Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Dees - AFL Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Errol supplied a lot of those kicks. He spent a lot of time about 70m out but now he seems to be deeper in the forward 50.
That's true. He has been forced to play other roles lately which will be good for his development but sucks that we aren't using his potential goal assisting. In saying that between him, Wicks, Papley, and Hayward with the help of the midfield really stepped it up in the forward pressure.

Plenty of comments in the game day thread which are positive about the performance but I never felt we were in the game after the first 10 minutes.

A night where you must make the most of your chances and maintain discipline. We failed at both.

Papley was a live wire but trying to create scenarios when at times it required first thought disposal.

Skill errors were our downfall many times kicking direct to the opposition or executing the hospital handball. They spread across to block our switch and did it very well but it was a frustrating night where we weren't clean. Nearly everything we did was a double effort due to not picking the ball up cleanly or just getting the ball out to running players. Melbourne pick up handball and they were away.

Ben Brown constantly gets lambasted for being a spud but he is a terrible match up for our undersized defence. And his height is usually effective for those big awkward marks.

Wicks can have a week off for his tackle after the ball was over the boundary was never going to be anything other than a free against. Very disappointed in that one moe than Paley lipping off.

Rampe back was a blessing and his abbility to 360 a guy in the air was impressive. Strong boy.

Sinclair leading and using one arm to hold off the defender and going up for the mark one handed was nuts. He already at that point proved that two arms weren't even enough. A trier, a fan favourite but he has to go he is just not up to it. Hope that Reid can take his place soon.

Not playing McDonald instead who provides a genuine option makes me perplexed. I can only think his tank isn't there yet.

Kennedy was immense, he is a smart guy that is coming to terms with his limitations but adjusting to them.

We bombed again which just doesn't seem to go anywhere for us. Need Warwick Capper for that style.

So most of that was negative but a highly frustrating effort for me but more so born out of playing night footy as we are a team that doesn't make so many errors when it's dry IMO.

Postive is we kept in the game dispite my thoughts on how we were going about it and Cunningham and Fox beat their opponents and not a bad return for Fox other than that kick straight to the Dees.

Don't believe we took any additional injuries out of the game so edging back to our best side. Need to start selecting a bit better and three talls forward was a weird choice.
Thanks for the first honest appraisal. There are so many sycophants on here, or worse, the "everyone gets a prize" or "medal for effort" types. We played crap. There's no such thing as good crap, it's just crap. There is only one aim in footy, one measure of success, to win. Nothing else, that's the only goal. In that we failed. There's no prize for 2nd. I start to chunk up when I hear praise for Melbourne players on the Swans board. No, we don't affectionately call them "The Dees" , we call them Melbourne, a bunch of whiney little pricks we should have thrashed and whom we'll skin alive next time we get the chance. We will never serve up this abysmal rubbish again. We were rubbish. We lost a game we had no right to lose.

I’m in two minds. On one hand it was a frustrating game and it felt like we were chasing all night despite never being too far behind. On the other hand there was stacks to take away from that as a developing side. Full of pride for the effort we put in, we just weren’t quite good enough (yet!).

It says a lot about our ability to stay in the hunt that Melbourne looked to have our measure yet I still found myself daring to hope on more than a few occasions.

On another note, did anybody else find it frustrating listening to Hamish, “Darce”, Richo and the entire ch.7 commentary team wax lyrical all night about how amazing the Dees are? Maybe it’s just the one eyed supporter in me but if you just listened to them and didn’t watch the game you’d think we were trailing the Melbourne Globetrotters by 15 goals all night and didn’t even deserve to be on the same field while they mesmerised us with their all round brilliance. Anybody else find that or was it just me?
Not just you. Richo makes me sick with his fawning

Buddy’s worst game for the club
Perhaps not entirely his fault, unless he put his hand up as being super ready, because Horse said in the presser that we had to manage him through the game by resting him at the 15 min mark of each quarter.
So in an important game against the top team that we just lost by 9 points, we go in managing two players, including Hickey, needing backup in the ruck for him, Sinclair, with McLean coming off a 4 goal game. It's plain to see that Bud was the odd man out & another week rest for Bud would have been the correct way to go.

A few of us said that for things to function up forward, we needed Bud to play high up the ground & he isn't fit enough to do that anymore obviously because he didn't do it.

You watch! McLean out next week.
If there was ever any question as to the value of Reid in our team, we found out last night.
A fit Reid can chop out in the ruck but still be mobile enough to get around the ground, more so than Sinclair & McLean.

Interesting week for selection. Rampe, Kennedy, Parker, Warner, Lloyd, Cunningham, Hickey & even Sinclair when the ball hit the deck, were immense in the second half & I walked away thinking we are definitely a contender if Melbourne are seriously the best team in it. I doubt they are as I think the Cats may now be but hey, we beat them so we are traveling ok. Fix a few things at selection by making the hard calls on each & every player!

Lost it at selection.
In the wet, we leave either Bud, Sinkers or McLean out.
Bud can't ruck or clunk an overhead mark. McLean can't ruck Sinkers can at least provide relief in ruck but can't hold an overhead mark.

We got 1 goal from our three tall forwards.
Melbourne got 4 straight from McDonald & 3 straight from Brown Potato.

That's it in a nutshell.
Anyone who still thinks Buddy is a positive for us up forward with 80% of the ball going to him in the first half needs to have another think.

We win that without Bud tonight. He is a shadow of himself & it's sad to watch.
Not Bud's fault if our players don't kick to best option. Umpires ignore what defenders do to Buddy. At least he works hard. Paps plays for Paps, burns his teammates. McLean and Sinkers are joined at the hip, just get in the way. Our inside 50s were awful. We need to lower eyes but we kicked up and unders all night. Of course Bud's a positive to any team but not the way we were setup. I agree we lost it at selection though.

too many galoots in the forward half for a wet day. I understand you cant drop Maclean after what he did last week, but you cant bring Buddy in underdone and keep both Sinclair and Maclean in the forwards. Played into Melbourne's hands.
But a great effort nonetheless - nearly snatched it. If two kicks that were points go through for goals we win by a point.
Tom Mcdonald had a blinder for them - his goals were all crackers that came from great individual efforts. He was the difference for mine. Oliver was brilliant too but we matched them in the middle after half time.
Tom Hickey - where has this form been your whole career? Possibly our most important player right now. He has been huge.
Dane Rampe - welcome back, stud.
Callum Mills - a superb game. Found another gear in the 4th quarter and nearly got us over the line.
Harry Cunningham did a great job trying to quell Pickett. What a handful he is. The Dees have finally come together down back and up forward.

too many galoots in the forward half for a wet day. I understand you cant drop Maclean after what he did last week, but you cant bring Buddy in underdone and keep both Sinclair and Maclean in the forwards. Played into Melbourne's hands.
But a great effort nonetheless - nearly snatched it. If two kicks that were points go through for goals we win by a point.
Tom Mcdonald had a blinder for them - his goals were all crackers that came from great individual efforts. He was the difference for mine. Oliver was brilliant too but we matched them in the middle after half time.
Tom Hickey - where has this form been your whole career? Possibly our most important player right now. He has been huge.
Dane Rampe - welcome back, stud.
Callum Mills - a superb game. Found another gear in the 4th quarter and nearly got us over the line.
Harry Cunningham did a great job trying to quell Pickett. What a handful he is. The Dees have finally come together down back and up forward.
Pickett is scared , simple we were too hard for him . MacLean stays in and out Sinclair

Pickett is scared , simple we were too hard for him . MacLean stays in and out Sinclair
Wont happen cause they won't ruck McLean

Sinclair or Reid + 2 of Buddy, McLean and McDonald + Hickey

Those are our tall combinations going forward

This game left a lot of unanswered questions :

WTF is wrong with Rowbum ? He's lost all touch. He had the first tackle airy I've ever seen. He literally missed a stationary target. Does he need 2s time ?
Which forwards coach thought having 3 boringly static talls camped in the goal square was a good idea on a wet night ?
Was McCartin's mind somewhere else ? He just wasn't in the game, asleep or distracted, leaving too much for Rampe.
When did Cunningham become such a sh*t kick ? His game is fine until he tries to kick (ditto for a few other players)
Why do short players milk for frees ? Papley now Gulden. Just play to the whistle. Focus on the play.
Why were we kicking high balls to the top of the goal square ?
Why doesn't Horse kick up a stink about the umpiring, especially the treatment of Buddy ?
Is Hickey the only difference between Swans 2020 & 2021 ?
Is it time some other players had a run ? Good to see Foxy but where is Ling ? Where is Ronke etc ?
Does Richo ever just shut the F up ? No-one liked him as a player. Why do we have to put up with him tossing off during commentary ?
Why do I hate Melbourne teams so much ? Is it the filthy AFL who pretend it's a national game ? It's a Melbourne game run by Melbourne clubs. The rest is BS.

So much quality in one post.

My personal favourite is 'why do short players milk frees?', closely followed by 'Where is Ronke?'

Our second quarter was bad, but overall pleased with the effort... means nothing if we don't go on to beat Collingwood though...

WTF is wrong with Rowbum ? He's lost all touch. He had the first tackle airy I've ever seen. He literally missed a stationary target. Does he need 2s time ?.

Was that before or after he laid 12 tackles? (Most on ground)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the first honest appraisal. There are so many sycophants on here, or worse, the "everyone gets a prize" or "medal for effort" types. We played crap. There's no such thing as good crap, it's just crap. There is only one aim in footy, one measure of success, to win. Nothing else, that's the only goal. In that we failed. There's no prize for 2nd. I start to chunk up when I hear praise for Melbourne players on the Swans board. No, we don't affectionately call them "The Dees" , we call them Melbourne, a bunch of whiney little pricks we should have thrashed and whom we'll skin alive next time we get the chance. We will never serve up this abysmal rubbish again. We were rubbish. We lost a game we had no right to lose.
A bit of context.
I expected us to be a bottom 4 side this year so an imperfect but encouraging game against the undefeated leader of the comp is a positive for me.

Not sure that makes me a sycophant :think:

Would it be right to say that the Swans rebuild has been a stressful experience for you?

All this and a biscuit

Am sorry but bungee and bunkum bloods miss the point. They are dunked bikkies.

I have watched more wins and losses than these fly by nighters.

I can hardly be accused as a Horse defender but he acknowledged the effort. This is a developing team you keyboard scamparamas. If we get near finals we are doing well.

Melbourne played fairly well and won
Sydney played fairly well and lost

Pickett is scared
This! Very much this. He was last night but no doubt he will improve in that area.
Long time since I've seen us tackle that hard. It's good to see we still have that in our arsenal when to pretty outside quick ball moving stuff isn't working for us on any given day. As a supporter I got more knowledge about our current squad & team out of last night's game than I did out of the win against the Tigers. We showed different facets of our game last night & geez we have a beauty in Warner.
He is way ahead of Heeney & Mills in his first 10 games. He just needs to maintain it the way those two boys have & we will have one hell of a team to support & get excited about in the next 5 or so years.

Off night, mate?

If you seen it live you would of seen the work Dawson did of the ball

Totally wrong
I think Dawson's best game. He is fast becoming another Rampe. He can play tall or small but can then attack with a beautiful left foot. We won't let him go anywhere. Young Tom McCartin now needs to intercept more. A few of those marks from McDonald were easy to spoil but instead of punching, a few of our guys tried to mark it. Wrong call. We made some errors that we can fix & we again only lost by a few kicks with plenty opportunities in that last 5 minutes that went either OOF or OOB. A poster. A score review that Ramps almost touched, a few from McDonald that he pulled out of his a.se & the early one from Bud that may have hit the post. We dominated the clearances which was awesome.

just watching Franklin kick for goal and end up short, I knew he probably needed an extra week off and that he was underdone. At least he kept May busy all night.

Franklin didn’t need another week off, he needs to play.

Just the same as the start of the season, he needs game time to get his touch and match fitness up.

As per the start of the season, the more he plays the better he will get.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Amazing game by Mills.

If he can improve his disposal a bit, there is no reason he cannot be one of the truly elite layers in the AFL.
Many of the elite ball winning midfielders often have lower efficiency with their ball use because of the immense pressure placed on them in that area & they need quick ball release.
Down back most of the possessions are just chip here & chip there from uncontested marks. Which leads me to Lloyd. Last night his ability to absorb pressure was back to his best. Going to games you do see things very differently. You sort of have to watch the replay 2 or 3 times to catch things but it's still never the same as watching live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back