Autopsy Swans vs. Eagles - Rd 12, 2019

Just nice to sit back and actually enjoy a win without stressing to the final siren.

Yep that last quarter and a bit was the most fun I'd had watching a Swans game in at least a year. The highlight for me was Hewett getting a goal that was thoroughly deserved.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I miss Lewis Jetta's boot in this team.

So true. It was one of the only things which interrupted my enjoyment of the game, I miss having Jetta at our club. And he hit some bullet kicks yesterday which only very few in this league can pull off quite like he can.

I'm glad I heard only one person boo Jetta as customary welcoming a former player of the club back. Seems like a great guy, quality player and a Swan for life in my eyes.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just thought it was interesting to post the coaches votes:

SYDNEY v WEST COAST
10 Tom Papley (SYD)
8 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
5 Luke Parker (SYD)
5 Lance Franklin (SYD)
1 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)

I'd say this could be indicative that opposition coaches don't just let Lloyd get possessions and actually value the role he plays and how he positively impacts the Swans.

SYDNEY v WEST COAST
10 Tom Papley (SYD)
8 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
5 Luke Parker (SYD)
5 Lance Franklin (SYD)
1 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)

I'd say this could be indicative that opposition coaches don't just let Lloyd get possessions and actually value the role he plays and how he positively impacts the Swans.

or simpson just read the stat sheet

or rates him, we know horse does, he won the best And fairest

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Too many young players.
Too many injured old players.
Horse is no good.
We were lucky that West Coast were terrible.
We’ve lost our culture.
They were unlucky that Judd/Kerr/Cousins/Cox didn’t play.
This club sucks.
Why do I support the Swans when everything is so negative?

Am I doing this right?
You forgot "We can't blame the umpires"

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
My thoughts. Buddy's been building for this for a while. Welcome back. Reid worked hard in everything he did from marking, to tackling, two way running hard, chasing, marking around the ground and intercepting in defence. He showed he's not just about goals but he still kicked a small bag. I thought LLoyd had his best game of the year and Mills was back to the old Mills. Heeney did some really nice things. He had a few clangers early but kept on going and finished running hard. I hope he's on his way back to full fitness. Sinclair looked shagged but kept competing. He needs a rest. Florent owned that wing. A lot of work has gone into our clearances since the Geelong game and it showed. Forward line worked like a unit. Aliir was excellent in intercepting but I've been saying all year that he needs to know when to go and when to play close to his man. Good to hear the commentators picking up the theme. Rampe is a super hero. They should make plastic Dane dolls with a 'tash made from real hair. Parker has risen lately. Reliable, talented and willing himself on every contest. Hewett has done his apprenticeship as a pure tagger and learned every trick in the book. He continues to amaze. Should be rated way higher and would be if all his possessions were added to those he stops on the opposition's best mid. Clarke has really found a niche. Papley is Papley. There is no higher praise. Dawson continues to grow. COR was brave. Rose took them on and played with a confidence that he belongs. He made a big cockup but he put his body on the line to make up for it. That shows character. McCartin was quiet but he and Blakey will get more opportunities as they grow. Both are hugely talented 19 yr old players. Melican and melidid. One of his best games. I hope he takes bags of confidence from Sunday. Macca was smooth and oiled as usual. Nice to see him directing traffic through the centre. He had a big influence early. Just Menzel left, I think. Menzel finally opened his bag of tricks and gave us reason to hope we got more from geelong than they got from us. His contested marking was sublime and that kick to Buddy on the run to his bud on the chest at full speed was one of the best, if not the best, field kick I have ever seen. Big cheers to the forwards coach who got everything right this week, including huge forward pressure.

The bye will be good for us this year.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It’s been mentioned already but Huddo really is a good commentator. He was one of my favorites when he started and still is.

He came in fresh faced and not part of the boys club of former players. We need more like him and weed out the relics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gerard Healy too. He's usually quick to defend any slur on the Swans and has good insights into our club.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
My thoughts. Buddy's been building for this for a while. Welcome back. Reid worked hard in everything he did from marking, to tackling, two way running hard, chasing, marking around the ground and intercepting in defence. He showed he's not just about goals but he still kicked a small bag. I thought LLoyd had his best game of the year and Mills was back to the old Mills. Heeney did some really nice things. He had a few clangers early but kept on going and finished running hard. I hope he's on his way back to full fitness. Sinclair looked shagged but kept competing. He needs a rest. Florent owned that wing. A lot of work has gone into our clearances since the Geelong game and it showed. Forward line worked like a unit. Aliir was excellent in intercepting but I've been saying all year that he needs to know when to go and when to play close to his man. Good to hear the commentators picking up the theme. Rampe is a super hero. They should make plastic Dane dolls with a 'tash made from real hair. Parker has risen lately. Reliable, talented and willing himself on every contest. Hewett has done his apprenticeship as a pure tagger and learned every trick in the book. He continues to amaze. Should be rated way higher and would be if all his possessions were added to those he stops on the opposition's best mid. Clarke has really found a niche. Papley is Papley. There is no higher praise. Dawson continues to grow. COR was brave. Rose took them on and played with a confidence that he belongs. He made a big cockup but he put his body on the line to make up for it. That shows character. McCartin was quiet but he and Blakey will get more opportunities as they grow. Both are hugely talented 19 yr old players. Melican and melidid. One of his best games. I hope he takes bags of confidence from Sunday. Macca was smooth and oiled as usual. Nice to see him directing traffic through the centre. He had a big influence early. Just Menzel left, I think. Menzel finally opened his bag of tricks and gave us reason to hope we got more from geelong than they got from us. His contested marking was sublime and that kick to Buddy on the run to his bud on the chest at full speed was one of the best, if not the best, field kick I have ever seen. Big cheers to the forwards coach who got everything right this week, including huge forward pressure.

The bye will be good for us this year.

Nothing wrong with a bit of positivity. It feels good and it generates confidence. Just look at the boys on Sunday, they enjoyed themselves and we should too.

It’s going to take time, not every game will be like the West Coast win, but this team has something. It’s building.

We need to lock in Papley and hopefully Jones, but Papley is the big signature. He’ll be the crowd pleaser for a decade after Buddy retires. We need that.

It’s been mentioned already but Huddo really is a good commentator. He was one of my favorites when he started and still is.

He came in fresh faced and not part of the boys club of former players. We need more like him and weed out the relics.

Yeah it's depressing 7 didn't take him back when 10 lost the rights. I mean I have Fox but I'd still love him to do the big games, and he was the perfect person to groom to replace Bruce/Dennis....not Hame, Basil or BT!

Yeah it's depressing 7 didn't take him back when 10 lost the rights. I mean I have Fox but I'd still love him to do the big games, and he was the perfect person to groom to replace Bruce/Dennis....not Hame, Basil or BT!

Despite being an idiot, BT has made entertaining what has otherwise been the most boring season of AFL I can recall.

But Seven haven't been able to replace Dennis and it's doubtful they will. I think Hamish is aiming for that role with his love of footy colloquialisms but he just comes off as annoying because he's not old enough or wise enough to do that. Basil is an excellent MC, but as a caller of football he's irritating as **** with his barracking. Bruce is a parody of himself.

I like the under-rated guys like Papalia and Speed. More interested in just calling the game than making a name for themselves.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

SYDNEY v WEST COAST
10 Tom Papley (SYD)
8 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
5 Luke Parker (SYD)
5 Lance Franklin (SYD)
1 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)

Lloyd was real good the other night. We made a huge effort in retaining possession over going forward and Lloyd was a big part of that. Often just took the little kick to settle it down over bombing it forward.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
What’s with the negativity. Old mate is still trying to live in a world where he feels the need to schedule taping. Why? When there’s so many on demand solutions.
Hi! Old mate is old lady, she is doing fine by the way.

It’s not a big deal fellas. Please don’t make it one.

Skhilton14

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I honestly keep forgetting that Kennedy and Jones are out. I sit back and think that I'm really excited about where the team is at right now and then I remember we have two guns sitting on the sidelines. Joining them is a ruckman we desperately need and one of the best lock down defenders in the game. Just unreal the effort in Sunday's game. I'm not gonna expect it to happen every week right now, but one day we might be able to and I can't wait.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I set my expectations low enough to enjoy this year. I hoped we might make finals but wasnt expecting to have so many mature players out so early or Naismith taking this long. On the plus side it gave us a chance to play even more debutants. Blakey, Clarke, Thurlow, McInerney, Menzel and Rowbum, to get more games into guys like McCartin, Dawson and Melican and with Kennedy, Jones and Cunningham also out for good a period it gave some next tier guys like Hewett, Heeney and even Florent a chance to step up. Reid, Papley and Hayward have raised their game in the absence of Buddy and Blakey has been fast-tracked.

Sunday's big win before the bye gives the young players a huge confidence boost and all a much needed rest. I've really been enjoying the last 5 weeks of footy. Even as we lost to Pies and Cats I could see we were getting close to the top two teams. It just needed to come together. I wasn't completely surprised that we took West Coast down on the weekend. Relieved yes, but not entirely surprised.

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Our best wins are where everybody contributes, and they all did against WCE in this game.

Backs - the risk was that Kennedy and Darling would cut loose and tear us apart. So well done our defenders.
Mids - Parker needs to turn up every week, as he did again. But Hewett never lets us down.
Forwards - good signs from Menzel, and Reid and Buddy finding a way. Tom Papley completely off the hook, and a deserved winner of the medal.

Team selection - I like this team as selected, although you have to find a place for Kennedy. And Clarke needs to practice his handball technique.

But pretty good. Mind you the Eagles were pretty insipid, they need the bye.

Last edited:
Our best wins are where everybody contributes, and they all did against WCE in this game.

Backs - the risk was that Kennedy and Darling would cut loose and tear us apart. So well done our defenders.
Mids - Parker needs to turn up every week, as he did again. But Hewett never lets us down.
Forwards - good signs from Menzel, and Reid and Buddy finding a way. Tom Papley completely off the hook, and a deserved winner of the medal.

Team selection - I like this team as selected. Of course you have to find a place for Kennedy. And Clarke needs to practice his handball technique.

But pretty good.

As much as I liked this performance, it is very easy to see where the guys on the sidelines come in. For example, would you rather Kennedy in the middle, or Clarke? Would you rather Jones across half back/on the wing, or Thurlow? Would you rather Hayward playing as a half forward, or Rose? And the fourth one takes care of itself when Cunningham hopefully replaces McVeigh on the HB flank. These decisions are all very obvious, we just have to hope they all bounce back as expected from their injuries. Exciting times ahead if they do!

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney

SYDNEY v WEST COAST
10 Tom Papley (SYD)
8 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
5 Luke Parker (SYD)
5 Lance Franklin (SYD)
1 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)

OK it's subjective on the coaches part, but I'll never concede that Lloyd's performance was an 8, but Rampe only a 1 ..? That's just wrong.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
OK it's subjective on the coaches part, but I'll never concede that Lloyd's performance was an 8, but Rampe only a 1 ..? That's just wrong.
Lloyd had a really good game but we did a lot of switching play at the back to open up an avenue (which worked really well mind you) and I think Lloyd racked up a lot of possies from that. I still think he's a better player than some give him credit for but Rampe had the better game I thought.

Back