Autopsy Swans vs. Eagles - Rd 12, 2019

Feb 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Denver Broncos,Chelsea,wests tigers
You can see the class of Menzel. He's a straight up natural footy player. I'd keep putting more game time into him and he'll be a weapon foir us still. Looked to be working hard in defence as well.
All the geelong supporters say he either kicks goals or does nothing.

Joycerama

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Our exits from the centre square yesterday were different. In past weeks our wings ran into the contest and we shot the ball out the back to someone who was wheeling around the back of the pack. The kick then would often go wide to a leading forward.
Yesterday, Florent stayed wide on the wing and we got the ball to him at every clearance. This meant that the ball went sideways instead of backwards and he didn't have to try to pick his way through a host of midfielders before he got his kick away.
However, how we were able to get our hands on the ball first at the centre clearances is beyond me. I was waiting for the appearance of the four horses of the apocalypse as well.
Thanks Doss

Here goes:

Menzel: slick delivery by hand and foot. Covered a fair bit of ground. Deserves another go next week for sure.

Rose: much more serviceable than the other experiments this year (Mc and Row). Also deserves another go next week

Lloyd: Rarely gets enough penetration on kick outs and generally. Compare him to Jetta and it says it all. Not all his fault. I think the set ups in the D50 on kick outs could be more clever. Everyone is so static.

COR: got lumped with Ryan and didn’t stick with him. Got pantsed before he got knocked senseless. Bad day for Colin.

Clarke: did the job. Serviceable. Actually did hit the side of a barn a few times. Frees up Hewett to cause havoc, so I think his role works in the current set up.

Florent: helps to move the ball through the middle. Not setting the world on fire.

Blakey: can’t get near the pill often but when he does, he is elite for a cold blooded reptile with no shoulders. Excitement machine.

Buddy: Mark Twain said it all.

Reid: Did what he is paid to do. At last we are seeing some real ROI. He was very good in all facets.

Mexican: Really bloody average. His mates mopped up a lot of bloopers yesterday. Needs to improve. I still think he is well worth persisting with. Remember how bad LRT and Leo Barry were in their first year or so at the club?

Ramps: elite

McVeigh: Still a class act. Gets exposed on large grounds.

Papley: Absolutely outstanding to say the least. More please!

Hewett: rapidly becoming my favourite Swans player

Parker: Hitting his stride. Seriously makes me question the conditioning and pre season prep. The swans were miles off the pace in weeks 1-6 and we’re fading in q4s. Not good enough!!

Sinclair: Totally banged up.

Dawson: should be persisted with, no doubt

McCartin: did Ok

Overall, we saw the forwards lead in a coordinated way and give each other space and support. The half back line looked sketchy when trying to mount a rebound 50, but really strung together some great passages through the middle of the ground. Very exiting to watch. We looked to be getting the ball out of the stoppages much more easily. I’m yet to look at how, but if this was a coaching change, it certainly made the difference. Anyone have any views as to how they got the ball to outside runners so successfully yesterday?

Not sure if this was intended to be a response to my post or not, but my post was just about Florent who I thought was outstanding yesterday

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Still a few whingers. That’ll never change Kirky
1560151027515.png

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Blakey and McCartin seemed to clear out of the forward 50 and left the space the Buddy, Reid and Papley. Looked like the young fellas spent more time up the middle of the ground, especially in the 2nd half. Which makes sense with all our injuries.

The more experienced older heads took control of the forward line. At least that’s how it appeared to me.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
FMD I have been watching / involved in footy a long time but are people watching the same game as me that Florent plays in ????? no idea some people seriously.
He is certainly improving, getting more of the ball this year and providing the much needed outlet alongside a few others for Parker and Hewett.
Was running at 40% DE the first half, but picked it up to finish around 66% from memory.
Currently the 174th best player in the game and finally earning his spot. If he cleans up his kicking when fatigued could really be a difference maker for us.

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Too many young players.
Too many injured old players.
Horse is no good.
We were lucky that West Coast were terrible.
We’ve lost our culture.
They were unlucky that Judd/Kerr/Cousins/Cox didn’t play.
This club sucks.
Why do I support the Swans when everything is so negative?

Am I doing this right?

He is our best midfielder with Kennedy out IMO

Probably will be even with Kennedy in the side soon

thats what we need , kennedy not to be the best

just nice work hewett parker heeney( moved his best in weeks)

would love heeney to take over the midfield in the back half of the season

Heeney and Hewett both keep their feet so well, strong around the hips. That's what we've been lacking in the middle in recent times, too many players falling to ground and getting caught holding the ball too often. I liked the amount of fend-offs we saw last night as well, mids finally playing with a bit of arrogance

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers

Watching us win clean clearances out of the middle was mind blowing. It's felt like such a long time since we've done that. It helped that Sinkers was actually winning some hitouts.

Watching us win clean clearances out of the middle was mind blowing. It's felt like such a long time since we've done that. It helped that Sinkers was actually winning some hitouts.

Sinclair had a form reversal. Was actually pretty good in the ruck contests but was hopeless around the ground. Usually it's the opposite lol

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Sinclair had a form reversal. Was actually pretty good in the ruck contests but was hopeless around the ground. Usually it's the opposite lol
To be fair Sinkers did well with some ground ball clearances for a big bloke and snagged a goal. I think the work rate was so even he didn't need to do as much around the ground.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Too many young players.
Too many injured old players.
Horse is no good.
We were lucky that West Coast were terrible.
We’ve lost our culture.
They were unlucky that Judd/Kerr/Cousins/Cox didn’t play.
This club sucks.
Why do I support the Swans when everything is so negative?

Am I doing this right?
Is this your first post of 2000-odd that hasn't included umpires? Is this really even Leg End posting?!?!?

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
To be fair Sinkers did well with some ground ball clearances for a big bloke and snagged a goal. I think the work rate was so even he didn't need to do as much around the ground.
What was noticeable in the ruck contests was that he was actually getting a lot higher in his leap. Proof (if we didn't know already) that he's been battling some form of leg injury this year, but that we really don't have anyone else that could've come in and given him a break. He's not the best ruckman in the land, but you know you'll get 100% effort from him every minute of every quarter of every game. Clearly outplayed the other two ruckmen yesterday too.

Back