geelong defence. Take Rowbum, courageously bursting out of defensive 50, he runs his full measure then tries to hit up Gulden with a long kick that hangs in the air long enough for seagulls to nest on it. Gulden does well to compete with a much larger and more experienced Zach Tuohy before the Geelong cavalry arrive and he's swamped by a 1 on 3. The ball is turned over again. At this point only Melican's superb one on one defence is keeping Geelong's forward 50 entries from turning into big bags of goals. As Geelong take the ball forward again McLean tries to intercept a mark. The ball comes loose but Selwood pounces on it. He swings around to send the ball into Geelong's attack again before ...."Go go Gadget Arms", Hickey wraps Captain Duckwood up in a huge tackle. Has Hickey nicked Dustin Fletcher's arms and sprayed his hands with Kennedy's special cologne Octopussy (by Calvin Klein) ? Heeney takes the advantage and hits up Mills who looks forward to see 5 Geelong jumpers set up across the 50m arc. He recalls the quarter time "chat" from Horse and hesitates, sensing a Geelong defensive trap. He swtiches play, going sideways to Florent which opens up the other side of the ground. Florent waits for the Geelong defender to be called to stand then farms out a handball to a hard running Dawson, who barely breaks stride ahead of a fast closing Rohan still lagging some 10-15m behind. Once again the commentators gush and fawn over Dawson's left boot and once again they put the kibosh on him. Instead of taking the extra 10 m Dawson offloads from on the 50. The distance is no problem but the ball steers left. He's no Stuey Maxfield. Signs are good though. Geelong kick long to a 3 on 1 but Dawson manages to bring the ball to ground. Still, Geelong win the contested ball and Menegola waltzes away while Papley and LLoyd look at each other. Cameron comes up to meet the long ball. Melican gives away front position but uses his body to move Cameron under the ball and marks at a long stretch. Hickey quickly sneaks out to the boundary as an outlet but Melican elects to send the ball long to 2 on 2 contest in our favour, where Sinkers and McLean go up against Jack Henry. Sinkers seems to be trying to block out Henry but Henry still gets a fist in and McLean drops the mark. Hickey has followed the contest up the ground. He pounces like a cat on the loose ball. McLean tries to give him a shepherd but as Hickey draws three Cats he loops a long handball over the top of Sinkers, who is covered by Jack Henry, right out to Hayward who is up on the balls of his feet. With Jordan Clark closing quickly, Hayward fires a perfectly weighted handball in front of an already running Warner, keeping the ball one step ahead of the Geelong on-ballers. Warner hits the afterburners, blowing away a chasing Menegola. Papley is screaming for it but Paps seems unaware he has Tom Stewart lurking on him. Hayward is running hard in support on the outside. Warner dismisses a long centering ball to Gulden and, with Kennedy shouting encouragement from the inside Warner offers a large bag of heavily discounted candy to a flat-footed Tom Atkins, who can'r resist a bargain. Warner reaches the 50m paint and offloads a classic Stuey Maxfield style long goal, shepherded through by a selfless Heeney who throws himself into the path of Biclavs and a hard running Lachie Henderson, 200kg of intent with only Heeney between them an a touched ball. Heeney impedes their progress enough and is bowled into the fence for his troubles. It's not the first time he's taken one for the team and it wasn't to be the last. A few minutes later Biclavs puts a knee into Heeney's ribs. Payback ?

Footnote : Warner kept his celebrations for after the game. He fist pumps, he lets the boys get around, he acknowledges Hayward's handball. I can't see from the replay whether he acknowledges Heeney's sacrifice but I expect he would. His whole demeanour says "That was a team goal, and this games's not over yet". He was right on both counts. If any one of
Absolutely superb! Sure you aren't Martin Flanagan?

can you please call fox footy and put your hand up to do commentary/analysis for all swans games from now? at least for my viewing ... like the 'push red for fathead ed' c'wood crap of a few years ago ... i'd rather this any of taylor, brayshaw, russell, brereton, darcy, ling, richardson, et al ... nice job
I actually like Ling’s commentary.

How else can I know that Team X needs to score more goals than Team Y if they are to win?

yep, any suggestion of scott being 'gracious' is wrong ... anything 'gracious' he says is patronising crap, trying to be ironic and clever, i've never bought any of it, he's an olympic-standard sook, an attention seeker doing all he can to deflect any spotlight on him for repeated failures in recent finals with one of the most salary-cap-defying, individually talented squads of the past decade ...
geelong have had a charmed run with umpires, overall, for years and they want to whinge about the last 30 seconds last night ... they can lick my bag
And I hope it's salty

The difference being Joey was barely getting a game and was on chump change.

Mitchell was getting games, was on decent coin and in fact got paid close to half a million a year in his first few years when he was known to be injured and wasn't going to be playing seniors. Was happy to be overpaid early but wasn't willing to take a minor hit later for the betterment of the team.
Yep. He's a COAT and belongs at Hawthorn.

I didn't see the game until late last night but I did read the thread and I wonder if the anxiety the occurs during the game affects comments.

* Hickey is playing elite footy for a ruck and this is weird but I think he is our most active mid as well.

* Stephens had a good game for his first 1sts game of the year (11) and his kicking is fine, I can hear echoes about a pick 5 wearing number 3 about 15 years ago. Will be B+ mid at least and maybe better. His running ability will provide us something that we need. Leaking 65 I50s every week is a massive problem. Yes only 14 possessions but doing his role.

*McLean has shown that after 1 full pre season he is a running machine and maybe develop into a similar role of Nick Riewoldt. Another preseason with working on agility, timing and marking and he can play Reid's role. 4 goals and running 16.7km is a huge game.

* We finally used the 'fat side forward' and got us two easy goals. When playing the boundaries or flanks you need a winger/HFF moving into the middle of the F50 and keeping well away from the defensive structure. Goals by Florent & Stephens shows we can get easy shots if the ball carriers know they are in position.

* Melican was really good and so was McCartin and footy is played differently to the Grundy/Richards time.

* Why do we 'play on' into trouble every week, big coaching/players problem.

* Heeney is to not fully right with his hand, dropped marks and not playing with the same power, (pre knee in the chest/gut). Still in pain or numb and can't feel ball.

* Rowbottom is not fully right either but is see so much ability in him.

* COR solid game and played as a defender not a covert mid.

* Dawson should be given the interceptor role and launch our attacks.

* How did our club decide that Fox was ranked player 39.

* Reality time - love winning games and building culture and beaten high ranking teams but we are exposed in transition week after week.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back