Autopsy Swans Vs Crows Rnd 2 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadl
Clarke had just about the worst game I've seen from one of our players in a long time. Deer in the headlights.

What hurts is that Adelaide were fairly crap as well. If we'd played a competent side that was an 80 point loss.

No cohesion. Nobody working as a team. They looked like they all just for the first time today. No heart. Terrible decision making.

I'm usually all rainbows and unicorns but that is an unacceptable performance.
sadly, I think you’re right. Where is captain Rampe? Nowhere. Florent out of position time and time again. Ryan Clarke should never have been in our starting side. He makes Foote look good. I think we can put together some decent performances this year, but the midfield has to play out of its skin to achieve this.

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match, in case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces. I'll be posting these after all of Sydney's FTA matches (into Melbourne). As I didn't post the Rd 1 stats in a timely fashion, I've thrown them in as well.

Overall Summary - 23 Bounces

Kennedy 20
Cunningham 17 wing
Papley 17
Jones 16 (9w, 7i)
Parker 12
Florent 11 wing (1i)
Heeney 7 (2w)
Hewett 6
Clarke 5 wing
O'Riordan 2 wing
Blakey 1
Reid 1 wing

Rucks:

Sinclair 21 (Jacobs 19)
Aliir 2 (Jenkins 4)

1st Half - 13

Kennedy 12
Jones 9 (5i, 4w)
Parker 9
Florent 8 wing (1i)
Cunningham 7 wing
Papley 7
Clarke 5 wing
Heeney 4
O'Riordan 2 wing
Blakey 1
Reid 1 wing

2nd Half - 10

Cunningham 10 wing
Papley 10
Kennedy 8
Jones 7 (5w, 2i)
Hewett 6
Parker 3
Florent 3 wing
Heeney 3 (2w, 1i)

Notes:
- Papley's returns to the top 6 mids for the first time (in analysed games) since Rd 18, 2017 - this was the 25th game analysed since.
- Obviously Hewett was tagging Laird (for the first 3 Qs), but this is the first analysed game he hasn't finished as a top 6 mid since Rd 9, 2018 - 12 games analysed since.
- Hewett's 6 attendances came from the final 7 bounces.
- The 2nd game in succession that Clarke has been jettisoned from the midfield rotation - last week he didn't feature in Q4, this time nothing in the 2nd half.

-------

Rd 1: Overall Summary - 23 Bounces

Parker 16
Heeney 14 (2w)
Florent 14 wing (1i)
Hewett 13
Cunningham 12 wing
Kennedy 12
Jones 11 wing
Clarke 8 wing
Papley 8
Mills 5
Hayward 2 wing

Rucks:

Sinclair 19
Aliir 2
Grundy 2

Rd 1 Notes:
- Whilst finishing equal 2nd overall, Heeney's numbers were heavily skewed - attending 11 (of 14) bounces in the 2nd half compared to only 3 (of 9) in the first.
- All of Mills's starts occurred in the 3rd (replacing Jones in the rotation).
- No midfield starts for Dawson, despite rotating through during the pre-season games - he still has more bounce attendances as a ruck than as an inside mid (8 to 3).
Thanks for these insights. I think including Wing distracts from the value though. The wing at center bounces is as close to the bounce as CHB and CHF is.

Would suggest excluding wing in future if you’re trying to measure individual influence on team clearance numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back