Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Dees - AFL Round 8

I think Dawson's best game. He is fast becoming another Rampe. He can play tall or small but can then attack with a beautiful left foot. We won't let him go anywhere. Young Tom McCartin now needs to intercept more. A few of those marks from McDonald were easy to spoil but instead of punching, a few of our guys tried to mark it. Wrong call. We made some errors that we can fix & we again only lost by a few kicks with plenty opportunities in that last 5 minutes that went either OOF or OOB. A poster. A score review that Ramps almost touched, a few from McDonald that he pulled out of his a.se & the early one from Bud that may have hit the post. We dominated the clearances which was awesome.
We need another kd to help MCCARTIN ASAP

I think it was Fox and COR who took turns on Fritsch. Both did a great job of nullifying his influence 0 goals, 2 marks and 0 inside 50 vs season average coming into the game of 2.5 goals, 5 marks and 2 i50.

Spot on.

Swan4Life

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
I wonder if Hewett in a run with role might have been a good option.

The more I think about it the more I believe that Hewett in a full time role to nullify the opposition's best mid would fit our team perfectly in terms of overall balance - plus he has proven that he can win his fair share of the ball. I believe that Hewett on Oliver = a different outcome last night.

Get it done Horse!

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I think it was Fox and COR who took turns on Fritsch. Both did a great job of nullifying his influence 0 goals, 2 marks and 0 inside 50 vs season average coming into the game of 2.5 goals, 5 marks and 2 i50.
And some muppet wanted him dropped next week !

too many galoots in the forward half for a wet day. I understand you cant drop Maclean after what he did last week, but you cant bring Buddy in underdone and keep both Sinclair and Maclean in the forwards. Played into Melbourne's hands.
But a great effort nonetheless - nearly snatched it. If two kicks that were points go through for goals we win by a point.
Tom Mcdonald had a blinder for them - his goals were all crackers that came from great individual efforts. He was the difference for mine. Oliver was brilliant too but we matched them in the middle after half time.
Tom Hickey - where has this form been your whole career? Possibly our most important player right now. He has been huge.
Dane Rampe - welcome back, stud.
Callum Mills - a superb game. Found another gear in the 4th quarter and nearly got us over the line.
Harry Cunningham did a great job trying to quell Pickett. What a handful he is. The Dees have finally come together down back and up forward.
McDonalds 2 goals, one from a questionable mark and one from a recalled free which 9 times up of 10 does not get recalled after Kosi tookthe odds to playing on and missed, were critical.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Yep I find that curious.

Decent height, decent tank, doesn't seem to mind the physical stuff.
Did a bit of rucking for us in 2019.
Not expecting Polly Farmer, but I would have thought he could pinch hit in the ruck.
I said the exact same thing. Sinclair was beat anytime he rucked anyway so why not just play McLean in there. Then McDonald can come back in. Or Heeney. Whoever. But McLean needs to stay cuz of those hands.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
McDonalds 2 goals, one from a questionable mark and one from a recalled free which 9 times up of 10 does not get recalled after Kosi tookthe odds to playing on and missed, were critical.
It was a mark , we would have expected that , but the recalled one was crap

Was only able to catch snippets of the game, but seems like we gave it a red hot crack.

Loving how we're going about it this season so far. Unless we utensil it up from here, whether or not we make finals, this is looking like a great season for our development.

Mills is a gun.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
We were always at a huge disadvantage with our assistant coaches sitting in Sydney watching via the monitor. They could not see the whole ground so decisions were made on the broadcast vision and observers in the box telling them the layout. This would have been excruciatingly frustrating for them. Plus it doesn't make for good decision making.

We were pretty good but could not get our forward line to function. I am of the opinion we have to go forward minus Lance. He was really poor today. OK, he plays on an All Australian Full Back but the reality is great players find a way and he couldn't. The delivery wasn't that good either. But we were far too tall conscious and missed many other options. Several times we bipassed free players to bang the ball long, usually directly to Dees defenders or a big pack.

We played low percentage footy coming into the forward line and we can blame that for losing. Add to that a superb Dees defence who must have thought it was easy with such dreadful delivery. Their big forwards murdered us. We kept the mid size and small forwards quiet but their big guys were super. McCartin and Rampe were thrashed. They had no answer to either of the talls. Jake Lloyd and Jordan Dawson tried to give them a cut out but all too often either McDonald or Brown were able to either get free or take the big grab.

Even though Gawn and Jackson dominated the rucks Hickey still managed to hold his own and got Plant around the ground. We won the clearances. We won the tackles. But we lost the outside battle. Melbourne's mids are not known for their outside prowess but they killed us there yesterday. Most of their numbers came frmrun and carry and running on to get a second collect. Whether our mids could not keep up or they were just too loose I don't know. Poor Justin McInerney found himself chasing multiple players again and again. Our pressure was generally good until they got an overlap caused by one player being inattentive or staying out of the contest on the offensive side and being caught out.

We did not make the most of our opportunities and in a close match that is generally the difference. Our effort was commendable under very difficult circumstances. I think next time the result will be different.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair play to dees... they are set up well and didn’t allow for any easy passages out. They were the better team, but somehow felt like we should have finished off the 4th better.

Clayton Oliver is frustratingly good at getting quick hands at the stoppage and they are out.

Crazy to think we were going to let Robbie fox go last year...

Loved Warner, rampe, Parker and mills
That was not the case. Fox was rookied for salary cap considerations. Most teams hav done this with certain players.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I've loved Sinkers and what he brought to us over the years, but enough, offers zero up forward. You want a forward play a forward not a ruck that is sort of half tall and might mark 1 in 25.

In terms of the game, career defining game for Mills. If I hear the words "move him back to defence" again I'll go nuts. Blake is a bonafide star and he should be in the midfield full time. Work the midfield around him.
Blake? Blakey? I am not sure Blakey is consistent enough to build anything around. He also has some temperament issues

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
We were always at a huge disadvantage with our assistant coaches sitting in Sydney watching via the monitor. They could not see the whole ground so decisions were made on the broadcast vision and observers in the box telling them the layout. This would have been excruciatingly frustrating for them. Plus it doesn't make for good decision making.
erm nathan fillion.gif

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat

Nope. They flew down Friday night.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I meant McCartin was ball watching in the first half. He got caught out numerous times.
Might have been our midfield getting smashed and Parker turned that around in the 2nd half , remember we are small down forward compared to McDonald , Brown , Jackson and Max going forward at times.

Back