Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Dees - AFL Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Won most stats.

This is weird, interchanges made:
Melb 74/75
Swans 65/75. We avg 69.

Anyone know why our interchanges might be soo low?

Hard fought loss against an unbeaten team, in form and full of confidence, on their deck.

Struggled to take a mark I50, but apart from that a decent all round team performance.

Earlier this week I banged on about our lack of I50 tackles.
Really pleased to see us win that measure 34-14 tonight.
Indicative of our pressure and endeavour all around the ground.

Can't win them all, but provided effort is there as it was tonight, little complaint from me.

Last edited:
Fair play to dees... they are set up well and didn’t allow for any easy passages out. They were the better team, but somehow felt like we should have finished off the 4th better.

Clayton Oliver is frustratingly good at getting quick hands at the stoppage and they are out.

Crazy to think we were going to let Robbie fox go last year...

Loved Warner, rampe, Parker and mills

Frustrating loss but ultimately a pretty encouraging effort I thought - hung in there really well in the middle of the game while being outplayed and were right in the thick of it at the end.

Very impressed with the Dees though - they look very legit. The fact that we went with them for most of the game shows we are going well and should play finals.

I've loved Sinkers and what he brought to us over the years, but enough, offers zero up forward. You want a forward play a forward not a ruck that is sort of half tall and might mark 1 in 25.

In terms of the game, career defining game for Mills. If I hear the words "move him back to defence" again I'll go nuts. Blake is a bonafide star and he should be in the midfield full time. Work the midfield around him.

Gee Oliver was good, he tore us to shreds. Every possession he got he seemed to use well and we couldn't stick a tackle on him.

Hickey again was big for us about the best we could've hoped for him to do against Gawn.

When you look at how out matched we seemed in defense it was a polar opposite to their well structured defense. May gave Buddy an absolute bath.

I feel like we lost this at the selection table here. 3 tall forwards who are pretty poor at ground level and defensively on a wet night against a high pressure team. Big gamble that didn't pay off.

We need a bit of good weather next week so we can get back to playing like we started the season.

Plenty of comments in the game day thread which are positive about the performance but I never felt we were in the game after the first 10 minutes.

A night where you must make the most of your chances and maintain discipline. We failed at both.

Papley was a live wire but trying to create scenarios when at times it required first thought disposal.

Skill errors were our downfall many times kicking direct to the opposition or executing the hospital handball. They spread across to block our switch and did it very well but it was a frustrating night where we weren't clean. Nearly everything we did was a double effort due to not picking the ball up cleanly or just getting the ball out to running players. Melbourne pick up handball and they were away.

Ben Brown constantly gets lambasted for being a spud but he is a terrible match up for our undersized defence. And his height is usually effective for those big awkward marks.

Wicks can have a week off for his tackle after the ball was over the boundary was never going to be anything other than a free against. Very disappointed in that one moe than Paley lipping off.

Rampe back was a blessing and his abbility to 360 a guy in the air was impressive. Strong boy.

Sinclair leading and using one arm to hold off the defender and going up for the mark one handed was nuts. He already at that point proved that two arms weren't even enough. A trier, a fan favourite but he has to go he is just not up to it. Hope that Reid can take his place soon.

Not playing McDonald instead who provides a genuine option makes me perplexed. I can only think his tank isn't there yet.

Kennedy was immense, he is a smart guy that is coming to terms with his limitations but adjusting to them.

We bombed again which just doesn't seem to go anywhere for us. Need Warwick Capper for that style.

So most of that was negative but a highly frustrating effort for me but more so born out of playing night footy as we are a team that doesn't make so many errors when it's dry IMO.

Postive is we kept in the game dispite my thoughts on how we were going about it and Cunningham and Fox beat their opponents and not a bad return for Fox other than that kick straight to the Dees.

Don't believe we took any additional injuries out of the game so edging back to our best side. Need to start selecting a bit better and three talls forward was a weird choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mixed feelings, glad we stayed in it while most of our team was very poor to average.

My goodness Hickey and Papely tried all night.

Florent is so terrible its scary no idea what any of you see in him, let alone continually think he is in our best few week in and week out. Absolute torture even shanking handballs tonight in attacking movements killing momentum.

We played to tall at the selection table for a wet weather game.

We played too many players with the names of Sinclair, Florent and Fox.

Despite all that we were very close to an upset, we have an absolute truckload of improvement left in us too and we still nearly won.

Gee Oliver was good, he tore us to shreds. Every possession he got he seemed to use well and we couldn't stick a tackle on him.

Hickey again was big for us about the best we could've hoped for him to do against Gawn.

When you look at how out matched we seemed in defense it was a polar opposite to their well structured defense. May gave Buddy an absolute bath.

I feel like we lost this at the selection table here. 3 tall forwards who are pretty poor at ground level and defensively on a wet night against a high pressure team. Big gamble that didn't pay off.

We need a bit of good weather next week so we can get back to playing like we started the season.
Oliver murdered us all night.

Special mention to:
Cunningham's game on Kysaiah "Kozzie" Pickett and well done for Kozzie's gameship when Harry landed on the table/chair inside the ground.
Callum Sinclair's effort in the last quarter
Robbie Fox, first game for the season, worked hard in the last quarter.
Tom Hickey had a good game against the AFL's best ruckman in Max Gawn

#ProudlyBloods #ProudlySydney #GoBloods #bloods

Last edited:
Yeah. Effort was there and you feel that if we meet again there's a chance we can get the win next time. It wasn't pretty by any means. Fox did enough to keep his place I feel. Mills was mighty in the middle.

yeah, we're saving a bit for the grand final ... melbourne just have to hope they make it there to meet us

Great to have Rampe and Fox back. Ollie Florent is having a consistent year and looks to have so much more time with the ball. Rowbottom got better as the game went on and seemed to be involved in everything for a while in the last quarter.

I'm not as upset as losing that one as I usually am after a loss. We had a decent crack at that and we were playing the undefeated top team on their home deck in the rain. Plus they are actually a pretty balanced and very fast team.

I'd love to know what the result would be in a parallel universe where we had a fit Isaac Heeney as I suspect he would have thrived in this game.

Fox was shocking in the first half and brilliant in the second. Clearly took a beat to find his rhythm but got there. Will be important going forward.

Gulden isn't begging to be dropped but he is showing some frustration. May benefit from a rotation to get some leather poisoning in the VFL. Same with Wicks, though I wouldn't rotate both. Application is there but discipline is slipping and they're struggling to get involved.

Kennedy didn't have a huge night but it was one of his more effective games on a per possession basis in a while. Thought we might have benefited from trying him on Oliver though.

Mills was dominant, Parker lifted as the game went on, Dawson was immense in the 3rd and solid throughout.

Hickey dominated early but of course Gawn soon showed why he's the best ruckman in the competition. Hickey still very respectable, Gawn took the chocolates in the end on account of his tap work but Hickey was dangerous around the ground.

Florent and Papley both had "almost" games. Could have had a much bigger influence but for a fumble here, a bad bounce there.

Rampe was just a rock down back, and covered for McCartin showing his inexperience, though credit to McCartin he kept his head up, lifted, and won some key contests in the second half.

Cunningham smashed Pickett.

And Warner... wasn't a massive game on the stats sheet but he just makes things happen. Playing some fantastic footy.

We won three of the quarters but the second quarter we lost and that was the game changing lead that we couldn’t reel back in.

Demons are well drilled as they didn’t give us much all night. Our tall forwards struggled although conditions late didn’t help either.

I think we are to tall with Sinclair and need Heeney back ft and healthy.

Plenty of strong performances with just some poor discipline giving away soft free kicks hurting us.

Despite the result worth the trip down here. Boys can hold their heads up, a couple of missed opportunities (and puzzling ump decisions), swung it to the Dees.
Just a thought on Buddy, obviously well down on match fitness, a week or two in the vfl to find that?
When Sydney got the free flowing football happening they look at their best, when they stopped and allowed Melbourne to plug the gaps they struggled.

Walking away not unhappy. We had our chances but we were also battling against a clear agenda. Things that cost us were playing too tall a forward line, some skill errors through the middle and our forward 50 entries not being too advantage. We sort that and we win by 3 goals. Tackling was great, it’s such a shame we were not rewarded. It’s days like today where you just wish the coach would say it at the presser. The other thing that baffles me was the two marks not paid to McLean yet a ball that had 4 sets of hands on it and was uncontrolled all the way to the ground was paid. We got stiffed tonight and nothing will be said. It is concerning that after the controversial decision last week that the team that got wronged got a ride last night and the team that got the benefit got screwed tonight. It happens way too often to be a coincidence it makes a mockery of the concern over mobile phones in the room when you have umpires with agendas like that.

Plenty of comments in the game day thread which are positive about the performance but I never felt we were in the game after the first 10 minutes.

A night where you must make the most of your chances and maintain discipline. We failed at both.

Papley was a live wire but trying to create scenarios when at times it required first thought disposal.

Skill errors were our downfall many times kicking direct to the opposition or executing the hospital handball. They spread across to block our switch and did it very well but it was a frustrating night where we weren't clean. Nearly everything we did was a double effort due to not picking the ball up cleanly or just getting the ball out to running players. Melbourne pick up handball and they were away.

Ben Brown constantly gets lambasted for being a spud but he is a terrible match up for our undersized defence. And his height is usually effective for those big awkward marks.

Wicks can have a week off for his tackle after the ball was over the boundary was never going to be anything other than a free against. Very disappointed in that one moe than Paley lipping off.

Rampe back was a blessing and his abbility to 360 a guy in the air was impressive. Strong boy.

Sinclair leading and using one arm to hold off the defender and going up for the mark one handed was nuts. He already at that point proved that two arms weren't even enough. A trier, a fan favourite but he has to go he is just not up to it. Hope that Reid can take his place soon.

Not playing McDonald instead who provides a genuine option makes me perplexed. I can only think his tank isn't there yet.

Kennedy was immense, he is a smart guy that is coming to terms with his limitations but adjusting to them.

We bombed again which just doesn't seem to go anywhere for us. Need Warwick Capper for that style.

So most of that was negative but a highly frustrating effort for me but more so born out of playing night footy as we are a team that doesn't make so many errors when it's dry IMO.

Postive is we kept in the game dispite my thoughts on how we were going about it and Cunningham and Fox beat their opponents and not a bad return for Fox other than that kick straight to the Dees.

Don't believe we took any additional injuries out of the game so edging back to our best side. Need to start selecting a bit better and three talls forward was a weird choice.

think that's surprisingly negative ... we did win three quarters, and we didn't take chances, particularly in the second, the one quarter we lost ...
just one more goal in two of those three quarters and we win it ... we were not at our best but we were that close to winning the game ... against the competition benchmark ... the closest, toughest game they've had all year ...
we will get so much better from this ... and there's more improvement to come from us than them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back