Autopsy Swans vs. Eagles - Rd 12, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

14th on the ladder and we pull 37000 to the game, great attendance Sydney.

We now need to show this same form in the next 6 matches, and finals become a real possibility.

Great point that’s the most pleasing aspect the crowd

Despite being an idiot, BT has made entertaining what has otherwise been the most boring season of AFL I can recall.

But Seven haven't been able to replace Dennis and it's doubtful they will. I think Hamish is aiming for that role with his love of footy colloquialisms but he just comes off as annoying because he's not old enough or wise enough to do that. Basil is an excellent MC, but as a caller of football he's irritating as **** with his barracking. Bruce is a parody of himself.

I like the under-rated guys like Papalia and Speed. More interested in just calling the game than making a name for themselves.

BT is a moron it’s all me me me

Tom Papley just wants to win games

His second and third efforts, chase downs etc are first class

Opposition fans would hate him

He's got the skill and game nous of a top draft pick and the work ethic/attitude of a desperate Category B rookie trying to make something of himself.

I also love his personality; he seems like he'd be a brilliant teammate.

Tom Papley just wants to win games

His second and third efforts, chase downs etc are first class

Opposition fans would hate him
:heart::heart::heart:

He's got the skill and game nous of a top draft pick and the work ethic/attitude of a desperate Category B rookie trying to make something of himself.

I also love his personality; he seems like he'd be a brilliant teammate.

Energetic

Burns a few team mates but I like it we need someone who takes it

My thoughts. Buddy's been building for this for a while. Welcome back. Reid worked hard in everything he did from marking, to tackling, two way running hard, chasing, marking around the ground and intercepting in defence. He showed he's not just about goals but he still kicked a small bag. I thought LLoyd had his best game of the year and Mills was back to the old Mills. Heeney did some really nice things. He had a few clangers early but kept on going and finished running hard. I hope he's on his way back to full fitness. Sinclair looked shagged but kept competing. He needs a rest. Florent owned that wing. A lot of work has gone into our clearances since the Geelong game and it showed. Forward line worked like a unit. Aliir was excellent in intercepting but I've been saying all year that he needs to know when to go and when to play close to his man. Good to hear the commentators picking up the theme. Rampe is a super hero. They should make plastic Dane dolls with a 'tash made from real hair. Parker has risen lately. Reliable, talented and willing himself on every contest. Hewett has done his apprenticeship as a pure tagger and learned every trick in the book. He continues to amaze. Should be rated way higher and would be if all his possessions were added to those he stops on the opposition's best mid. Clarke has really found a niche. Papley is Papley. There is no higher praise. Dawson continues to grow. COR was brave. Rose took them on and played with a confidence that he belongs. He made a big cockup but he put his body on the line to make up for it. That shows character. McCartin was quiet but he and Blakey will get more opportunities as they grow. Both are hugely talented 19 yr old players. Melican and melidid. One of his best games. I hope he takes bags of confidence from Sunday. Macca was smooth and oiled as usual. Nice to see him directing traffic through the centre. He had a big influence early. Just Menzel left, I think. Menzel finally opened his bag of tricks and gave us reason to hope we got more from geelong than they got from us. His contested marking was sublime and that kick to Buddy on the run to his bud on the chest at full speed was one of the best, if not the best, field kick I have ever seen. Big cheers to the forwards coach who got everything right this week, including huge forward pressure.

The bye will be good for us this year.
The only thing I'd add to this is Macca stayed on the front bench, talking to the boys for pretty much the whole game I think... directing from the side lines... :) Gottalovemacca!

OK it's subjective on the coaches part, but I'll never concede that Lloyd's performance was an 8, but Rampe only a 1 ..? That's just wrong.
Lloyd is always there, giving them someone to pass or kick to, rather than a long bomb down the line. He gives them the steadier, the moments breathing space when the pressure is on... he's there get out of jail free card. I figure that a lot of his game and hard work doesn't show up on TV. Only reason I can think of that everyone is so down on such a valuable player...

Lloyd is always there, giving them someone to pass or kick to, rather than a long bomb down the line. He gives them the steadier, the moments breathing space when the pressure is on... he's there get out of jail free card. I figure that a lot of his game and hard work doesn't show up on TV. Only reason I can think of that everyone is so down on such a valuable player...

lloyds fine hes just a tad wasted and racks up huge numbers thats all imo

still a good consistent player of course,

I think in the past his vision of the play was often far greater than his ability to execute, but he's just about closed that gap. Totally agree he plays every moment like he's playing for his career. Won that game against Essendon with his Goddard smother.

Some of our forward rate poorly for goal assists. OK, that's not a big thing but it is a good indicator overall of a successful forward line. It shows how the goals are being shared around. Tom Hawkins leads the comp in goal assists and Geelong lead the teams followed by GWS. Interestingly Blues and Suns have the fewest goal assists. I read that the secret to Geelong's effective forward line is sharing the ball between them, which they did that back in their glory days of 07,09,11.

Paps' average is 0.75/game, as is Bud's. Blakey averages 0.55
Reid averages just 0.25/game, as does Hayward. McCartin averages a miserly 0.10 per game.
Buddy had 2 against West Coast. Papley also. He has a total of 9 but we've lost 7 games where he had none.

By contrast 7 of Geelong's forwards and midfield/forwards have more goal assists than any Swan.

All of our forwards could share more.

The most pleasing thing about this season is Aliir and Dawson. We collectively knew they’d make it with enough opportunity and they’ve grown so much as senior players this year.

Dawson was coming from further back having played less games but AA had a roller coaster season last year but looks so settled now. Someone said before that the commentators were becoming bored with AA and that means he’s just a very good consistent performer now.

Dawson is helping George soften the transition of the new midfield brigade and it’s great to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of our forward rate poorly for goal assists. OK, that's not a big thing but it is a good indicator overall of a successful forward line. It shows how the goals are being shared around. Tom Hawkins leads the comp in goal assists and Geelong lead the teams followed by GWS. Interestingly Blues and Suns have the fewest goal assists. I read that the secret to Geelong's effective forward line is sharing the ball between them, which they did that back in their glory days of 07,09,11.

Paps' average is 0.75/game, as is Bud's. Blakey averages 0.55
Reid averages just 0.25/game, as does Hayward. McCartin averages a miserly 0.10 per game.
Buddy had 2 against West Coast. Papley also. He has a total of 9 but we've lost 7 games where he had none.

By contrast 7 of Geelong's forwards and midfield/forwards have more goal assists than any Swan.

All of our forwards could share more.
I'm not really surprised at those stats considering how many inside 50s we have compared to other teams. We get smashed in that stat pretty much every week. Also, we've struggled to score many goals at all, so goal assists are gonna be pretty hard to come by. It's definitely something that supports our forward line being much more structured and functional against WC.

Just a small point. On the weekend we has 8 players who would be considered best 25 out by the end of the game. Eagles had 4. Just saying

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah but counter to that I don't really think the Eagles brought their best. It was a bit of a reward and counter balance to some less "lucky" results against Geelong and maybe Adelaide earlier this year. I think we were exceptional, but there is always perspective to be applied.

The TEAM would have had more goals both on the weekend and in many other games this year if Papley didn't continue to burn his team mates by going for goals he doesn't even have the capacity to score while there are spare players open in a better position. Ronke suffers from the same selfishness. It wouldn't have been tolerated from Mitch Morton so why do they cop it now?

The TEAM would have had more goals both on the weekend and in many other games this year if Papley didn't continue to burn his team mates by going for goals he doesn't even have the capacity to score while there are spare players open in a better position. Ronke suffers from the same selfishness. It wouldn't have been tolerated from Mitch Morton so why do they cop it now?
It doesn't happen so it's not a worry , obviously never played as a forward , or maybe anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back