Autopsy Swans vs. Eagles - Rd 12, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

But can't he improve his decision making? Surely it is a win-win situation if he does. But after a win on the swans board you're not allowed to discuss that. All that will stand is back slapping. We're 4-8 FFS and no hope of making the finals. It's BS that we have started the season like this again. Apparently, whether we are rebuilding or not is dependant upon whether we lose or win that weekend and who to.
Not sure about you but I couldn't find that rule anywhere... :think:

Noone controls your footy opinions. You are "allowed" to talk about anything footy related that you like... Just don't get your back up when people disagree (this is everyone & not you specifically 6yearsold :)).

I agree with you to a certain extent. We seem to always leave ourselves with a mountain of work for the 2nd half of the season. Our starts to the season have become a problem, clearly. It seems to me that we start each season on the backfoot & in the process of catching up burn ourselves out before/during finals. It's certainly a frustrating pattern; made all the more glaring when we have one of the games great forwards up in our fwd 50.

Crazy thing is after our start to the year, we could quite realistically be 8-9 or 9-8 in 6 weeks time. Our next 5 games are:

Hawthorn @ SCG
Gold Coast @ SCG
Essendon @ MCG
Carlton @ SCG
Freo @ Optus

After our last three weeks, we've got much more manageable games ahead of us. It'd take a supreme optimist to say we'll win all 5 - we've been playing well but we're not world-beaters - but we could quite conceivably be close to a .500 record with a month to go before finals. And we're getting good senior players back over the next couple of weeks.

We should make the 8 from here

Freo in Perth and gws look hard

The rest we should win

We should make the 8 from here

Freo in Perth and gws look hard

The rest we should win

Big issue we have here is a lot of these teams that we are playing are inconsistent.

That means it wouldn't surprise me if Essendon or Hawthorn turn up on the day and absolutely play out of their minds.

I'm happy with us not getting to finals, but want to continue seeing improvement from our youngsters and really build towards next year.

I'll try to be gentler.

In football not everyone's mind works at the same pace. Not everyone has the same vision.

Buddy and Blakey are two players who have extraordinary vision. For them the game almost slows down around them and they have an awareness of players in space.

Tom Papley is not one of those players. He's a worker. And he's tough. But he's not blessed with extraordinary vision and awareness. He would be instructed that when within range he should take the shot. This prevents him second guessing and turning the ball over when running full pelt towards goal in the forward line. Such players it's necessary to keep it simple. He's not being greedy. He's following instructions.

We ain’t making the finals. Easy to forget after such a good win but that was one out of 12 games where things finally came together and the youngsters all stood up at once. Won’t happen very often. I think we will win matches we should lose, and we will lose matches we should win. Just like the first 12 weeks.

We ain’t making the finals. Easy to forget after such a good win but that was one out of 12 games where things finally came together and the youngsters all stood up at once. Won’t happen very often. I think we will win matches we should lose, and we will lose matches we should win. Just like the first 12 weeks.

I can see us getting 9-10 wins. Not bad given our start and we’ll start 2020 a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see us getting 9-10 wins. Not bad given our start and we’ll start 2020 a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I am hoping we at least halve our last ten games. If we have players needing surgery then FFS, lets get it done now, so we have a fit squad by commencement of pre season training.

We seem to always leave ourselves with a mountain of work for the 2nd half of the season. Our starts to the season have become a problem, clearly. It seems to me that we start each season on the backfoot & in the process of catching up burn ourselves out before/during finals

Also agree with this GtG observation. Part of the problem is has been the numbers of blokes getting post season surgery. This year we finish earlier unless we win just about all our remaining games.

Surely if and when we have a review of the Footy Dept, our medicos and strength and conditioning program should be given a searching review.

Some of our players (Parker for instance) are notorious slow starters to seemingly every season. Are they fit enough or are they relying on match conditioning? Others like Mills had really hit the weights and put on size but at the expense of their speed.

Most players will lose a bit of weight during a long tough season but have we got the balance right. To my eyes oppo teams look fitter than our fellas early each season. And of course the results speak for themselves.

Oh well after all this "I agree with" palaver here is something I can take issue with.

I'll try to be gentler.

In football not everyone's mind works at the same pace. Not everyone has the same vision.

Buddy and Blakey are two players who have extraordinary vision. For them the game almost slows down around them and they have an awareness of players in space.

Tom Papley is not one of those players. He's a worker. And he's tough. But he's not blessed with extraordinary vision and awareness. He would be instructed that when within range he should take the shot. This prevents him second guessing and turning the ball over when running full pelt towards goal in the forward line. Such players it's necessary to keep it simple. He's not being greedy. He's following instructions.

By some strange mystery the magical place of Balnarring has become an outpost franchise of the Delphi Oracle. Bruce must have slaughtered half a herd of goats and precisely tracked where the steam of mist from their entrails headed off to and spent days interpreting what it all meant. How else to explain your certainty about the precise instructions Papley has been given.

For what it is worth I reckon Papley shows a lot of footy IQ, including awareness, in how he goes about his footy.

By some strange mystery the magical place of Balnarring has become an outpost franchise of the Delphi Oracle. Bruce must have slaughtered half a herd of goats and precisely tracked where the steam of mist from their entrails headed off to and spent days interpreting what it all meant. How else to explain your certainty about the precise instructions Papley has been given.

I have no knowledge of Papley's specific instructions. I am surmising based upon my observations and experience.

He plays the game at full pace and is at his best when he does so. Players who play like that are generally instructed to play instinctively, rather than overthink. The old "first option". That means that when in range, it's reasonably likely he's instructed to just take the shot.

Some of our forward rate poorly for goal assists. OK, that's not a big thing but it is a good indicator overall of a successful forward line. It shows how the goals are being shared around. Tom Hawkins leads the comp in goal assists and Geelong lead the teams followed by GWS. Interestingly Blues and Suns have the fewest goal assists. I read that the secret to Geelong's effective forward line is sharing the ball between them, which they did that back in their glory days of 07,09,11.

Paps' average is 0.75/game, as is Bud's. Blakey averages 0.55
Reid averages just 0.25/game, as does Hayward. McCartin averages a miserly 0.10 per game.
Buddy had 2 against West Coast. Papley also. He has a total of 9 but we've lost 7 games where he had none.

By contrast 7 of Geelong's forwards and midfield/forwards have more goal assists than any Swan.

All of our forwards could share more.
This is true ...
However I wonder if those stats are skewed by the fact that we have so few i50s. When the ball goes forward we seem to be scoring well. It just doesn’t go forward enough.

Burning your teammates who are closer to goal on a better angle to have a shot from 55 metres is expected of small forwards? I think that is a bit far fetched. Even those in good form and winning accolades can improve there game. Would you not have wanted one or two more goals instead of behinds or kicks that didn't make the distance because of poor decision making/selfishness?
I have to confess I usually dread when our forwards pass the ball to a ‘better position’ inside 50. It usually ends in a counter attack to the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about you but I couldn't find that rule anywhere... :think:

Noone controls your footy opinions. You are "allowed" to talk about anything footy related that you like... Just don't get your back up when people disagree (this is everyone & not you specifically 6yearsold :)).

I agree with you to a certain extent. We seem to always leave ourselves with a mountain of work for the 2nd half of the season. Our starts to the season have become a problem, clearly. It seems to me that we start each season on the backfoot & in the process of catching up burn ourselves out before/during finals. It's certainly a frustrating pattern; made all the more glaring when we have one of the games great forwards up in our fwd 50.
Let’s be honest.
Our off seasons are a disaster. Despite the PR I suspect there have been zero houses trained down for the last 7 years.

Managed to re-watch this (thanks The King! for your tip!)

- Our ball movement was as good as it had been in a long time. Seemed we had a end-to-end goal in every quarter, which is unheard of for us, and we controlled the tempo better than we had since 2017 at least. We wanted to go quick and direct, but then knew when to slow it down when needed. There was a passage, I think either late in the second or early in the third, when we were just playing uncontested kick-to-kick a la Hawthorn, between the arcs for what felt like a few minutes. We were just testing West Coast's ability to defend, and then as soon as that defence lapsed for one possession, we went bang, directly into the corridor and quickly got it inside 50.

- Rose had a worse game than I thought he did. Unpopular opinion at this time as he's a feel-good story and all but I thought his awesome goal, a few of his defensive efforts and some clearances when the match was already won wasn't enough to convince me that he is much of a footballer. Still loved his effort which never wavered across the four quarters though.

- Reid had a better game than I thought he did. Worked very hard to cover the ground and then had the skills to reward himself for that work-rate with some good marking. He is looking confident, it's just hard to get too excited about that when you know what we'll get if he loses that confidence (which history says he will.)

The Swans have to consider who should and should not play at the Optus -
*please* do not select Franklin for the the Fremantle game in July.

Or heeney with his ankles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back