Autopsy Swans Vs Dons Rnd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Club website saying Melican BOG in the last VFL trial match. Could easily come in with Parker and Hewett splitting mid/fwd duties.
Though I'd also really like to see what Haywood can do with these better I50 entries. Blakey might cop a week for that late hit and so both Melican and Haywood can come in.
$2,000 fine for the bump by Blakey , as per Fox Footy

I'm usually pretty happy with what Reid puts out. You know he's going to miss his set shots half the time and you know he's going to drop easy marks half the time. If you come to terms with these two things then it's easy to see all his other benefits to the team. He's a great contested mark, he works hard off the ball to provide an outlet on the wings, he backs up into defense and does a great job intercepting when required, he's a great forward half ruck and he brings the ball to ground well.

I saw him do all those good things but at the same time even on a good night he always manages to fluff a couple of things he should be able to do.

Can't really see where Hewitt fits in this side full time. He seems an awkward fit in the backline, he doesn't really offer anything different to what we already have in midfield, maybe the forward line with Heeney missing? Personally I'd love to see Hayward make the selectors job really difficult by making Heeney's place his own in his absence.

I know we've picked a lot of attacking defenders recently, maybe we need a bit more of a pure defender down there to balance us out a bit more. 3 defensive defenders (Rampe, McCartin,?) and 3 attacking defenders (Dawson, Campbell, Lloyd). I liked our balance there with Mills, I feel like we need someone to step up and fill that role. Maybe it's early days and that could be Hewitt. I just realised I'm forgetting Cunningham rotating off the bench.

The problem (if you can even call it that) of having a pretty clean injury list and winning 4-0 is that we have so many players who could really play a role in this side but they just can't get a game.

Why is Reid expected to be 100% perfect ? No player is. Buddy dropped an easy chest mark and missed a goal too. All players do but somehow even in an arguably BOG performance some folks still want to pick fault with him. Reid does his role and does it well. That's why he's been a walk up start for the past 10 years.

The myth of Reid being a poor shot for goal is just that, a myth. Over his entire career Reid has kicked for goal at almost 60%, just behind McCartin (62%) and Heeney (61%) but ahead of both Papley (58%) and Buddy (57%). Reid's pretty much "good to very good" for a forward. For comparison, Tony Lockett was one of the most accurate ever and kicked at 69% over his career. Being just 10% behind Plugger's goal kicking average is a long way from "missing his set shots half the time".

Reid's real value is he's not a stay at home forward. He's more utility cum ruck/forward in the vein of LRT than a true key forward. He covers a lot of ground, playing everywhere he's needed as our Mr Fixit, and while he may drop the odd mark, like anyone else, he takes the ones that count. He remains our No.1 contested mark and our goto get-out target from defence. He also racks up our highest number of 1%ers.

This year close to 2 of every 3 of Reid's shots sailed between the big sticks. Not bad at all and, among those who have had a ping, he's ahead of Heeney, Warner, Papley, Florent, Gulden, Blakey, Dawson, Kennedy & Campbell.

For 2021 so far, McInerney is our most accurate kick for goal. A genuine dead eyed dick, as he showed on Thursday night.

100% McInerney 3 - 0
100% McLean 1 - 0
80% Hickey 4 - 1
75% Mills 3 - 1
67% Franklin 6-3
67% Wicks 6 - 3
63% Logan 7 - 4
62.5% Reid 5 -3
62.5 % Parker 5 - 3
57% Heeney 8 - 6
57% Warner 4 - 3
52% Papley 7 - 6
50% Florent 1 - 1
40% Gulden 4 - 6
25% Blakey 1 - 3
0% Dawson 0 - 2
0% Kennedy 0 - 2
0% Campbell 0 - 1

We've got a good spread of (potential) goal kickers

Last edited:

I really thought more of you would be Sydney beaches boys and girls, but obviously not, so I'll give you the tip...

Any where from Maroubra to Palm beach (ie from Botany Bay to Hawkesbury River) where there is a wide expanse of uncovered grass within 10kms of the coast, starts collecting dew from just after dark. By 8.30 - 9.00 pm, sitting on the ground guarantees that you are wet through to your skin, regardless of what you are wearing. If you are playing sport, then the grass and ball are as wet as they would be if you were playing in an ongoing light shower... as are your boots and socks!

When Horse says that it was a bit slippery out there, with a bit of dew about... you need to consider the source. He's the same bloke that said Sam Reid played well on Thursday, had a nice game...

EDIT: Apologies, should have read on... just saw that Donza has already explained how damp it was :)
So we need to go to Bunnings and buy up all their de-humidifiers to place around the ground :)

Last edited:
Why is Reid expected to be 100% perfect ? No player is. Buddy dropped an easy chest mark and missed a goal too. All players do but somehow even in an arguably BOG performance some folks still want to pick fault with him. Reid does his role and does it well. That's why he's been a walk up start for the past 10 years.

The myth of Reid being a poor shot for goal is just that, a myth. Over his entire career Reid has kicked for goal at almost 60%, just behind McCartin (62%) and Heeney (61%) but ahead of both Papley (58%) and Buddy (57%). Reid's pretty much "good to very good" for a forward. For comparison, Tony Lockett was one of the most accurate ever and kicked at 69% over his career. Being just 10% behind Plugger's goal kicking average is a long way from "missing his set shots half the time".

Reid's real value is he's not a stay at home forward. He's more utility cum ruck/forward in the vein of LRT than a true key forward. He covers a lot of ground, playing everywhere he's needed as our Mr Fixit, and while he may drop the odd mark, like anyone else, he takes the ones that count. He remains our No.1 contested mark and our goto get-out target from defence. He also racks up our highest number of 1%ers.

This year close to 2 of every 3 of Reid's shots sailed between the big sticks. Not bad at all and, among those who have had a ping, he's ahead of Heeney, Warner, Papley, Florent, Gulden, Blakey, Dawson, Kennedy & Campbell.

For 2021 so far, McInerney is our most accurate kick for goal. A genuine dead eyed dick, as he showed on Thursday night.

100% McInerney 3 - 0
100% McLean 1 - 0
80% Hickey 4 - 1
75% Mills 3 - 1
67% Franklin 6-3
67% Wicks 6 - 3
63% Logan 7 - 4
62.5% Reid 5 -3
62.5 % Parker 5 - 3
57% Heeney 8 - 6
57% Warner 4 - 3
52% Papley 7 - 6
50% Florent 1 - 1
40% Gulden 4 - 6
25% Blakey 1 - 3
0% Dawson 0 - 2
0% Kennedy 0 - 2
0% Campbell 0 - 1

We've got a good spread of (potential) goal kickers

Does Reid’s percentage include out on the full?

I’m only poking fun I love Reidy one of our best marks in the team.

He does spray a kick or two in set shots then surprises you nailing a difficult one.

Has had a stellar start to the season.

The thing I have found more entertaining than the Essendon sooks have been the Richmond sooks coming in, claiming to be neutral and using our free kick count to justify how they got smashed the week before. They seem more offended by Thursday night than Essendon fans. They have gone full Chernobyl after last night too. Think a few are getting a little nervous.

That kick from Blakey in the last that didn’t go for goal or Bell or Franklin when he had all three options, was very very bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A learning experience.
Look if Florent can go from what he's been the last few years, to what he's producing now, then let Blakey learn on the job. He's going to start running through the heart of defenses and scoring those goals any weekend now. The extra space afforded now teams cannot flood back in time is goging to suit him very weel. The 3 or 4 similar chances he's had over the last few weeks are pointing to it. On all occasions he could have run an extra 5-10 meters before kicking the goal, but he'd already run far and began to doubt himself. Needs to take the extra bounce and hit the goal just before a defender gets to him.

I reckon it's coming...

A learning experience.
Look if Florent can go from what he's been the last few years, to what he's producing now, then let Blakey learn on the job. He's going to start running through the heart of defenses and scoring those goals any weekend now. The extra space afforded now teams cannot flood back in time is goging to suit him very weel. The 3 or 4 similar chances he's had over the last few weeks are pointing to it. On all occasions he could have run an extra 5-10 meters before kicking the goal, but he'd already run far and began to doubt himself. Needs to take the extra bounce and hit the goal just before a defender gets to him.

I reckon it's coming...
A bit of a mitigating circumstance for Blakey in the primary clanger .... look at what Bell does - he neither leads at the ball carrier nor breaks into space towards goal. He just kinda .... stands there jostling with his defender. It left Blakey clearly in two minds, as bombing to Buddy wasn’t a great option either.

Cracker game. Are there a more whiney lot than those Essendon players (other than Richmond of course, but that's a given) ? Umps ought to slap them with a "stop yo bitchin' " 50m penalty. w

Reid was BOG for mine. Just the 15 touches but huge in contested marks and kicking at close to 100%. Even when he didn't take possession he just impacted the game in so many ways and in so many places, especially when it counted. Ollie Florent showed real maturity performing under pressure, using that deft side step of his to buy space. Kennedy, Parker and Rampe led from the front, as did Mills. It's really good to see our leaders showing the way. The defence got a bit of a hammering and it looked like a scene from Laurel and Hardy for a while there. No communications, running into each other or leaving the opposition undefended. Gulden and Warner were good under pressure, but not exactly clean. Disposal efficiency overall was a bit ugly. Wicks did some great pressure acts but Campbell and particularly McDonald seemed to find it way too hot in the kitchen. Buddy menaced all game and came to the fore when we needed him. Hickey showed us again why he's a great pickup. Bell did a few good things but needs to be more involved. It was nail-biting but not a disappointing game. Heck we're 4-0 (just like in 2012) and had we shot straight it would have been déja vu all over again. Converting just half those behinds would have seen thrashing Essendon by about the same amount as we thrashed Richmond. Shame about Heeney when he was just finding some star form. Blakey is struggling to find his mojo but had glimpses of brilliance. McCartin/LLoyd/Cunningham were all honest without being spectacular.

Essendon deserve credit for great coaching and great execution of their strategy. Their young guys played well and they put a lot of pressure on from all the right places. In their current form they'd smoke Richmond and at least Rutten doesn't rest on his laurels or whinge like Hardwick does ("we won three premierships" - someone needs to tell him that was then, this is now). I wouldn't be surprised to Essendon finish higher than Richmond this year, especially on current form.

I thought the umpiring was sub-standard with questionable decisions going against both sides. The free kick count was in our favour (for once) but that was probably because we had more of the ball. A little too much bombing in hope but we were very effective with the eyes lowered. Good to grind out the win when everything seemed to be going a bit pear-shaped.
Yep.. umpiring was average. But good to hear Rutten in the post match squash any chatter about it . When asked about the Hickey HTB non decision.. he said "Didn't see it". He obviously did see it, was pissed off about it, but knows thats footy. Horse plays the same way.
Respect for them both

A bit of a mitigating circumstance for Blakey in the primary clanger .... look at what Bell does - he neither leads at the ball carrier nor breaks into space towards goal. He just kinda .... stands there jostling with his defender. It left Blakey clearly in two minds, as bombing to Buddy wasn’t a great option either.
I reckon he was always going for Bell and at the last second saw buddy in front on the lead and tried to hit him. It was a poor kick but hey, that's football. I still think a shot in the reserves for a few weeks to give him the confidence to take those extra few steps to settle before kicking will do him wonders. And we need to do it early because the benefits I think will be huge for the team when he come back in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy has shown an incredible engine and willingness to use it over the last few games. I noticed that run, and the run to pressure Reiwoldt the week before. He's had a massive influence.

Hickey has been so good, and has what seems a great work ethic, and workrate, you wonder what the heck his previous clubs were doing that he couldn't settle into a spot ... even at west coast with nicnat fit, they've often had a second ruck playing ... but hickey hasn't found his niche, til now ... he's been outstanding

$2,000 fine for the bump by Blakey , as per Fox Footy
We needed him to get two weeks. He is going to cost us a game I'm sad to say.
He cost us a couple last year with his bad misses but I forgave him as being so young.
Third year in & with the way Gulden & Campbell go about it as 18 year olds, his excuses have run out for mine.

Hickey has been so good, and has what seems a great work ethic, and workrate, you wonder what the heck his previous clubs were doing that he couldn't settle into a spot ... even at west coast with nicnat fit, they've often had a second ruck playing ... but hickey hasn't found his niche, til now ... he's been outstanding
A lot of footy is played between the ears as we know. Perhaps the cuture at GC was pretty yuk. Saints didn't seem to want him that much, he's a Qlder and his wife is an east coast gal so they set out on an adventure to Perth. He and the Eagles seemed to get along, he and the wife had a baby, along came COVID and they were isolated from family. That would suck.
Then the Swans pop up and say:
Hey big fella, we would like you to come to Sydney and be our first choice ruck, be closer to family, help us mentor this terrific young list and generally enjoy life.
And so it came to pass.
He and his family are as happy as they have ever been, he is playing great footy, the coaches, players, fans and media love him.
Life is good.

A lot of footy is played between the ears as we know. Perhaps the cuture at GC was pretty yuk. Saints didn't seem to want him that much, he's a Qlder and his wife is an east coast gal so they set out on an adventure to Perth. He and the Eagles seemed to get along, he and the wife had a baby, along came COVID and they were isolated from family. That would suck.
Hey big fella, we would like you to come to Sydney and be our first choice ruck, be closer to family, help us mentor this terrific young list and generally enjoy life.
And so it came to pass.
He and his family are as happy as they have ever been, he is playing great footy, the coaches, players, fans and media love him.
Life is good.

Sam Reid said yesterday his and Tom's families have become quite close. Both have young bubs.

And so it came to pass.
Life is good.

he looks a lot more athletic than i recall, seems to cover a lot more ground quite well ... i always had the impression he was a bit of a lumberer, but i was way off on that ... he's the next in the line of ball, jolly and mumford, rucks who seem to thrive and hit career peaks when they get to sydney ... so i hope he's spending his days off building a special display cabinet for his premiership medallions

Visited the Bombers board, they seem a little ambiguous on whether they like umpires or not.
Well with the amount of supporters that signed on, even after their injecting saga those years back, they are not good judges at all so don't concern yourself with most of them on here. There's some terrific Bomber posters on Bigfooty but the majority of the stuff I've read & heard from them over the years suggests they are just school kids in adult bodies.

During the second quarter (I think) Gulden won the footy, I think it may have been in the centre which led to a goal. In the background at the stadium it blared “ohhh Errol, I’d give anything just to be like him”.

I burst out laughing at the awesomeness of that moment lol

Did anyone else notice?

During the second quarter (I think) Gulden won the footy, I think it may have been in the centre which led to a goal. In the background at the stadium it blared “ohhh Errol, I’d give anything just to be like him”.

I burst out laughing at the awesomeness of that moment lol

Did anyone else notice?

They did the same in the Adelaide game - the behind-the-scenes stadium operators have been working hard in the off-season.

They did the same in the Adelaide game - the behind-the-scenes stadium operators have been working hard in the off-season.
Could those same behind the scenes operators mark the rows in the Victor Trumper stand so people can find their seats easier?

A learning experience.

I reckon it's coming...
I agree that he is on the cusp. Will he or won't he graduate to an A grade mid with good decisions and great lead up kicks and better disposals.

And so it came to pass.
Life is good.
You should write children's stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back