Autopsy Swans Vs Dons Rnd 4 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see it

Take the time to read instead of writing as for years and years this board has mentioned hack kicks, blind kicks, bombing as something that doesn’t result in great outcomes.

Good for you trying to make something up to strengthen your point and now having to stick to it but you really are just making that one up.

Take the time to read instead of writing as for years and years this board has mentioned hack kicks, blind kicks, bombing as something that doesn’t result in great outcomes.

Good for you trying to make something up to strengthen your point and now having to stick to it but you really are just making that one up.

Ok. I don't think the treatment is anywhere near the same.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm drunk.

Would definitely root Luke Parker

Dinner first of course

Consent required

alex4445

Team Captain
Sep 20, 2006
Wollongong
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty happy with the win, liked the fact we were able to grind it out when we faded badly in the first 3 rounds. Will be a good lesson for the young guys.

Felt we had 2 main issues in general play this week.

1) We lacked patience and were lazy with the ball. Whereas last week we were patient and worked hard to create a loose man to hit up when going forward, this game we were way too prepared to give up and kick to the pack down the wing or into the forward line. Now in part that was because Essendon put a lot more effort in than Richmond did but for long stretches we didnt really even try to hit up a good target.

2) Our defence hasnt been good this year, even accounting for the faster games I feel that we have allowed too many scoring shots in games that we have been mostly dominant in. Having Lloyd, Campbell, Hewett and Dawson all in the backline is a big issue for me as none of them are natural defenders and only Lloyd really has experience playing there.
-I like Dawson in the backline because of his kicking but ideally he wouldnt have to be so accountable to his man as I think it blunts his rebound and highlights that lack of defensive experience.
-Campbell is obviously young and learning a new position (and his kicking is valuable down back) and if the backline was full of quality experienced defenders you wouldnt mind blooding him there but thats not the case.
-Hewett is struggling and the question needs to be asked are we set on making him a defender because we feel he will be good at it or are we just trying to fit him in the team even if he isnt really good enough to play there. It will be tough for him to get back into the midfield in the future with the young guys coming through and over time spending longer in the midfield so for his sake he kind of needs to make it work.
-With Lloyd our current style and the rule changes diminishes his effectiveness and with his lack of height, strength and speed he can become a liability in defense. He obviously works incredibly hard but if the start to the year is any indication as to how the game is going to go for the next few years he might not have a place in the team.

Personally I would be looking to bring in Fox when he is fit, he has pace, can play on almost any forward and would provide a lot of extra flexibility with matchups especially when we are only playing with the 2 KPD's. I also liked Ling's defensive work last year, was a bit suprised with his slow loopy kicking as he has nailed creative bullet passes in the reserves but if he is playing well(Who can say without any proper reserves going on) I would look to bring him in. Gould's the last obvious option, came to the club having excelled at SANFL level but has never looked that close to getting a game but if he can improve enough to get picked he would be a nice aggressive addition to the backline.

Ultimately getting Campbell fit enough to move to a defensive wing position and sharing the wing roles with Blakey, Mcinerney and Stephens(not all at once) would be best but until then i feel that we could get improvements by replacing Hewett with Fox and Lloyd with Ling. With those 2 changes I feel that we harden up our defence a lot while not really losing much, and if things go right gaining on our attack from defence(Fox's pace and long kicking and Ling's bullet passes).

Apologies for the long essay I just think we are really close to something special this year and dont want to be blinded to good options.

TLDR; More patience, less lazy going forward. Too many poor defenders playing in defence, swap for better defensive players who are better suited to current rules and gamestyle.

Merrett with the dive in the final minute pretending Mills had clocked him one.:madv1::poov1:

Yeah I was pissed off at Mills when it happened but then looking at the replay Merrett sold the umpire one big time.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Here's food for thought. If not for score review Tippa's kick that was Rampes touch was going to be a goal according to the bloke behind the sticks.
Rare event. The goalie was in pretty poor position. Even on the odd occasion they get it wrong their positioning is usually spot on. This guy hung back off the line.we could see the touch from 50 metres away!

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m not gonna put the boot into Bell.

I thought he actually had a couple of important touches in the last.

But I do wonder why it is Horse rates him enough to play medical sub when there are so many other quality options knocking on the door.

He is giving him opportunity before delisting at end of year imo

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Did everyone think we’d kick 20 goals every game and win by 50 points? These games are inevitable and closer to the norm, we’ve shown that we can still fight out a win even when our scintillating game plan is being negated. That’s ok, we still won and we will learn.

Guys like Campbell and Logan need to see the hard side of footy, and they both competed so well even when beaten. That nine 9 break is perfect timing and I’d stick with basically the same team next week. Hayward for Heeney or you could bring Rowbottom in for Heeney and see if a move forward can spark Blakey again.

It’s a long season and these narrow wins are like diamonds. We bank it, we learn from it and we power on.

The upside is also that we have a relatively soft run while Heeney recovers so I doubt it will have a serious impact on our fortunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I was really really impressed with Logan, don't think he was targeted enough, and he dropped a few easy marks, but he did a lot with the ball and kept working up and down the ground.

Seemed really composed as well, didn't seem to rush himself, and probably would've had a goal in the last play if not for the siren.

Did everyone think we’d kick 20 goals every game and win by 50 points? These games are inevitable and closer to the norm, we’ve shown that we can still fight out a win even when our scintillating game plan is being negated. That’s ok, we still won and we will learn.

Guys like Campbell and Logan need to see the hard side of footy, and they both competed so well even when beaten. That nine 9 break is perfect timing and I’d stick with basically the same team next week. Hayward for Heeney or you could bring Rowbottom in for Heeney and see if a move forward can spark Blakey again.

It’s a long season and these narrow wins are like diamonds. We bank it, we learn from it and we power on.

The upside is also that we have a relatively soft run while Heeney recovers so I doubt it will have a serious impact on our fortunes.

Hmmn I thought Heeney was our best player until injured. Marked everything in sight. His role as a medium forward is vital in providing a point of difference.

Too often our mids - usual suspects bombed it in long like the days of yore. People are discussing bringing in Haywood or playing Blakey up forward. My preference is to play Parker much more up forward and less in the mids. Who knows whether Haywood is in any sort of form and Blakey despite his effort is absolute clanger city.

The Giants, whatever their weaknesses and terrible injury list, have a quick midfield. Their young ruckman is also most impressive and will give Hickey a strong challenge. If fit Rowbottom must play and start in the centre square with Mills and Warner. JPK and Stephens start on the bench. Parker should start forward as a marking 'medium' and forward organiser.

I was really really impressed with Logan, don't think he was targeted enough, and he dropped a few easy marks, but he did a lot with the ball and kept working up and down the ground.

Seemed really composed as well, didn't seem to rush himself, and probably would've had a goal in the last play if not for the siren.

Agree. Logan never dropped his head and had a 'nearly' game.

Essendon played an extra number back for periods and the fwd line was crowded. I also think he copped some treatment. The preference of experienced players to bomb it long did not help. Only Gulden, JMac and Ollie looked to lower their eyes. I still think he could have run more leads but the space was crowded.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Hmmn I thought Heeney was our best player until injured. Marked everything in sight. His role as a medium forward is vital in providing a point of difference.

Too often our mids - usual suspects bombed it in long like the days of yore. People are discussing bringing in Haywood or playing Blakey up forward. My preference is to play Parker much more up forward and less in the mids. Who knows whether Haywood is in any sort of form and Blakey despite his effort is absolute clanger city.

The Giants, whatever their weaknesses and terrible injury list, have a quick midfield. Their young ruckman is also most impressive and will give Hickey a strong challenge. If fit Rowbottom must play and start in the centre square with Mills and Warner. JPK and Stephens start on the bench. Parker should start forward as a marking 'medium' and forward organiser.

Not disagreeing re: Heeney. He was our best and tbh he’s our most dynamic player by a fair margin. He’ll be a huge loss but I’d rather it happens now instead of during the finals.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
bring the pressure and the rest will follow..
working for the Swans, certainly worked for Wicks.. maybe it'll come for Bell??
I think Wicks is smart enough to play as a forward. Bell doesn’t have the tricks so gets a bit lost in traffic. But as Robbieando pointed out, his efforts are immense.

I think he’s a citizen we persevere with. Maybe not next week with a couple coming back, but we should keep giving him chances when we can.

I hate this “never again” stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back