Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Hi Tedeski, bower bird selection, just the blue 'goals' but we had more or equal scoring 'opportunities' 8 from 28 with Heeney on the field. How many goals did Bell kick 0 (Heeney 1), how many scoring involvements for Bell 1, (Heeney 3). Must had done a lot of running for very little impact with 4, (Heeney 9)

Heeney>Bell.

If we want a runner get Clarke as he can run more then Bell or Stephens who can ran more then Bell and more footy nous.

I hope its not a real argument point.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

OK! So I watched the replay last night. Third time.
Heeney hurts hand just after Florent's goal (our 3rd), with 12/13 minutes on the clock in the second.
Then goes off after a free kick /mark to McInerny who goals. We are 4.6.
We definitely defended our forward 50 entries after that time. Bell added some extra run though not dominant but helped the two way running.
We slowed the Bombers scoring by getting back quicker than we did in the early period of the match. Our forward line with the one extra small became more mobile. The game definitely changed for us & we had more movement of players back & forth through the midfield.
We had McDonald, Buddy, Reid/Hickey, Heeney playing tall marking forward roles.
Just how I saw it. Nothing to do with another player being better than Heeney.:rolleyes:

Heeney hurts hand just after Florent's goal (our 3rd), with 12/13 minutes on the clock in the second.
We definitely defended our forward 50 entries after that time. Bell added some extra run though not dominant but helped the two way running.
We slowed the Bombers scoring by getting back quicker than we did in the early period of the match. Our forward line with the one extra small became more mobile. The game definitely changed for us & we had more movement of players back & forth through the midfield.
Just how I saw it. Nothing to do with another player being better than Heeney.:rolleyes:

This is such a dumb hill to die on.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think it's more likely that the coaches adapted than Bell being the missing piece.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I think it's more likely that the coaches adapted than Bell being the missing piece.
Missing my point.
A mid on for a big. Heeney was a marking forward on this particular night.
The SCG does not suit us with 4 marking forwards who all lead to a spot as we run out of ground.
Go small on the SCG.

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
After our heroics v Richmond I asked a daughter if we could view the laptop on the big screen and voila... not only are the mighty Swans resurgent, but I can watch on the big screen, at my leisure, no ads and no drivel between quarters... and I managed to get it organised last night without burdening the tech-heads in the family 😎
And so, briefed by the highlights package, player interviews, a few media snippets and 600-odd opinions from here, I kicked back fully prepared to see Blakey single-handedly do his best to lose the game, James Bell’s incompetence embarrassing our great club and Georgie Hewett floating around the Pacific without a paddle, playing against a pack of no-hopers that are all on drugs.
Well I must have been viewing from the wrong angle ‘cos before I knew it, the game was over and I’d not seen any of those things. What I had seen was 2 exciting young teams going hammer and tong, in difficult conditions, and putting on a good show, with the good guys prevailing in a see-sawing battle.

I didn’t see any player win every contest he was involved in... and some were involved more than others.
I didn’t see any player execute his every possession to perfection... and some were in position to get more than others.
I didn’t see one team win every position... and the wins and losses were spread pretty evenly around the ground.
Some make hard work of the simple things while others can pull off the miraculous without even trying... it’s a shame we can’t just recruit 22 of the latter... and what if the other 17 clubs managed to do it as well?
Even the Umpies showed human traits by making errors... Bombers cashing in on some early while the Swans may have been a little fortunate when it got down to the nitty gritty.
Nick might have lost his position and had one terrible clanger but he did win roughly half his contests used his possessions as well as most on the ground.
Belly? Well it was almost like debuting all over again for the kid that only took up the game at 15. Had a few games but after warming the bench, for what to him must’ve seemed an eternity, he has to fill Isaac’s shoes in a premiership-contending team against an opposition primed for a big result. Still... he halved his contests and used it adequately... not sure how many could’ve executed that long handball... good on you James!
And Georgie hey? I sort of got the impression his opponent must’ve kicked a bag and a half... not only learning a new position, but the clubs new attacking, skilful mindset... surely, with respect to his efforts thru the past two seasons, he is deserving of a little grace for the couple of contests/possessions that didn’t turn out exactly how we’d like?
For the Baddies... I enjoyed the likes of McGrath, Parish, Ridley, Hind, Cox, Waterman... bit of talent there but then I remembered how I’d been told they’re all druggies.
Our older boys probably the difference on the night... Parker looks in great nick... Josh dropping in quantity but certainly not quality... Harry getting the job done down back... Big Sam finally silencing his critics (how long for tho?)... Rampes really earning his paycheck (quite unbecoming to see him grinding it out lol)
Mills just seems to be in the right spot so often and only gonna get better. Ollie continuing to impress. Warner is sooo good in tight space... expect teams to start putting a bit more pressure on him, and Hickey just doing as he pleases in the ruck. What about Mr Too Small winning that ground ball that led to a goal? Outstanding!
I’ve always felt executing gameplans and roleplaying has been a struggle for Jmac and takes a little shine off his instinctive strengths but he really does seem to be growing into it... love his passion!
A little highlight for me... Logan firing up after Wicksy copped a solid hit over the boundary line... the boys are tight there’s no doubting that.
Big test this week... no matter how much they are struggling, you can bet the likes of Toby, Hopper, Taranto, Ward and Himmelberg will have their mob primed to bring us down a notch or two.

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
After our heroics v Richmond I asked a daughter if we could view the laptop on the big screen and voila... not only are the mighty Swans resurgent, but I can watch on the big screen, at my leisure, no ads and no drivel between quarters... and I managed to get it organised last night without burdening the tech-heads in the family 😎
And so, briefed by the highlights package, player interviews, a few media snippets and 600-odd opinions from here, I kicked back fully prepared to see Blakey single-handedly do his best to lose the game, James Bell’s incompetence embarrassing our great club and Georgie Hewett floating around the Pacific without a paddle, playing against a pack of no-hopers that are all on drugs.
Well I must have been viewing from the wrong angle ‘cos before I knew it, the game was over and I’d not seen any of those things. What I had seen was 2 exciting young teams going hammer and tong, in difficult conditions, and putting on a good show, with the good guys prevailing in a see-sawing battle.

I didn’t see any player win every contest he was involved in... and some were involved more than others.
I didn’t see any player execute his every possession to perfection... and some were in position to get more than others.
I didn’t see one team win every position... and the wins and losses were spread pretty evenly around the ground.
Some make hard work of the simple things while others can pull off the miraculous without even trying... it’s a shame we can’t just recruit 22 of the latter... and what if the other 17 clubs managed to do it as well?
Even the Umpies showed human traits by making errors... Bombers cashing in on some early while the Swans may have been a little fortunate when it got down to the nitty gritty.
Nick might have lost his position and had one terrible clanger but he did win roughly half his contests used his possessions as well as most on the ground.
Belly? Well it was almost like debuting all over again for the kid that only took up the game at 15. Had a few games but after warming the bench, for what to him must’ve seemed an eternity, he has to fill Isaac’s shoes in a premiership-contending team against an opposition primed for a big result. Still... he halved his contests and used it adequately... not sure how many could’ve executed that long handball... good on you James!
And Georgie hey? I sort of got the impression his opponent must’ve kicked a bag and a half... not only learning a new position, but the clubs new attacking, skilful mindset... surely, with respect to his efforts thru the past two seasons, he is deserving of a little grace for the couple of contests/possessions that didn’t turn out exactly how we’d like?
For the Baddies... I enjoyed the likes of McGrath, Parish, Ridley, Hind, Cox, Waterman... bit of talent there but then I remembered how I’d been told they’re all druggies.
Our older boys probably the difference on the night... Parker looks in great nick... Josh dropping in quantity but certainly not quality... Harry getting the job done down back... Big Sam finally silencing his critics (how long for tho?)... Rampes really earning his paycheck (quite unbecoming to see him grinding it out lol)
Mills just seems to be in the right spot so often and only gonna get better. Ollie continuing to impress. Warner is sooo good in tight space... expect teams to start putting a bit more pressure on him, and Hickey just doing as he pleases in the ruck. What about Mr Too Small winning that ground ball that led to a goal? Outstanding!
I’ve always felt executing gameplans and roleplaying has been a struggle for Jmac and takes a little shine off his instinctive strengths but he really does seem to be growing into it... love his passion!
A little highlight for me... Logan firing up after Wicksy copped a solid hit over the boundary line... the boys are tight there’s no doubting that.
Big test this week... no matter how much they are struggling, you can bet the likes of Toby, Hopper, Taranto, Ward and Himmelberg will have their mob primed to bring us down a notch or two.
Should have used a Mac

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

Nice to know someone else is just enjoying the game and revelling in our 4-0 start ... and yes, this week will be tough

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Missing my point.
A mid on for a big. Heeney was a marking forward on this particular night.
The SCG does not suit us with 4 marking forwards who all lead to a spot as we run out of ground.
Go small on the SCG.
No I'm not, we could of moved Heeney into the middle, or asked to play a crumbing role.

My point is simply that it's more likely that our better forward structure came from the coaches making a change, rather than Heeney being subbed out by basically anyone.

IMO, Heeney is our most flexible and possibly skilful player. Could of easily changed rolls and performed well.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Coaches votes;

Sydney v Essendon

10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
4 Zach Merrett (ESS)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
1 Jordan Ridley (ESS)

Coaches votes;

Sydney v Essendon

10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
4 Zach Merrett (ESS)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
1 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
So 13 players have scored coaches votes across 4 rounds with 5 players 21 or under!

Leader Board for Swans

14 Tom Hickey SYD
13 Callum Mills SYD
10 Sam Wicks SYD
10 Luke Parker SYD
9 Errol Gulden (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
5 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
4 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
=====
Round 1
10 Callum Mills (SYD)
7 Errol Gulden (SYD)
7 Tom Hickey (SYD)
3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
Round2
5 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
2 Errol Gulden (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
Round 3
10 Sam Wicks (SYD)
7 Tom Papley (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
4 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Callum Mills (SYD)
Round 4
10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
"Toby"??

His name is Punchable Greene, if you don't mind.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
No I'm not, we could of moved Heeney into the middle, or asked to play a crumbing role.

My point is simply that it's more likely that our better forward structure came from the coaches making a change, rather than Heeney being subbed out by basically anyone.

IMO, Heeney is our most flexible and possibly skilful player. Could of easily changed rolls and performed well.
He could have true, but he hasnt played middle for the 3 previous games.
In fact he has been our most consistent marking forward every game now,
Why would we mo e him.
Perhaps we leave Buddy out every second week.

He could have true, but he hasnt played middle for the 3 previous games.
In fact he has been our most consistent marking forward every game now,
Why would we mo e him.
Perhaps we leave Buddy out every second week.

Isn't your entire argument that we were better without him in the forward line?!

Make up your mind.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Isn't your entire argument that we were better without him in the forward line?!

Make up your mind.
That's how you interpreted it. That's not what I meant.He went off injured so we were forced tochange the structure & we looked different.
Bell doesn't play the same role Heeney has played for our team in each of our games this season.
Heeney obviously stays in that role when fit. One tall must go IMO.when we play at the SCG.
Not Heeney but McDonald, Buddy or Reid. It was similar against the Crows. They scored heavily against us & had they kicked straight, we may hadropped the game.
My evaluation of it & my comment was that when Heeney went off, the extra two way runner changed our structure & allowed us to stop the Bombers rebounding so quickly, as Adelaide did.
It's just an opinion/onservation.

Apr 3, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Coaches votes;

Sydney v Essendon

10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
4 Zach Merrett (ESS)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
1 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
This is more challenging to work out than I first thought...

Horse:
5 Parker
4 Reid
3 Merrett
2 Mills
1 Ridley

Rutten:
5 Parker
4 Reid
3 Hickey
2 Kennedy
1 Merrett

Reasoning: Merrett had to be 3 and 1, and whoever gave him 1 could not have voted for Ridley. I can't honestly see Horse giving all but one vote to our boys, so it has to be this way around. And we all know he <3s Callum. Kennedy still makes an impression on those less familiar with our team who haven't been spoiled by his years of brilliance, so his votes had to be from Rutten.

It still makes sense if you go the other way, because Horse loves Hickey and "structure", and Rutten being a defender might fly the flag for one of his backmen.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
That's how you interpreted it. That's not what I meant.He went off injured so we were forced tochange the structure & we looked different.
Bell doesn't play the same role Heeney has played for our team in each of our games this season.
Heeney obviously stays in that role when fit. One tall must go IMO.when we play at the SCG.
Not Heeney but McDonald, Buddy or Reid. It was similar against the Crows. They scored heavily against us & had they kicked straight, we may hadropped the game.
My evaluation of it & my comment was that when Heeney went off, the extra two way runner changed our structure & allowed us to stop the Bombers rebounding so quickly, as Adelaide did.
It's just an opinion/onservation.
Easier to understand your point now and a valid argument,

2 talls - Franklin, Reid, McDonald, Mclean
2 mid size - Heeney, Blakey, Hayward, Dawson
2 smalls - Papley, Wicks, Gulden

More mobility and agility and more runners for defensive side of the game.

Several can rotate through the mids..

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Easier to understand your point now and a valid argument,

2 talls - Franklin, Reid, McDonald, Mclean
2 mid size - Heeney, Blakey, Hayward, Dawson
2 smalls - Papley, Wicks, Gulden

More mobility and agility and more runners for defensive side of the game.

Several can rotate through the mids..

Not sure I said it too differently.
Here is my original comment on the matter.
Problem is some of you guys were going off what others were implying I said.
Like Bell being better than Heeney fot instance.:rolleyes:

"It's no coincidence that we got back to something resembling what we wanted went Heeney went off.

I'll be interested to see selection this week. Heeney not there so it will be Rowbottom for Heeney IMO.
I think we dodged a bullet actually. Heeney going off was a blessing in disguise for that particular game, dare I say it."

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Coaches votes;

Sydney v Essendon

10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
4 Zach Merrett (ESS)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
1 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
The clincher for this game was how our seniors and leaders stood up and showed the way when the game ground down to a hard slog.

Essendon had to ensure that we'd need precise disposal to get to our fast moving corridor game. They knew our guys were tired, they very likely knew it would be damp. They structured up really well to close the gaps (easier on the SCG), then they applied manic pressure, with 36 tackles in the final quarter alone. It was enough to ensure our skills were that bit off which allowed them to force quite a few turnovers. We weren't helped by poor shooting on goal wasting a lot of our good work, which was perhaps a flow on effect of perceived pressure. Whatever it was, a lot of our guys had the jitters.

In the end Essendon ensured that both sides had to battle it out in a good old fashioned slogfest, interspersed with a few moments of breakout fast moving footy. Fortunately our senior guys love that kind of footy. Mills and Rampe are used to desperately hanging on at the last line, Kennedy and Parker love to get dirty in the guts, Reid was giving us the momentary respites we needed in a pressure game, as a pop-up marking target. Hickey looked like he was enjoying being in a slug. Florent was revelling in it and quite a few of the young guys were mucking in to, spurred on by example. That type of hard fought slog was pretty much our default game in the dark years, as we tried to grind out wins or stop blowouts with an under-manned side in transition. Sometimes it's the only way forward. When we pulled off an 8 point loss to the reigning (and future) premiers last year I was ecstatic. They were always going to beat us but Horse had found a way to drag the premiers down into the muck with us. No wonder Softwick was pissed off.

The Sydney-Essendon game may not have been the prettiest, nor was it a game of two fancied sides such as Richmond v. Port Adelaide, but it was a bloody good game of footy and fans got their money's worth. Full credit to Rutten and the execution by their players. They clearly did their homework on us and they very nearly came away with the win. A damn sight better effort than the piss-weak Richmond team or their whiney coach could put up. Maybe losing a few big egos has done Essendon good. Their young players will take away more from that game than giving a hiding to a switched off St Kilda. What a fantastic learning experience for our young players too. A great lesson in what to do when everything has gone to s**t. Go back to basics and find a way to win. These are the sort of games that build character and build teams, footy's version of trench warfare.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
These are the sort of games that build character and build teams, footy's version of trench warfare.
I know this is true but I was hoping for less of these types of games this year. Swans are good at trench warfare but there are
consequences later in the season as players start to burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back