Autopsy Swans Vs Dons Rnd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The first quarter inaccuracy in front of goal, and inability to hit the target in general play almost cost Sydney the game there and then.
Credit to the team they could claw it back in the second, and stay with a very impressive Essendon side.
Loved the work of Hickey in the centre clearances, and at the stoppages in general.
Plenty of things to learn from that game , but especially good for the youngsters to be tested.

Heeney missing games is going to be a huge hole. His marking ability is off the charts. Looks like he’s finally reached the level where no matter the opponent he makes the game appear in slow mo

And of all injuries that could affect that marking prowess a broken hand is it

Thought Rampe went ok. McCartin was beaten but still had some good moments.

Campbell, Lloyd, Cunningham were all poor. Dawson just ok. Hewett needs to stick to the midfield.

I can't for the life of me understand our set up and strategy for kick ins. We had free men out to the left all night and Dawson was the only one who went that way. Lloyd and Cunningham were content to just chip it sideways or bomb to a contest all night.

I think Campbell tries to do too much because of his minutes restrictions on the field. But he's unlucky in that he's still trying to feel his way into the team whilst also having to learn and play in a new position on the fly.

The defenders lost a lot of their 1 on 1s tonight but the rule changes this year have meant that a lot of the players in the back six across the competition are doing the same.

Carey wrote an interesting article about this so it will be intriguing to see how the backline adjusts.

Last edited:
First it was the academies, then dimma thinks we won because we were getting paid marks on kicks that went 14.9m and now it will be umps
Well point two and three sort of have the same cause lol.

Papley scragged all first half. No love from umps. Then blew the chance to win the game twice. Still super exciting to watch. Love Papley.

Hack kicks with no one within cooee - yes I’m referring to Lloyd and Cunningham for the most part. They were both rattled. I thought they would have a couple of ounces more composure as senior players, but no.

Bombing into the forward line. There were plenty of handball options to teammates in space, but the ball was bombed in as a rule. Composure needed.

Florent was great in traffic and his delivery has improved out of sight. Even in a scrap like tonight, he showed some silk.

Rampe’s disposal has been very average so far this year. In previous years he has been such an accurate long kick. I hope this comes back soon...

So ironic but our game plan is not suited to our home ground. We need two game plans. One for home and one for away. Don’t know if this is even possible...

Can I just remind us all that we are undefeated after four rounds! Fantastic start to the season. Another few wins and no one will be able to find the lid.

Watched the game live so always a different perspective to TV... for better or worse

• The SCG all of a sudden feels very small for fast ball movement. Maybe it was good coaching, or maybe it’s easier to shut down, but felt the Bombers did a good job closing us down on the whole
  • Buddy’s best now seems to be less on the lead, and more one on one near the square. I think this only helps with the likes of our new forward line who can lead into space whilst they double team him
  • McInerney really does have that x-factor. Somewhat unconventional In approach, but also strangely the bloke who when he has the ball you don’t you don’t think he will f it up. Love watching him, and also love that Horse had him out there in the final few minutes
  • I think this game in the context of a whole season is helpful... most of what the new ‘20 recruits have touched has turned to gold...but there’s a grind that is part of football so good to be on the winning ledger of it. Logan was quiet, Braeden’s kicks didn’t always hit and Gulden didn’t goal some he did last few weeks, but
  • Warner is not a <10 game player... he is a guy ready to just pump out 20 touches a week every week with 5 tackles to go with it. Absolute weapon... once again Kinnear and co have smashed it out of the park
  • Hickey... love the man, and he was unreal again... forgotten what it is like to have a good ruckman! But gee he was lucky 3 or 4 times to get away with holding the balls out of ruck, and at crucial times
  • Structurally you wonder about Hewett, Bell etc in our new world. Bell looked lost as a forward, Hewett down back and it never really fit, especially after his incredible efforts last week. It will be interesting if/when we lose more players to injury how some of these fringe players slot in eg Clarke etc. also what happens to George at year end
  • Kudos to Reid too. He was the player you wanted him to be every game tonight. Although I still judge him as the player who has played 155 games for 162 goals (noting he has been a swing man at times)... very interested to see what happens at the end of this year and whether he / we resign - more so from the loyalty vs value equation.
  • At the game, I didn’t really notice Wicks at all. Check the stats post game... 8 tackles. That’s the stuff that as a coach you must think “this kid is a gem”.

All in all, a win is a win and you take it. A side on the “rebuild” taking the 4 points against a team that should arguably be ahead. 4-0, it’s exciting

Wicks has 29 pressure acts, most on ground and you want to drop him?
Once a bombers supporters always a bombers supporter.

Arrrhhh meant to be Bell sorry. Typing in in the train made a mistake.

Out Bell (Rowbottom)
Out Blakey (Stephens)
Out Heeney, injured (Hayward)
Out Franklin (rested), McClean in.

I know he’s only 21 and he’s going to get better but mccartin really struggles 1 v 1
Nah disagree. Although Hooker got the better of him at times, he is generally very strong 1 on 1. Interestingly Hooker is really a defender and can't kick straight but good in a contest. Another couple of years and TMac won't get out positioned like he did tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be expecting any of the rookies to play 22 games if that's what you're thinking.

Gulden's output has been declining ever so slightly week by week and he's in our top 5 for time on ground.

I'm not suggesting he be dropped for form, but he's going to have a rest at some stage.

The bye is coming up soon. They will be fine.

There were a few non calls in our D50 with 3 mins left in the game that saved our arses. Umpires helped us along the way. That’s 2 weeks in a row that we have enjoyed massive free kick differentials.
Perhaps as the high flying high scoring side we might start to get the rub for a change. I think opponents are going to try to negate us and I imagine that's going to result in more frees.

Imagine thinking Hayden McLean offers more than Sam Reid

Aye. Gulden was probably our best in the Q2 recovery.
A learnin
Easily the ugliest win we've had in years. Easily the most mature win we've had in years. Take the good with the bad and be happy we're 4-0.

The midfield is a ******* disaster. Clearance domination yet a failure to do anything with them. Zero composure in there. It's bad.

Easier to focus on the positives and just mention those who played really well:

Reid - Just stellar. He wanted every ball that came his way and got better with every quarter after a shaky start. Which has not usually been the case with him, as he's a confidence player so in the past when he's started poorly it's meant he's played out the game poorly. I get a sense from him that he is prepared to lead by example with this team, and his actions are backing up that desire.

Florent - When did he become the player I trust the most with ball in hand? Wasn't perfect but I'm at the point now where every time he gets it I'm fairly assured he will be effective with it and we're in safe hands. This speaks to the steadying presence I saw from him in round 1. Great start to his year.

Hickey - Just tries so hard but unlike a fellow trier in Sinclair, he has the physicality to turn that effort into impact. Have really really liked his first month.

Heeney - Once again looked a class above anyone else on the ground, until he got injured. Un*******believable.

Gulden & McInerney - Throwing these two in together as I thought our young brigade collectively had an off night, these two being the exceptions. When we needed composure, these two had it. They are smart and they are skilled. I can't believe there was a strong possibility that McInerney was going to be dropped for this game. He is one of our better younger players.

Buddy got through unscathed and looked solid.

Ps. Anyone who ever doubts how important composure is again, go back and watch this game. IMO, it is without question the single most important quality a player can have. On that note, all eyes on Rowbottom's knee.

Pps. Anyone who isn't on ******* cloud nine about being on top of the ladder and undefeated with a team of kids after yet another nailbiter against this rabble of a nemesis, check your pulse.
[/QUOTE
Pretty damn accurate the way I saw it from Bay 28.
Essendon did their homework and got in our faces and we panicked a bit. Reverted to short exits from defence which I thought played into their hands. They played to their plan and we didn't play to ours. Lots of learning there.
Our defence looked a lot more solid when Reid was down there clumping a few critical intercept marks and generally being a nuisance. Might have to consider longer stints.
Saw one thing close to me which was quite upsetting. Young Braeden made a blue, hitting the ball into the open that led to the fluke goal from the pocket. He knew hecscrewed up, but only Harry consoled him. NOT GOOD ENOUGH, ESPECIALLY YOU DANE.
Young Errol is more involved in the game than any 19 yr old HFF has any right to be. He was less precise than usual tonight but kept hammering away to the end. If any other kid wins the RS it will beca massive injustice.
I've said a couple of times that I think maybe Logan needs a week off. His position is very physically demanding on a young body and I think he's finding it tougher with each passing week. Of course the coaches know better than I do, I just hope they look after all of them.
All in all I was proud of this young team gusting out a messy win against a determined and difficult opponent.
Funny, Rutten was proud he had 13 players under 50 games. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Was a pretty average watch but very glad to get the win. The most impressive thing is that we were able to win despite not playing well. Our field kicking, which has been great over the first 3 weeks, was ordinary today - 60% kicking efficiency I believe. Funnily enough, I think we are much more suited to playing on the MCG than the SCG.

Thought Parker and Reid were immense and I liked our forward line even though it wasn't a game that suited them. Buddy was good (kicking goals but also with some nice pressure/tackles), Wicks had excellent pressure and Reid/McDonald competed all night. I echo what people are saying about our defense. I think they discussed this on On the Couch last week, but many defenders haven't had to defend much over the past few seasons. Hewett and Lloyd didn't look very comfortable in a 1 on 1 situation in particular. Midfield was good, dominated them in the clearances, although many were rushed kicks.

I don't think we'll have too many changes to a winning team - only forced ones I suspect. Rowbottom (if he's fit) in for Heeney.

Arrrhhh meant to be Bell sorry. Typing in in the train made a mistake.

Out Bell (Rowbottom)
Out Blakey (Stephens)
Out Heeney, injured (Hayward)
Out Franklin (rested), McClean in.
A 9 day break before the next game, no way will Buddy be rested.

I said in the preview thread that we would get over the line because of our forward line, but I think that was one of our weak points.

We were so unpredictable and potent in the first few rounds because we would always kick to a 1 on 1. This game it felt like there was no separation between the forwards, everyone was in each others way.

Was it because the Bombers flooded their Defensive 50?

Essendon supporters have sooked it up over the years with these close games always blaming the umps when on the end of a close loss. I do remember sooking it up when the bombers player kicked a pass from a foot outside the boundary in one loss to be fair.

But seriously they are an entitled mob after a loss. Could hardly buy a holding the ball in that first half when our pressure was on. We've had the rub this year so far but after being dead last over the last 10 years maybe it's our friggin turn for a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back