Autopsy Swans Vs Dons Rnd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the plea of don't be so Buddy conscious dies a thousand deaths in a close game when he's one on one in the goal square

GO Buddy!

Case 1 - Buddy gives Blakey a mouthful for selfish play
Case 2 - McInerney runs and delivers to great position for Bud, enabling the match winner.

Wicks can go out please

I'm baffled by this board sometimes.
We're 4 for 4, just had a gutsy win and people want half the team dropped.

But this suggestion takes the cake.
13 disposals at 69% efficiency, 8 tackles and a week removed from getting all 10 votes in the coaches award.

Now unless I'm missing some banter/exchange from the gameday thread or elsewhere the suggestion to drop Wicks is just bizarre.

And the plea of don't be so Buddy conscious dies a thousand deaths in a close game when he's one on one in the goal square

GO Buddy!
Wouldn't have been so close if we hadn't gone to him so much earlier.

Is it my imagination, or do we seem to focus a little less on strength/weights work than other sides?

Don't get me wrong, anyone who plays first grade footy is strong, but guys like Heeney, Mills, Rowbottom, McCartin etc seem to be built just a little more slightly than our opposition. They're all super fit, and throw themselves into the contest, but I do occasionally feel like we can be physically bullied a little bit.

Am I way off the mark?

Blakey is really starting to remind me of Rohan
All the tools , height , speed etc but not much smarts
He can play but he thinks he needs to do more with the ball than he has to.
He just needs to strip his game back. He wants every touch to be magic,, yet none of themreally are.
I know he will get it one day but the most frustrating player on our list.

Back six got their colours lowered tonight.
Thought Rampe went ok. McCartin was beaten but still had some good moments.

Campbell, Lloyd, Cunningham were all poor. Dawson just ok. Hewett needs to stick to the midfield.

I can't for the life of me understand our set up and strategy for kick ins. We had free men out to the left all night and Dawson was the only one who went that way. Lloyd and Cunningham were content to just chip it sideways or bomb to a contest all night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way Gulden is being rested. Madness.
I wouldn't be expecting any of the rookies to play 22 games if that's what you're thinking.

Gulden's output has been declining ever so slightly week by week and he's in our top 5 for time on ground.

I'm not suggesting he be dropped for form, but he's going to have a rest at some stage.

Easily the ugliest win we've had in years. Easily the most mature win we've had in years. Take the good with the bad and be happy we're 4-0.

The midfield is a ******* disaster. Clearance domination yet a failure to do anything with them. Zero composure in there. It's bad.

Easier to focus on the positives and just mention those who played really well:

Reid - Just stellar. He wanted every ball that came his way and got better with every quarter after a shaky start. Which has not usually been the case with him, as he's a confidence player so in the past when he's started poorly it's meant he's played out the game poorly. I get a sense from him that he is prepared to lead by example with this team, and his actions are backing up that desire.

Florent - When did he become the player I trust the most with ball in hand? Wasn't perfect but I'm at the point now where every time he gets it I'm fairly assured he will be effective with it and we're in safe hands. This speaks to the steadying presence I saw from him in round 1. Great start to his year.

Hickey - Just tries so hard but unlike a fellow trier in Sinclair, he has the physicality to turn that effort into impact. Have really really liked his first month.

Heeney - Once again looked a class above anyone else on the ground, until he got injured. Un*******believable.

Gulden & McInerney - Throwing these two in together as I thought our young brigade collectively had an off night, these two being the exceptions. When we needed composure, these two had it. They are smart and they are skilled. I can't believe there was a strong possibility that McInerney was going to be dropped for this game. He is one of our better younger players.

Buddy got through unscathed and looked solid.

Ps. Anyone who ever doubts how important composure is again, go back and watch this game. IMO, it is without question the single most important quality a player can have. On that note, all eyes on Rowbottom's knee.

Pps. Anyone who isn't on ******* cloud nine about being on top of the ladder and undefeated with a team of kids after yet another nailbiter against this rabble of a nemesis, check your pulse.

I’d love to know what happens at kick ins. Do the boys sort it out amongst themselves? Is it a rotation? For the life of me I cannot work out why Lloyd needs to take kick ins now other than it gets his stats up. Credit where it’s due , he did hit Reid up the centre but generally he kicks either to the pocket or to where the 50 arc meets the boundary.

Campbell and Dawson are the only two that should be taking kick ins

Case 1 - Buddy gives Blakey a mouthful for selfish play
Case 2 - McInerney runs and delivers to great position for Bud, enabling the match winner.

Buddy gave Blakey a mouthful for making the wrong decision not being selfish. He was trying to kick to Bell. Unless you are talking about a different passage of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back