Autopsy Swans Vs Don's Rnd 16

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Essendon spent 3 quarters playing some of the worst footy you will see and instead of beating them we matched them.

Cant win any big games without Buddy.

Blame umps all you want, team was s**thouse.

I blame a host of things, including missed tackles and poor kicking. But we defeated Essendon comfortably across the board on matters of football. The only area we clearly lost was in the free kick differential. 2 of those will attract scrutiny from the MRO. Both were instances where the umpire had a clear line of vision.

I expect in a fair world, McKernan would be rubbed out for weeks. But it is Christian and the MRO Opiate dreams of the MFL.

Time for a breakaway comp. Do deals with Charnel Nein and Optus/Kayo.

Twelve team comp. Two from NSW, QLD, SA, three from Vic and one from Tas

Harsh on Dawson. With Aliir in the ruck, Dawson played back all evening and had to be accountable for a forward. He did what he did for the team.

I can’t fault his effort, but he, Hayward and Lloyd were the three biggest culprits of mucking up the un-muck-up-able. Not panicking because Dawson is young, but I did think he let himself down yesterday, as did Wilba and Florent, who was pretty clean but just looked unusually lost and disoriented. That was disappointing, but not concerning.

Concerning was the form showed by the experienced players, very few of who showed a steady head or provided any example. They did nothing to stop the sense of pressure and panic in the team that led to guys like Dawson, Florent and Hayward looking rather lost at sea. Our youngsters are all very promising, but sometimes they still need that experienced foundation around them to get the best out of them. It didn’t happen yesterday, a lesson will be learned by the young lads, and a rocket will be put up the arse of a few senior blokes. We move on.

I expect in a fair world, McKernan would be rubbed out for weeks. But it is Christian and the MRO Opiate dreams of the MFL.

Time for a breakaway comp. Do deals with Charnel Nein and Optus/Kayo.

Twelve team comp. Two from NSW, QLD, SA, three from Vic and one from Tas

He should be rubbed out for the earlier raised elbow on Dawson. Was at blatant as they come but it was a stop in play so the commentators totally missed it. Was nasty and Dawson wanted to react but couldn't.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
I can’t fault his effort, but he, Hayward and Lloyd were the three biggest culprits of mucking up the un-muck-up-able. Not panicking because Dawson is young, but I did think he let himself down yesterday, as did Wilba and Florent, who was pretty clean but just looked unusually lost and disoriented. That was disappointing, but not concerning.

Concerning was the form showed by the experienced players, very few of who showed a steady head or provided any example. They did nothing to stop the sense of pressure and panic in the team that led to guys like Dawson, Florent and Hayward looking rather lost at sea. Our youngsters are all very promising, but sometimes they still need that experienced foundation around them to get the best out of them. It didn’t happen yesterday, a lesson will be learned by the young lads, and a rocket will be put up the arse of a few senior blokes. We move on.
IMO you are way overeading it.
A shitty loss will do that...

IMO you are way overeading it.
A s**tty loss will do that...

Not really, Lloyd has been off the boil the last month, JPK has looked more vulnerable since returning (though he worked his arse off yesterday as always), and I’ve been criticising Parker all year. Yesterday’s result could have gone differently and I would still feel like nearly all of our senior players aren’t providing enough of an example of clean and composed footy, and that trickles down to the youngsters as well.

It's a weird one. Umpiring was definitely poor but at the same time, I feel like we should've won regardless. Some of our execution going forward was pretty ordinary and it didn't help that our entire forward line had off games.

Rampe though, what a star.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Not really, Lloyd has been off the boil the last month, JPK has looked more vulnerable since returning (though he worked his arse off yesterday as always), and I’ve been criticising Parker all year. Yesterday’s result could have gone differently and I would still feel like nearly all of our senior players aren’t providing enough of an example of clean and composed footy, and that trickles down to the youngsters as well.
Lloyd off the boil? Turn it up! Parker had a down day and was blatantly missed by Hayward (?) holidaying in the goal square on his own in the 3rd which definitely had a bearing in the game!

Lloyd off the boil? Turn it up! Parker had a down day and was blatantly missed by Hayward (?) holidaying in the goal square on his own in the 3rd which definitely had a bearing in the game!

I’m as big a Lloyd fan as you can get but he has looked out of sorts since the bye. Maybe he’s carrying something or maybe it’s just a bit of a slump, who knows, but he doesn’t look like the same calm and agile Lloyd that we’re used to seeing.

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm not as worried about the result of yesterdays game as I am about the standard of the game (and how common that standard is right across the league). I don't agree with BT on many things but he is 100% spot on with the sports science gone mad stuff he preaches. There are some players who are only having 10 set shots at goal a WEEK, that is a ******* joke (even defenders should be having at least 50). Even J. Reiwoldt said he personally was having around 50-60 (which isn't nearly enough from your KF's imo).
Even despite the absolute s**t standard of AFL these days, so many games are lost because players can't execute really, really simple moments. Some of our misses in front of goal yesterday (and all year) were deplorable, some of the kicks/handballs that misses targets under no pressure were shocking. I know this is a league wide problem not just ours, you could cut out alot of the running if you could execute your skills properly.
Athletes over footballers, and constant poorly thought out rule changes are killing the game. The new rules have been a disaster, especially all the ruck rule changes...some of the ruck free kicks!! fmd...infront of goal too! The Clarkson 'copy cat' chipping gamestyles all clubs are trying to play aren't helping either, at least our 2012 gamestyle had bursts of exciting play (I know it's outdated now), Hawthorn threepeat plus the WC flag have been really bad for the style game.

We've got a promising group, you can fault the skills but not the effort.... a good core to build from, a few good trades and we could bounce up the ladder pretty quick (crying out for a better standard of ruck options though). Can't lose both Jones and Cunningham, we still lack ball carriers with pace...and Florent will be the only one if they go.

He should be rubbed out for the earlier raised elbow on Dawson. Was at blatant as they come but it was a stop in play so the commentators totally missed it. Was nasty and Dawson wanted to react but couldn't.

Spot on BB. Dawson was clearly targetted. I was and still am furious at the lack of retribution. It was as telling as the failure to deal with the CarlCrims who targeted Mills in Round 6 2017.

Teeko

Senior List
Feb 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 49ers
That Essendon side had the age profile of a team that should be operating at its peak. Relative to them we've got a lot more upside for the future.

View attachment 704311

I was wrong about Sydney's youth. They are clearly on another level. After watching them against Carlton and Fremantle I am convinced. Hayward and Florent will be superstars.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is true about our age profile, but we have big upside due to injuries. Bellchambers and Draper injuries are huge because it meant we played Zac Clarke. Heppell is our captain and one of our best mids. Devon Smith won our b&f last year. Daniher is our best forward. Ambrose our best lock down defender.
Merrett also copped a heavy knock early and wasn't playing at his usual standard.

And when you bring injured players back like Buddy, McVeigh, Sinclair etc. your average age will go up significantly.

I wouldn't be so sure you have the best youth either. You have the quantity but I am not sure about quality. Who are your best young players under 22? We are about to go top of the VFL ladder and have some good youth not getting games atm.

Who gives a **** about who is running around in your VFL team. They can’t be too good if they haven’t managed to earn senior spots in a team that is outside the eight.

Rhino5

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
To repeat what everyone else has said, an extremely frustrating game. A lot of that is that the Bombers were mostly deplorable and we couldn’t take advantage of that and get the win.

The umpiring was a joke in that last quarter especially and it’s maddening to see the Bombers being gifted a path to the finals because they don’t deserve to be there. We were robbed but probably not half as bad as GWS last week - I reckon that was the most blatant display of a game being handed to a team I’ve ever seen but no one cared really because it’s GWS. The media just focuses on the “great comeback” by Essendon.

It’s not just that there are a few bad decisions, it’s when and where they are. Against GWS the Bombers must have had 4 or 5 free kicks paid right in front of goal that resulted in goals. In a couple of cases they were clear momentum changes. There was also a clear GWS mark not paid on the wing at a crucial time and a HTB against Heppell in front of his own goal not paid in the dying minutes. I would’ve been ropeable as a Giants fan.

It was similar yesterday - that Aliir free in front of goal in particular gifted them a goal and shifted momentum. So frustrating.

we had to push the boundaries of sports science because we were playing in an unfair era of cola and academies. I don't agree with it but I understand why they did it.

Been a pleasure boys I'm off. Still celebrating the big win from yesterday.

You are a DH.

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Not even close. The only umpiring you guys complained about was when your player couldn’t make the distance with his kick and wanted a win on a technicality. Jog off and enjoy your gifted games being a VIC club.

Just a quick explanation to the really dumb people out there.

The Rampe rule concerns a player deliberately shaking the post. He didn't - so no issue. So, please stop whining about this. It's simple English - just read it, challenge though that may be. Fact is - umpiring kept you in that game as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back