Autopsy Swans vs Dogs Rnd 1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Our biggest problem in the centre is that any tap we do win goes directly down. Parker or JPK go in at the coal face and are held & pin balled by the opposition. Where is the help to block and make space for them. The younger brigade are not doing the 1% ers around the ground and until they learn to add this to their game we will be behind the top contensers

It appears my post has hit a nerve with some, and a new thread has been created to divert controversy. So it is my duty to post my drivel once again in this autopsy thread to seek infamy and multitudes of likes and quotes. For I, am a dickhead... (/endjokes)

I would like to say that that was a good game and that we played well, going by the score board. But....

GOAL LESS QUARTERS!? **** ME!!!!! That is SO unacceptable

BTW, how do you spell goal less? Someone at the swans should be able to tell me because we seem to do it ALL THE ******* TIME! It's like it must be a a Mantra for our team.

The good...
- Jones was great in that last half, as was Allir (hmm that spelling doesn't look right). ****, I'm going to have to call him A2
- Hayward kept me in the goal kicking comp
- McVeigh keeps on ticking away and still has value to this team
- It wasn't a bad loss. Just one REALLY s**t quarter
- Aside from "the quarter that shall never be repeated", ie Q2, we only lost because of a few 50/50's in that last quarter that didn't go our way (there was about 3). But there's a reason why we lost those 50/50's and that is just... FOOTBALL (ie decision making. e.g. Clark, Mills, and whoever handballed that ball to Jones under pressure)
- Great to see Reid having a good game, where he belongs permanently in the forward line. Welcome back.
- Our structures looked OK, and I kinda get Grundy being pushed up the ground to create a few plays. I thought he was solid down back too.
- I can't remember the first half
- Nothing wrong with the game plan

The Bad...
- Sinkers needs to learn to tap better when in advantage. There were many times tonight where he had the advantage due to an off centre bounce and did not capitalise on his taps. This is pretty basic stuff. Stop laying it at your feet.
- We went to Buddy a few times when there were better options streaming forward. But why wouldn't you?
- Below the legs rule was not applied correctly and needs looking at
- Aliens, please return my JPK :(
- Too little too late from some of our senior brigade
- Kick ins need work
- I can't remember the first half

Summary...
A good effort on the road, let down by one quarter. Which I guess is really unacceptable.
In the words of MKR... Sydney Swans, I score you (pause for dramatic effect), a 6 out of 10
Sinclair had the most hit outs to advantage (13) for the whole round.

They still have to earn a spot.

At least we could pick him safe in the knowledge he couldn't play worse. We've all had days like that I suppose. I like him as a JPK/Parker replacement but not in the same side tbh. Yeah he's more of a forward, but can go in there too.
But I think he'll make way for KJ even if KJ is only up to a 70% tog effort. We just need a bit more variety in the mids - KJ has the ability to add that. Hope we see a vintage game from him - we might need it to beat the Crows.

Sinclair had the most hit outs to advantage (13) for the whole round.
Did he really? What a champ the guy is. Held us together at times over the last few years with his effort and putting himself about. Really respect that guy as someone who gives his absolute all for the team.
Looking forward to seeing which players show themselves to be the most cowardly this year when they see him lining them up, Daniel Rich probably wants someone to take the mantle off him. :D

What I don’t get is, in the trade period we had Clarke coming in and being a support act for guys like Heeney in the midfield, yet Heeney barely played in the midfield last night.

We had Thurlow coming in to free up Mills to the midfield, yet Thurlow didn’t play and Mills stayed in defence.

Did Horse get stage at fright at the first hurdle? Seems like he directly went against two things he seemed certain would improve us.
What an opportunity to make a statement Round 1, Mills up the Ground Thurlow down Back, But good old Horse thought 3 big talls up forward, slow Back line, flatfooted midfield on a fast Deck would do the Job ( was surprised not to see Thurlow in that side )

What a load of bloody whinging after one game into the season. We scored more than Carlton, Melbourne, Adelaide, Eagles, Bombers and the same as Collingwood and people are saying our style is hopeless, we can't score etc and yet that list includes the grand finalists from last year and the top scorers.
Did those teams score one goal in an entire half of footy? I think most Swans fans are relieved we found our groove eventually, but the really concerning thing is that it took an entire half.

Watching the game I saw our biggest issues in attack were poor shooting for goal (Heeney/Reid/Franklin) and poor decisioning in entering 50. Multiple times players were leading for quick kicks which were ignored (now is the leading against our playing style or the ignoring it?) and players were unmarked inside 50 and ignored. There were was also poor decision making and poor execution such as players dropping simple marks, missing easy handballs and kicking to the opposition.
But the point is, these problems have been glaringly present for several years now.

I was able to go to this game which is a rare event so I just thought I would record my thoughts. First, the Marvel Stadium experience was rubbish. Speakers were blaring unintelligable hype and advertising at such high volumes it was impossible to carry on a conversation right up to the start of the game and during the breaks. Seems to be aimed at young kids , but if I had young kids I would not take them to this garbage. Won't be going again if they keep on doing this.
As for the game I though we looked rusty from the start and overall we had the wrong team selection for the dome. Our extended midfeld was smashed and unable to keep up with the dogs numbers running in waves and reading the play better than our guys as well. One more midfield type like Fox/Rowbottom for Dawson might have swung the balance. Dawson is the one who did not look up to the one on ones, lost his balance easily and was a weak link.He is not a good enough runner for the midfield at seniors level. Definitley not the Messiah.

Backline, yes, is too slow , Thurlow for Melican would have been better. Also, if it hadn't been for Aliir, we would have been thrashed. Many really good saves and attacking moves out of defence.

Umpires were pretty poor. The Jones decision , what a joke, I was sitting 200m from the ball and could clearly see Jones had his hands on it from the beginning.

Most of what I could say has already been said, but I think the coaching panel better smarten up and get some extra genuione mids into the side that can match other sides. We are too slow, mentally as well as physically.

I would also add that a lot of our players are not physically capable of winning one on one in a physical tussle as others have pointed out.

8. Swans game-style
Almost stole the unwinnable game from the Dogs, but kicking eight goals in two quarters and only one goal in the first half will not get it done. Agreed, it’s a bugger to play against the high possession Bulldogs, but the Swans weren’t threatening until after halftime when they had the ball. The Swans had the worst inside-50 differential of any finalist since 2001 last year and on Saturday night lost the inside 50 count by 21. It’s going to be sluggish season if they continue to lose the territory game like that.

https://outline.com/RbXwfq

8. Swans game-style
Almost stole the unwinnable game from the Dogs, but kicking eight goals in two quarters and only one goal in the first half will not get it done. Agreed, it’s a bugger to play against the high possession Bulldogs, but the Swans weren’t threatening until after halftime when they had the ball. The Swans had the worst inside-50 differential of any finalist since 2001 last year and on Saturday night lost the inside 50 count by 21. It’s going to be sluggish season if they continue to lose the territory game like that.

https://outline.com/RbXwfq

Finally the media pointing out something important. Hard to believe it was Mark Robinson that did it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Swans got easily done in the clearances during the first half. Sinclair has got to improve his hitout positioning (e.g behind, side, smashing it forwards) instead of to his feet when dominating in the ruck.
The hitout advantage was not translating as Bulldogs mids would often wait at Sinclair's feet where they knew the tap would land. So often Swans players handballed to Bulldogs opponents in the clinches which only enabled more inside 50's against.

Parker had the fumbles for most of the game, however should be cleaner in disposal in future. The hail Mary air swings have got to go however, Luke pick the damn ball up!

McVeigh for all his critics turned back the clock and had a really fantastic game setting up numerous attacking forays for Swans. Not a liability whatsoever in this game!

I would really like to see Swans tap the ball out to team mates advantage more often like Tigers, Hawks and Pies do. It can be the difference between getting held up in the clinches and getting the ball free in space.

The takeaway for me was the ease of scoring opportunities when the centre clearances were in Swans favour in the 2nd half. A reasonable margin was cut to a single kick in 1/2 quarter which is very promising for season 2019.

Restock, reload and bring on the Crows next week!

Did those teams score one goal in an entire half of footy? I think most Swans fans are relieved we found our groove eventually, but the really concerning thing is that it took an entire half.

But the point is, these problems have been glaringly present for several years now.
If Reid and heeney etc hadn't missed absolute sitters we also would haven't scored only 1 goal.

My point is it's the players who are as much to blame as the coaches

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It's a pretty simple equation. We need to move the ball faster so we can give our forwards more chances to kick goals. See? I could be an AFL coach.

To continue on from last year we got smashed on inside 50 differential again. Played too much in the back half and our transition was slow. But when we got going there was run and carry, players were spreading well to create options and we were able to give our forwards one on one opportunities. Now you can only do as much as your opposition lets you but we have to be willing to take the game on. We might turn the ball over a bit but I don't want to die wondering.

I would very much like to see Mills and Heeney as permanent onballers. Certainly Heeney looked on but the ball wasn't getting to him. The Dogs just had quick and clean hands around the clearances and we've looked very slow and disorganised in that area for awhile now. Sinclair did his job and had the most hitouts to advantage for the round but I think our setup or hand skills around clearances are lacking which is a worry for a team game built on clearances.

Early days and plenty of opportunity to adjust but adjust we must.

P.S. I rate Melican and he was as solid as you would like when he first broke into the team. Seemed very rusty and lacking a yard or two in pace but I think he can come good with some extra game time. I still see him as the straight replacement for Reg.

I have said it so many times but Mills and Heeney need to be full time midfielders. Our midfeild situation is in crisis and even though their absense may weaken the forward line a bit as well as defence that is well worth it if they are able to improve the midfield.

Other than maybe Gold Coast the Swans have the worst ability to win the ball in the midfield in the entire league.

I haven't read the rest of the autopsy yet, but I suspect Mills was in defence because he hasn't played a proper game for over a year. Maybe he was placed in the back line, a position more familiar to him while he gets used to senior footy again, before moving into the mids on a more permanent basis.

I agree they both have to be playing in the mids.

Lots of over-reactions in this thread, which is to be expected. Here's a few more:

1. Dawson - devoid of confidence and lacks mongrel. Has the physical gifts, but not the heart.
2. Parker - towelled up by Macrae for 3/4s, then puts his team on his back in the last. Why did you wait so long, Luke?
3. Lloyd - cops a lot of unfair criticism on here. Runs his guts out to give his teammates an easy out in defence and rarely turns it over.
4. Clarke - what the **** were they thinking? Cost us the game with that turnover that led to Bont's goal.

we deserved to lose n all, but I cant help wondering how the game would've gone had Buddy been allowed to take his set shot. That was ****ed up.

All I was thinking for the whole game was how filthy I was that the coaches weren't putting Heenz or Millsy on the ball. We were CLEARLY losing the midfield battle. It was the most obvious thing we could have changed to stop their run... Yet we did nothing. We persisted with what we had... Right up until the point we "couldn't" any longer.

And that is what I am most disappointed with. The inability or stubbornness in not changing things up until crisis point.

To giv ethe coaches the benefit of the doubt... I'm sure they are probably thinking something like:

"if the players just did what we trained for then this structure shouldn't just work but will win us the game! So do we take the risk to persist and for it to come good or do we just try plug the holes? ... Let's not panic, let's stick with what we had planned for for now... until we don't have a choice."

BUT

When it is so blatantly obvious there is something wrong why can't we adjust? Make a change? Even only temporarily? Just to stop a run... We have such flexibility in where most of our players can play, it is a huge asset of ours... USE IT!

I'm a tad more optimistic about the game. We were horrid in the first half but got better.
We had in effect six debutants, or close to debutants:
Blakey;
Clarke;
Mills (first game since 2017);
Reid (First since round 3 last year);
Melican (First since round 3 last year);
Dawson (5 game career, but he did play rounds 19, 20, 21 and 23 in 2018)

Also playing A2 and Reg in the ruck and it is little wonder we had no cohesion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back