Autopsy Swans Vs Don's Rnd 16

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the major problem was not enough talls. If Aliir had played CHB and McCartin CHF and we played a Ruck we probably would have won.
A really ordinary game.

Season over

96 year drought continues.

Didn't take our chances and took 2 advantages inside 50 for 2 behinds.

Missed some easy set shots

Forward line look at sea.

Florent Ronke Rose McCartin all ordinary.

AA was good in the ruck

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would Sydney make official complaints about the umpiring out of the public eye? I assumed they did, but nothing ever changes, which makes me think that they just don't complain even in private. Which is astonishing, since the umpires have been openly against us for years now.

Are we really the dirtiest team in the comp and the fans simply refuse to see it? What is going on?
This is why I am no longer a Swans member. The apathy at the club is astonishing. And I'm not going to financially support a club that won't be seen by its members as standing up for itself. It doesn't have to be a big hoo har with the media type of circus. Just a monthly letter to members of the what the club has done over the last 4 weeks.

cant see us making the 8 now, which is a damned shame as that game was so winnable (even with the maggoty umpiring). I know we would have been making up the numbers anyway this year but it would have been nice to keep the streak going.

cant see us making the 8 now, which is a damned shame as that game was so winnable (even with the maggoty umpiring). I know we would have been making up the numbers anyway this year but it would have been nice to keep the streak going.

Coming 7th or 8th is useless anyway. Let’s be honest we are rebuilding get a top 10 selection and we will refresh for next year and beyond.

Wins and losses aren’t important it’s the way we play that is. That’s improved innthe last 6-8 rounds. I’m happy regardless whether we finish 13th or 14th.

This is why I am no longer a Swans member. The apathy at the club is astonishing. And I'm not going to financially support a club that won't be seen by its members as standing up for itself. It doesn't have to be a big hoo har with the media type of circus. Just a monthly letter to members of the what the club has done over the last 4 weeks.

As they did after the 2016 GF the club would be privately seething and they would be letting the umpiring department know about it if they view the decisions as badly as we all do, but the club isn't going to go public with their dealings with the umpiring department, let alone via a letter to the members (no club does it or would even consider it) because there is no purpose to doing so. Beside the fines for doing so, there is no evidence that we'll start to get more free kicks.

What the club would be doing (which did become public after the 2016 GF) is consulting with the umpiring department to see if there are any trends the club should be aware of so they can do reduce the amount of free kicks they give away and/or they can get the players to change bad habits which cause free kicks. Failing that once the match is over what purpose is yelling at the umpires or getting a "yep those free kicks were wrong" admission? We still lost, better off focusing on improving things that we can control.

According to the FK stats this season, we do get a fair few free kicks. I think we're close to AFL average. Where we get absolutely reamed is in FKs conceded. We're comfortably first on that ladder and I think have been for multiple seasons. The thing is, the Swans don't seem dirtier than any other club I've seen. We just very rarely get the benefit of doubt, which sometimes kills us and often completely changes the momentum in close games. And it just keeps happening, so I really think the club should kick up a bigger stink. Their private representations (if any) to the umpiring department obviously aren't having any effect, so I would absolutely approve of them going public with their concerns, even if it might look like sour grapes to the ignorant and the Eddie McGuire types.

Where we get absolutely reamed is in FKs conceded.

this has been the case for as long as I've been a swans fan. Its not unlucky, its not coincidence. It's not down to game style or personnel. Its not about the bloods culture being inherently violent or dirty.
Its a documented fact that non-vic teams cop it worse than vic teams year in, year out. So there is that.
On top of that is the fact that most umpires hail from Melbourne, and the Melbourne/Sydney rivalry is a very real thing. Generally speaking, Mexicans have a huge chip on their shoulders when it comes to Sydney and this is how it manifests itself.

this has been the case for as long as I've been a swans fan. Its not unlucky, its not coincidence. It's not down to game style or personnel. Its not about the bloods culture being inherently violent or dirty.
Its a documented fact that non-vic teams cop it worse than vic teams year in, year out. So there is that.
On top of that is the fact that most umpires hail from Melbourne, and the Melbourne/Sydney rivalry is a very real thing. Generally speaking, Mexicans have a huge chip on their shoulders when it comes to Sydney and this is how it manifests itself.

I call BS in your last sentence

As they did after the 2016 GF the club would be privately seething and they would be letting the umpiring department know about it if they view the decisions as badly as we all do, but the club isn't going to go public with their dealings with the umpiring department, let alone via a letter to the members (no club does it or would even consider it) because there is no purpose to doing so. Beside the fines for doing so, there is no evidence that we'll start to get more free kicks.

What the club would be doing (which did become public after the 2016 GF) is consulting with the umpiring department to see if there are any trends the club should be aware of so they can do reduce the amount of free kicks they give away and/or they can get the players to change bad habits which cause free kicks. Failing that once the match is over what purpose is yelling at the umpires or getting a "yep those free kicks were wrong" admission? We still lost, better off focusing on improving things that we can control.
I'd love the club to talk to the umpires department - show clips where we did not frees but this opponent did ..... There would be a stack of footage from just 2 games to show these discrepancies.

I'd love the club to talk to the umpires department - show clips where we did not frees but this opponent did ..... There would be a stack of footage from just 2 games to show these discrepancies.

I have no doubt that we do go to the umpires department with specific clips and questions. That club has done so in the past with how Barry Hall was treated by the umpires against other forwards and we have done similar for Buddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know things are bad when you’re hoping razor ray is umpiring your game
From what I've seen of games this year, Razor is the best going round. Yes he makes it all about him but he doesn't appear to show bias toward any team and tends to let the play flow more than most.
The standard of umpiring is appalling and getting worse every year, there'll be 100 frees a game in ten years time the way it's looking!

Disappointed this was only a fine - it was, intentional and after the mark :mad:
- Essendon's Shaun McKernan fined $2000 for striking Jordan Dawson.

A fine for Witts last week and a fine for McKernan this week.

Hey, Carlton, just get Kreuzer to smash our blokes in the head. It'll only be a fine.

FFS!

Goal kicking has been pathetic for the best part of 2-3 seasons. I don’t get it and sound like a broken record- but exactly what do they do during the week? Practice, practice and practice. Bad kicking costs games.
Didn't we have Plugger coaching goal kicking ? Mind you LP1, some of it was just poor decision making, but hey, we train under pressure too. I feel we have a great group of young forwards and when they click they can really excite, but it's still a work in progress. I thought we were going to split the drug cheats wide open in the 3rd as we had complete dominance. Alas, some stupid decision making, poor goal kicking and wasted forward thrusts resulting in turnovers let us down.

You gotta hope the game tapes are getting a good airing mid-week as there are a lot of "learning moments" on them. I suspect this week's lesson might be "When not to take the advantage in front of goal".

From what I've seen of games this year, Razor is the best going round. Yes he makes it all about him but he doesn't appear to show bias toward any team and tends to let the play flow more than most.
The standard of umpiring is appalling and getting worse every year, there'll be 100 frees a game in ten years time the way it's looking!
It's where and when the frees are paid that gets me. Not all frees are equal. Umps will give opposition teams critical 50m penalties or give/miss frees inside the arcs that can swing the momentum of a game just at a crucial time. To avoid bias they slip a few low value late frees to us, say in lieu of a mark or for a deliberate OOB somewhere on a lost flank in junk time. It's like some teams have a box of golden frees they can call on when needed (Hawthorn always had them).

Didn't we have Plugger coaching goal kicking ? Mind you LP1, some of it was just poor decision making, but hey, we train under pressure too. I feel we have a great group of young forwards and when they click they can really excite, but it's still a work in progress. I thought we were going to split the drug cheats wide open in the 3rd as we had complete dominance. Alas, some stupid decision making, poor goal kicking and wasted forward thrusts resulting in turnovers let us down.

You gotta hope the game tapes are getting a good airing mid-week as there are a lot of "learning moments" on them. I suspect this week's lesson might be "When not to take the advantage in front of goal".

Honestly no idea whether Plugger is there full time, but whether he is or isn’t reallybdoesnt matter. I honestly feel they aren’t doing enough goal kicking. Now it may just be me but good goakickong can make it a lot easier. You shouldn’t be missing shots from point blank range like Hayward

Honestly no idea whether Plugger is there full time, but whether he is or isn’t reallybdoesnt matter. I honestly feel they aren’t doing enough goal kicking. Now it may just be me but good goakickong can make it a lot easier. You shouldn’t be missing shots from point blank range like Hayward

Up until this game I am pretty sure we had a set shot accuracy of 59 or 60% which was #1 in the AFL.

Up until this game I am pretty sure we had a set shot accuracy of 59 or 60% which was #1 in the AFL.

Which still seems very low! Our bad games tend to be utterly awful which surely is a technical issue

Which still seems very low! Our bad games tend to be utterly awful which surely is a technical issue

Might seem low but it’s not.

Cats most accurate team this year for all shots at around 58% then Eagles 56%, GWS 55%, Collingwood 54%, Tigers 53%, Swans 52%.

So we are 6th most accurate overall for all scoring shots. So our inaccuracy appears to come from our shots in general play, not set shots, at least for the season to date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back