Autopsy Swans vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't take bungee seriously

The bird episode lost me

What happens when you don't know much about the game

Spot on

Only positive of going 0-22 would be to see the ridiculous spin he would come up with :p

I think the rule changes are the biggest issue we have.

This is the single most important factor in all this. The AFL has changed the rules after the season has begun and effectively made our players semi redundant.

Horse can create a new gameplan, but which player do we create this game plan around? Our mids are grunt players and not elite pacers. Our game plan was based around Kennedy but now it needs to be based around endurance runners.

And even if Horse did change the game plan it will still need the players to execute it flawlessly and that doesnt occur in a few games. So instead of a 2 goal loss we will face a 10 goal loss..and i can just imagine the hawk fans here performing mental gymnastics.

If you want to direct your anger at why we are 0-4 blame the league. All of this is the AFL doing.

But lets call for the sacking of a brilliant coach. Then we can bring in all new personal and be in even bigger trouble when players confidence are shot. Way to destabilize a great culture guuuyths.

Last edited:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...t/news-story/95e4c38203599bac422fa3d4b9f7b657
The article here in case blocked
Don’t write off Hawks and Swans just yet
By Patrick Smith

See, here is the thing about Sydney and Hawthorn. The two clubs know Australian Rules better than just about every other side; that’s every trick and treat of the AFL competition.
The last time both teams missed the finals was back in 2009. The Hawks had won the premiership the previous year and thought themselves quite fantastic a season later. They found out how debilitating playing 22 rounds of the leaping, flying, jumping game can be with heads the size of Uluru.
The 2009 season was coach Alastair Clarkson’s fifth year in the job after taking over a club that was not long finished with the lingering ramifications of being an AFL merger target. The premiership in 2008 was something of a shock. Geelong, who had lost just one match coming into the grand final, were inaccurate and out-coached to lose by 27 points.
Sydney had finished sixth in 2008, the second last year of Paul Roos’s term as coach. Roos, appointed fulltime coach in 2003 had taken the Swans to a premiership in 2005, Clarkson’s first year as coach of Hawthorn. Roos handed over the coaching responsibilities to John Longmire after the 2010 season when the premiership coach returned Sydney back into the finals in fifth spot.
From there the two clubs would win four premierships between them (Hawthorn three in a row from 2013) after Sydney beat the Hawks by 10 points for the 2012 cup.
Away from the football fields both clubs had built a level of expertise in rounded management, player and executive development, talent identification and an understanding of draft and trade equalled by few clubs — if any.
There was that jealous belief that whatever happened to players, coaches, officials or executive staff, both the clubs could just roll in another equally capable replacement.
Which brings us to round four of the AFL season, sprinkled over Easter, but including Good Friday for the first time. Church leaders have challenged and criticised the decision as well as members of the public alerting the league to their disappointment.
On Good Friday eve Sydney, last year’s losing grand finalist, suffered their fourth loss in a row. Hawthorn, too, are yet to win a match and play undefeated Geelong on Monday. A combined seven games by Hawthorn and Sydney in 2017 and not one win. Has the system finally overpowered them? The rest of the competition caught up?
The tentative answer is no. A little more time is required for a sensible response. Sydney have easy explanations for their plight. Injuries. They have had hurt players by the fistful and replaced them with footballers who have played but a handful of games.
The 26-point loss on Thursday night at Subiaco was admirable in the ferocity both the Swans and the Eagles attacked the ball. An early knock to Lance Franklin left him with a bruised thigh that restricted his running power. He still kicked two goals. The Swans got to within six points early in the last quarter but could not sustain their energy.
As close as the Swans got they are still winless after four rounds, their worst start to a season since 1993, a year in which they won just a single game and unsurprisingly finished last.
Longmire offered no excuses for a team that has been unsurprisingly competitive considering its personnel problems. “Zero and four; it’s not a great spot to sit but it is what it is and we need to play better and more consistently,” Longmire said.
“There is not an area of our game that we’re completely happy with, clearly, as the scoreboard indicates. We need to get better,” he said.
Hawthorn are a more delicate proposition. Clarkson’s coaching is the best in the league. Silly to argue otherwise when he won four premierships in the eight years between 2008 and 2015.
But he made brave — crazy? — list changes when he effectively pushed champions Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis out of the club at the end of last season when the pair had quinellaed the club best and fairest. They remain a mature team — and slow. The team have only messed up badly once in the first three rounds but what a chastening experience that was — an 86-point loss to Gold Coast.
Such is Hawthorn’s unexpected and unusual plight, speculation about Clarkson’s future mounts. It is very odd that a man with such credentials is being questioned.
Former Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams has called on Clarkson to quit the Hawks. He wrote in his newspaper column yesterday: “Hey Clarko … The time has come for you to leave Hawthorn. Not right now but really soon.”
What would annoy Clarkson most about the column is the belief by Williams that the four-time premiership coach cannot improve Hawthorn.
The question is not whether Clarkson should stay but rather whether he has got the transition from the triple premiership list to 2017 and beyond exactly right. It is too early to say for there will be more changes at the end of the year when grand players like Luke Hodge, Shaun Burgoyne and Josh Gibson must assess their future.
Clarkson should be more worried by an exodus in administration. He has lost a president, chief executive officer and football general manager in the space of eight months. These are critical positions in maintaining club culture.
It is not a weakness in rebuilding. It is a serious error to not see that it is required. Clarkson has acted vigorously. He has backed himself that his regeneration will work. But as the administration dithers over its own rebuild the whole club is vulnerable.
Geelong won three premierships between 2007 and 2011. They remained competitive until 2014, losing the second semi-final to North Melbourne by six points. The list remaking was felt most in 2015 when the club slumped to 10th. Unbeaten this year they await Hawthorn on Monday. It will be a significant examination of two clubs who won seven premierships between them from 2007 through to 2015.

Okay, read to page 13 but have given up...

So we lost four on the trot... I'll agree it's tragic when the count gets up into the teens... think early 90s!

I think the rule changes are the biggest issue we have. We prided ourselves on our tackling skills, being first to the contested ball, breaking tackles, and now these are not only the best tactics, but are likely to cause a penalty against us. You could see it coming at the end of last year. All of our players now need to take the time to think, rather than play instinctively and it's messing with their heads! All across the ground, but most noticeably in defence and the mids, our whole team is learning to put into practice a new way of playing the ball and tackling.

The AFL changes the rules to grow the game and also specifically to cause a changing of the guard. All hail equalisation!

Our experienced players aren't playing well, added to this, we have a number of injuries and are playing a whole bunch of youngsters... we really are doing okay.

We have a great team, a great club and a pretty good coach! Give them a little time and they will get it all together. Dropping players, sacking coaches, these are all huge overreactions imo, to a bump in the road! Hang in for a bit...

agreed. even though the club was losing in the early 90s and only 5k of us were turning up, it was partly enjoyable because it was 5k of folk who really got behind the team. some supporters at the mo have been spoilt and had it too good for too long and don't really know how to deal with the s**t times.

granted, it is frustrating watching our senior players go missing early this season. next week against the giants will be testing again. top 4 and challenging for the premiership is probably beyond the realms if the team goes 0-5, but I still reckon the team will be a thorn in the side of some of the top teams as the season progresses, and they will make a run for the 8 once horse has a full deck to pick from again.

Are the hawk fans still campaigning for Horse to be sacked?
I for one don't want him sacked.

I want him to improve and adapt.

You are creating strawmen and then flailing away at them. No one has any idea how much, if at all, we would be beaten by if there was a change in tactics. You have insulted me for daring to question the box, because armchair expert and 2012 apparently, and then immediately offer your own insight as a given fact.

Can you recognize your own arrogance? Or not.

Appeals to authority, such is your argument, are intellectually moribund. He has lost the last 5 on the trot. Has not beat the braves or orange people for ages. Clarkson has owned him since 2012 and nafan out coaches him.

If for no other reason under God's sun he should adapt just a tad, a damn smidgen, not to be out done by nafan. FML.....Nafan out thinks him.

I feel so sorry for Buddy. And JPK.

Neil Cordy has hinted that up to 5 Swans are to return for the Giants clash.

How about this forward line providing it can get some decent supply.

HF Papley, Reid, Haywood
FF Franklin, Heeney, Rohan

Or put Jack at FF and Heeney in the middle? i think i like that setup.

Neil Cordy has hinted that up to 5 Swans are to return for the Giants clash.

How about this forward line providing it can get some decent supply.

HF Papley, Reid, Haywood
FF Franklin, Heeney, Rohan

Or put Jack at FF and Heeney in the middle? i think i like that setup.

Delicious.

Now if three of them stay fwd we might kick a score.

The ability of the umpires to not recognize incorrect disposal against us and yet penalise us for the same is lamentable. But as you say if this means that thwe guard will change then that is ok I suppose. The AFL will feel good even though they have cheated. Thier betting sponsor will feel good because all the money on the Swans for the premiership would be forfeit by the poor punters. But most of all the AFL 'Love Child', GWS, will become the premium team in Sydney. After all the AFL owns GWS. It can control the club how it likes. Nobody at GWS or Suns can say anything against the AFL without being sacked. but Sydney Swans are different and Gillon McLachlan doesn't like us questioning his power. Typical of a psychopathic campaigner.
Regardless of what happens this season, GWS will not become the premium team in Sydney! Are you thinking our members are so fickle?

This is the single most important factor in all this. The AFL has changed the rules after the season has begun and effectively made our players semi redundant.

Horse can create a new gameplan, but which player do we create this game plan around? Our mids are grunt players and not elite pacers. Our game plan was based around Kennedy but now it needs to be based around endurance runners.

And even if Horse did change the game plan it will still need the players to execute it flawlessly and that doesnt occur in a few games. So instead of a 2 goal loss we will face a 10 goal loss..and i can just imagine the hawk fans here performing mental gymnastics.

If you want to direct your anger at why we are 0-4 blame the league. All of this is the AFL doing.

But lets call for the sacking of a brilliant coach. Then we can bring in all new personal and be in even bigger trouble when players confidence are shot. Way to destabilize a great culture guuuyths.

Brilliant? Lol

Blue sky view:

One way to look at it is we're 2 games behind where we 'should' be. Get our first choice players back and set about winning the games we thought we could win preseason and snag 2 games we absolutely shouldn't expect to win and we'll still play a role.

Question is will we tank, fight on and form the 8, or will we be a part of the 8.

Pessimistic view:

0-4 indicates we may only win 8 or fewer games this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewatched and read the thread

We are the best 0-4 side of all time fantastic planning by horse to appear rubbish, will catch them by surprise

Well Port are better than first predicted, Bulldogs and Eagles are flag contenders too, and Pies will be frisky every now and then. Not surprising we lose all 4 games with an injury depleted team. Collingwood was the one that got away.

Blue sky view:

One way to look at it is we're 2 games behind where we 'should' be. Get our first choice players back and set about winning the games we thought we could win preseason and snag 2 games we absolutely shouldn't expect to win and we'll still play a role.

Question is will we tank, fight on and form the 8, or will we be a part of the 8.

Pessimistic view:

0-4 indicates we may only win 8 or fewer games this year.
We should win 5 of our next 6, we have some garbage opposition coming up. That puts us 5-6 at the halfway point of the season.

I expect that the comments of us missing finals are wrong, but the comments about us only losing due to injuries or AFL conspiracies are equally wrong.

We should win 5 of our next 6, we have some garbage opposition coming up. That puts us 5-6 at the halfway point of the season.

I expect that the comments of us missing finals are wrong, but the comments about us only losing due to injuries or AFL conspiracies are equally wrong.

Blaming injuries is just a salve. It achieves nothing. Either your complete list performs (including those filling gaps due to injuries ) or it doesn't.

It all falls back to the talent of the list, the competence of the coaching and support staff, the morale of the group, and the professionalism and financial resources of the club in general.

I'd say on most scores we have little to worry about for now.

I can't take bungee seriously

The bird episode lost me
Your words Punts. Blaming Buddy's performance on Horse is a joke. I'm surprised you can take yourself seriously. Face it mate. Your hero Clarkson has lost the plot. Is that Horse's fault too ?

How's your maths?

Just ignore them blacky!
By the time they are finished with dismantling our list, they'll have gone full circle some how made some room in the team for Towers again!
The darkest timeline

Sorry can't take you seriously

Go bird but

Hey playing tonight , oh yer

I don't give a flying funk about petty personal attacks from punts like you. I've never taken you seriously (or any other small-minded twats who get their kicks out of bagging genuine Swans fans and shitting all over this board)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back