Autopsy Swans vs Dogs Rnd 1 2019

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope that moron Horse has learnt that playing attacking and aggressive football is what needs to be done.

One goal in the first half showed that our old game plan is not how to play footy in 2019.

Heeney the highlight tonight.

Some late chances hurt us in the last. Buddy the first ever player to be called to play on taking a set shot. Zak Jones missed one.

Just needed our noses in front but spent the petrol tickets getting within 4 points.

If Horse doesn't get it now then he should just P1$$ OFF

I'm happy to do Autopsy threads again

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
That Jordan Dawson sucks.
Lolongmire has to go, he’s just plain garbage now.
His last 10 coaching performances have been woeful.
The board need to wake up before players want out.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Is there a different Jordan Dawson that this board has been demanding be selected for the past 12 months?

Leave Dawson in the team as he has scope for improvement and is an elite kick, something we generally suck at.

Generally speaking today it showed that Longmire's normal game plan is awful, but when the Swans are FORCED to play attacking football we look like a better team. Problem is that next week Longmire will be back to the game plan he used for the first 3 quarters.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
lol if you expect to win a football game kicking 1 goal in a half.

That second half was just papering over the cracks.
Same old s**t from last year
Nothing more true will be written in this thread than your post. Agree 100%. We've seen this movie before and it isn't going to be any better viewing second time around.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Leave Dawson in the team as he has scope for improvement and is an elite kick, something we generally suck at.

Generally speaking today it showed that Longmire's normal game plan is awful, but when the Swans are FORCED to play attacking football we look like a better team. Problem is that next week Longmire will be back to the game plan he used for the first 3 quarters.

So hold up a sec.

The Swans played attacking footy in the first 10 minutes of the game but didn’t put it on the scoreboard. Dogs then got some momentum and we couldn’t get it back and went back to playing a defensive mindset.

So is the gameplan attacking footy given that the game started in that fashion?

Or do the players defy the coach at the start of the game and decide to play defensively 10 minutes in?

I am not defending how we played for the majority of the game, but I am also not actually convinced that is how they want the players to play given how we started the game...

May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMU Mustangs, Matildas
The midfield is the biggest concern but there is still a little upside.

Blakey did okay.
Allir got better as the game went on.
Heeney won mark of the year.
Reid didn't get injured.
Cunners was dependable.

Lots of improvement left in lots of players ... maybe it's not a premiership year but let's give 'em a few rounds. We're renown slow starters.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
So hold up a sec.

The Swans played attacking footy in the first 10 minutes of the game but didn’t put it on the scoreboard. Dogs then got some momentum and we couldn’t get it back and went back to playing a defensive mindset.

Or do the players defy the coach at the start of the game and decide to play defensively 10 minutes in?

I am not defending how we played for the majority of the game, but I am also not actually convinced that is how they want the players to play given how we started the game...
Hysteria is

Gongswan

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2012
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lowndes, Ricciardo
I don't know, if Bud kicks that goal and we get in front, do we win the game???? We'll never know, but 3/4 for them to build a lead, 15 minutes for us to wind it in, we'll be ok once some of teh underdone players get match fitness and the new guys get in sync. Mills needs to stay at half back I think, Melican looked off

Disco Brad

Debutant
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Ryan Clarke had an absolute mare. Hope he gets better quickly if they are going to pick him.
We deserved to lose, but it was good to see some fight in the second half.
Aliir is great to watch when he knows what position he's playing. McVeigh is a genuine legend of the club and still best 22, no question.
Sam Reid will be better for the run.
Florent mustn't have been properly fit - hardly spotted.
Reg Grundy kept trying and was amazing to see him rucking.
Callum Sinclair is the sort of player you want for your club, Keeps trying all day. Would be ideal as 2nd / 3rd forward if we ever get our 1st choice ruckmen back.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
So hold up a sec.

It’s the same issue as last year in that we can’t put a decent score on the board.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Our first half was poor, but there were two decisions which made no sense given our opponent and may well have cost us the game.

I couldn't figure out why Aliir didn't spend more time in defence, given the Dogs fielded a taller forward line tonight than they have against us in the past with both Schache and Naughton who were too quick for Grundy and Melican. Also, given the Dogs' strength is their midfield, why didn't Heeney start there?

Swannnnn

Senior List
Oct 24, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought we were more attacking tonight which was what we were screaming for.

It's just that our players were s**t house for the first three quarters, plenty of beaten one on one (I was tearing my hair out when Lloyd lost those one on ones), we couldn't buy a centre clearance.

Our Midfielders really need to start taking ownership with the 6-6-6 rule. Horse needs to start mills and/or Heeney there. We were absolutely smacked in clearances for three quarters

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So hold up a sec.

Perhaps you are right, but I think it is also reasonable to assume that at the first sign of problems Longmire went ulta defensive instead of backing the players.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Every other coach asks each player to beat their man.

Longmire wants 4 forwards or defenders to fly every time. 4 players must try to win the same ground ball. Players must be within 2m of each other around the ball and then hand ball and transfer pressure around until we drop it. Never ever try to kick in the front of our players. Kick the ball on their head.
Try to stay still around stoppages as it makes it easier for the 2m hand pass.

We are the antithesis of modern footy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back