Autopsy Swans Vs Cats Rnd... 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know why people are so insistent on playing Heeney if he's not feeling good. He is obviously performing less than well, and I couldn't imagine playing is helping him heal.

His involvement has also been down on recent weeks. Get him right, he'll win games in the later part of the season, but he ain't winning anything playing like he is now.

Don't know why people are so insistent on playing Heeney if he's not feeling good. He is obviously performing less than well, and I couldn't imagine playing is helping him heal.

His involvement has also been down on recent weeks. Get him right, he'll win games in the later part of the season, but he ain't winning anything playing like he is now.
A broken hand doesn't stop you getting near the ball. I reckon Heeney is fine - just getting a lot of focus from oppo defenders.

A broken hand doesn't stop you getting near the ball. I reckon Heeney is fine - just getting a lot of focus from oppo defenders.
He dropped a mark in the dying seconds of the game. That mark would of prevented the Cameron and Rowbottom controversy.

Rewatch and tell that he doesn't take that mark 100/100 when feeling confident in his body.

He dropped a mark in the dying seconds of the game. That mark would of prevented the Cameron and Rowbottom controversy.

Rewatch and tell that he doesn't take that mark 100/100 when feeling confident in his body.
Blicav's knee to his sternum must have knocked him around terribly. He'd be lucky to escape without fractured ribs or sternum. Blicavs is at least 100kg, with a lot of force in the upward propulsion of an attempted mark. I wouldn't be attributing many of his slip-ups in that match to his hand if they occurred after that incident. I was worried he might have sustained a Lachie Whitfield bruised liver type injury.

Blicav's knee to his sternum must have knocked him around terribly. He'd be lucky to escape without fractured ribs or sternum. Blicavs is at least 100kg, with a lot of force in the upward propulsion of an attempted mark. I wouldn't be attributing many of his slip-ups in that match to his hand if they occurred after that incident. I was worried he might have sustained a Lachie Whitfield bruised liver type injury.

Only 24yrs old taken a hella beating to his body hope it doesn't effect his longevity in the game.

Absolutely superb! Sure you aren't Martin Flanagan?

Thanks but no, not me. I'm half a world away (literally). I posted it before I'd quite finished as I'd had to race out the door. Tidied up a bit now.

Horse had clearly learned from the GC game. We changed tack in Q2, turning the game into a slugfest, restricting Geelong's ability to play their own game, running in numbers, flooding back when Geelong had the ball and when we hit their defence it was a slow build up until we could pick a hole in the Geelong defence by forcing them to make a mistake. Last week against GC and in Q1 of this game our forwards were too static. We were too predictable and relied on too few players. A defence like Geelong eats static forwards. Unpredictable forwards are harder to defend against and holes start to open up. Those holes allowed our on-ballers, like Florent, Hickey, Rowbum, McInerney, Stephens, Warner to pop up univited and kick goals. Their defence wanted to play tag but we made them play whack-a-mole.

Someone suggested that Pap's last goal was just as special. Indeed it was special, a great goal on his non-preferred foot to seal the deal, but this was the team goal we needed to even begin to have a deal to seal. This was the goal that got our boys tails up and gave them a sniff. 10 of our 18 were involved in it and all needed to play their roles, some roles were crucially important, those of Melican, McLean, Hickey, Hayward, Warner and Heeney but others played important supporting roles - as I did after I was demoted to the role of a snow topped fir tree in my Grade 5 Christmas play. What's Christmas without a sour-faced flour dusted singing tree ?

Let's look at how those roles were played. This goal started at 18:10 in Q2 with Melican's great defensive mark, taking Cameron from behind - the line "Squeal like a pig" from the film Deliverance jumped univited into my head. Melican had to hold out Cameron and protect the drop. He had to mark or it would have been Rohan v. Florent in a sprint goalwards. Geelong quickly set up to block the corridor. Short options were also blocked so Melican had to kick it really long to clear the Geelong press, to where the Swans big men coming together and Hayward running from the centre had created an outnumber. McLean and Sinkers had to make a contest, at least to bring the ball to ground. Hickey had to be on the move to be front and centre between Menegola and Cam Guthrie. He had to collect the ball quickly and cleanly on the first bounce, and to draw his opponents before firing off a handball. It had to be accurate, perfectly weighted, over Sinkers and long to Hayward. Sinkers had to let it go, he was too close. Hayward had to be wound up like a spring, poised on the balls of his feet when he took the ball, ready to rotate and fire a handball out in front of Warner, as Jordan Clark was closing down the space quickly. When Geelong are on they don't give you any time, you have to earn it. Warner had to be already running hard forward, prepared to break hard ahead of the play, trusting his teammates would come through. Hayward needed to use the momentum from Jordan Clark's tackle to immediately run with Warner to give him the confidence to sell candy. Warner had to know he had support. Papley and Gulden needed to be moving, attracting attention, unsettling the defence. Kennedy had to run to shout and wave directions to help Warner pick the right option, if needed. Heeney had to clock that Warner was going to take a ping and needed to belt back to the goal square before any defender in order to defend the goal face for the ball to carry through untouched, even if that meant taking a pounding.

Warner deserves most of the credit for the goal but credit is due to many others too. Perhaps none more so than Hayward, whose hard running to create an outnumber was key. He often cops a hiding from our fans. Perhaps never more so than when he made that awful decision to take the advantage near goal. Still, if a player isn't prepared to make mistakes they won't create either. Success and failure are two sides of the same coin but you've got to be prepared to toss the coin. Hayward's hard running and courageous marking had a big impact on this game. He had only 10 touches and 4 marks, but all 4 of those marks were contested (a team high), 9 of his 10 touches were contested (team 3rd), and 5 of his touches were score involvements. Hayward wasn't running hard to pick off uncontested possessions in space, he was running to get to contest after contest to give us numbers around the ball. Whether he got a touch or not, he helped give someone else a chance.

Some on here don't give Geelong much credence either. Their slow start to 2021 aside, they've probably played more finals than any other team over the past 15 years. That's not a fluke. They're a slick team when they're on, especially in defence. They don't make many mistakes, even under pressure. Warner's goal showed that a team effort was needed to create an error and bust through. Much like Richmond did in the GF when they were on the back foot. A team has to be creative and confident to beat Geelong. If any one of the players involved had failed to play their part, however minor, the story could so easily have not been written. But they backed each other and the story is a legend now - or it will be by the time I've written yet another version of the same goal. Soz. :oops:

Biclavs also creamed him as he defended the goal face to let the Warner goal go through. Tough night for Heeney

I didn't see the game until late last night but I did read the thread and I wonder if the anxiety the occurs during the game affects comments.

* Hickey is playing elite footy for a ruck and this is weird but I think he is our most active mid as well.

* Stephens had a good game for his first 1sts game of the year (11) and his kicking is fine, I can hear echoes about a pick 5 wearing number 3 about 15 years ago. Will be B+ mid at least and maybe better. His running ability will provide us something that we need. Leaking 65 I50s every week is a massive problem. Yes only 14 possessions but doing his role.

*McLean has shown that after 1 full pre season he is a running machine and maybe develop into a similar role of Nick Riewoldt. Another preseason with working on agility, timing and marking and he can play Reid's role. 4 goals and running 16.7km is a huge game.

* We finally used the 'fat side forward' and got us two easy goals. When playing the boundaries or flanks you need a winger/HFF moving into the middle of the F50 and keeping well away from the defensive structure. Goals by Florent & Stephens shows we can get easy shots if the ball carriers know they are in position.

* Melican was really good and so was McCartin and footy is played differently to the Grundy/Richards time.

* Why do we 'play on' into trouble every week, big coaching/players problem.

* Heeney is to not fully right with his hand, dropped marks and not playing with the same power, (pre knee in the chest/gut). Still in pain or numb and can't feel ball.

* Rowbottom is not fully right either but is see so much ability in him.

* COR solid game and played as a defender not a covert mid.

* Dawson should be given the interceptor role and launch our attacks.

* How did our club decide that Fox was ranked player 39.

* Reality time - love winning games and building culture and beaten high ranking teams but we are exposed in transition week after week.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
Hickey is a mid-fielder who can ruck. More contested possessions than any other mid, better disposal, sneaks forward and gets a goal, lays a load of tackles.

I hope Fox or Rampe can get back next game. Stephens did well and was clean with his ball use but those two can play tall or short. If Melican's out we'll need help. He was huge until the injury. Best game of his that I can remember.

Coaches are having a laugh if they think Rohan was more influential than McLean.
Maybe not ahead of McLean but I'd have been very happy if Rohan had served up that performance when he was a Swan. That chase down tackle inside 50 was vintage Rohan. Personally I always liked him as a player. He's clearly been through a lot and had lots of emotional baggage to drag around. I hope he gets his life sorted out.

Going nuts after the win :roflv1: :roflv1: :roflv1: :roflv1: :hearteyes: There's nothing like that roar when the siren sounds and you're in front after a close game.

makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck watching that.

Sam Moystyn, one our board members, posted this after the game

😍
PS. Before the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back