Autopsy Swans Vs Don's Rnd 16

Remove this Banner Ad

I like aliir rucking, but with no buddy think reid needs to stay forward ideally

thought we lost the forward structure a lot too yesterday

I’d consider playing Menzel in the meantime though. Could help keep that structure

To repeat what everyone else has said, an extremely frustrating game. A lot of that is that the Bombers were mostly deplorable and we couldn’t take advantage of that and get the win.

The umpiring was a joke in that last quarter especially and it’s maddening to see the Bombers being gifted a path to the finals because they don’t deserve to be there. We were robbed but probably not half as bad as GWS last week - I reckon that was the most blatant display of a game being handed to a team I’ve ever seen but no one cared really because it’s GWS. The media just focuses on the “great comeback” by Essendon.

It’s not just that there are a few bad decisions, it’s when and where they are. Against GWS the Bombers must have had 4 or 5 free kicks paid right in front of goal that resulted in goals. In a couple of cases they were clear momentum changes. There was also a clear GWS mark not paid on the wing at a crucial time and a HTB against Heppell in front of his own goal not paid in the dying minutes. I would’ve been ropeable as a Giants fan.

It was similar yesterday - that Aliir free in front of goal in particular gifted them a goal and shifted momentum. So frustrating.

I watched the last quarter again and the fix is even more obvious then as it was unfolding live. After Maccartin kicks the goal in the first minute the ‘play’ unfolds like this:
- centre free against Allir when he was about to pump ball into our forward line again, I still can’t work out what it was for - it ensures the ball goes up their end;
- free against Allir in ruck when he was being held back that gifted them a goal;
- Dawson elbowed in back of head and no 50;
- Blakey called for holding the ball in front of goal when he had no prior and head rammed into ground

This all happened in only four minutes playing time and it is how you manipulate a result. And yes, blatant as it is - the GWS fix a week earlier was even more telegraphed

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Goal kicking has been pathetic for the best part of 2-3 seasons. I don’t get it and sound like a broken record- but exactly what do they do during the week? Practice, practice and practice. Bad kicking costs games.

sports science people probably limit them to low numbers of kicks per week

training probably has to be light during the year

I watched the last quarter again and the fix is even more obvious then as it was unfolding live. After Maccartin kicks the goal in the first minute the ‘play’ unfolds like this:
- centre free against Allir when he was about to pump ball into our forward line again, I still can’t work out what it was for - it ensures the ball goes up their end;
- free against Allir in ruck when he was being held back that gifted them a goal;
- Dawson elbowed in back of head and no 50;
- Blakey called for holding the ball in front of goal when he had no prior and head rammed into ground

This all happened in only four minutes playing time and it is how you manipulate a result. And yes, blatant as it is - the GWS fix a week earlier was even more telegraphed

players must feel it, and think we cant win

Re goal kicking, both Reid and McCartin have clearly worked on rectifying their technical deficiencies. Reid is now reliable and Tommy is approaching that level. It can be done.

I noticed this too. Papley was frustrated and having a go at a few teammates (Zak Jones too). The whole forward line was just not functioning well at all.

It's hard for Papley because he's essentially the leader down there and he's only 22 himself, but he could learn a thing or two from how Rampe conducts himself with his younger teammates. Constantly encouraging, directing, supporting his fellow defenders. Never seen someone more intent on uplifting his teammates.

He could kick his set shots straight - that might help

Re goal kicking, both Reid and McCartin have clearly worked on rectifying their technical deficiencies. Reid is now reliable and Tommy is approaching that level. It can be done.

Hayward is the worst this year seems to have the yips

Hayward is the worst this year seems to have the yips

As I posted earlier, he had a look of dread as he took the kick. Poor bugger has lost all confidence in his kicking. For him it is not a technical issue but a mental one. He'll get over it, hopefully sooner rather than later.

players must feel it, and think we cant win

The giants and swans final quarters both had that inevitability feeling to it ...which had nothing to do with superior opposition. Poor AA suddenly getting pinged every contest - could probably hear the whistle coming before he started moving.

As I posted earlier, he had a look of dread as he took the kick. Poor bugger has lost all confidence in his kicking. For him it is not a technical issue but a mental one. He'll get over it, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Wouldn’t completely be against him having a few weeks in the NEAFL more to give him a mental break than anything

Wouldn’t completely be against him having a few weeks in the NEAFL more to give him a mental break than anything

Diisagree. He is still winning the ball and contesting very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Diisagree. He is still winning the ball and contesting very well.

I’d replace him with Menzel we won’t lose too much and he wouldn’t miss from 5m.

For mine he’s playing tired he needs a break. That “break” might be playing in the NEAFL or not

I’d replace him with Menzel we won’t lose too much and he wouldn’t miss from 5m.

For mine he’s playing tired he needs a break. That “break” might be playing in the NEAFL or not

can have a break in september

Yes Menzel would not miss, but would he get the ball in the first place. He was underwhelming in the twos and the poor bloke's so crocked he has the agility of Clive Palmer.

Yes Menzel would not miss, but would he get the ball in the first place. He was underwhelming in the twos and the poor bloke's so crocked he has the agility of Clive Palmer.

I’d be happy to take the chance that Menzel would be fine. He’s just one option

He's playing like he needs one now. He’s only young

its when you hit mid 30s you need a break and your body aches

when i was his age i could get on the piss and run 5k early the next day, he is a fit professional athlete

its when you hit mid 30s you need a break and your body aches

when i was his age i could get on the piss and run 5k early the next day, he is a fit professional athlete

Well he’s not playing well and form has to be rewarded and for that matter not rewarded when a player has been poor

Not really discussed, but I thought Cunningham's game was impressive after a long break. I would have given him a week in the 2s to show he was ready but the MC went ahead and slotted him straight in. Clearly I was wrong.

I thought he provided a bit of leadership in the backline. Harry, after a bright start to his career, has been yo-yoed more than most. Last year and this year he seems to have benefitted from continuity (until this last injury) and does not look like he is afraid of being dropped if he makes a blue. He is no world beater but with confidence has become an assured and reliable contributor.

It's possible (in fact incredibly likely) that our poor execution both in front of goals and around the ground came down to the most obvious reasons of them all.

Our first match of the year at the MCG, in front of the biggest crowd we played in front of this year by nearly 20,000, in a must-win game for our finals appearances. For a young team, you don't get many bigger games than that. It was basically a rebuilding side's equivalent of a do-or-die final. Most of our youngsters didn't rise to the occasion and crumbled under the pressure. Plain and simple. There's no easy way around it, but there's also no shame in it. There's a reason sides averaging 77 games experience usually aren't in finals, and if they are, they don't get very far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back