Autopsy Swans vs Freo Rd 9 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

While we’re busy signing 27-year old Hannebery’s retirement papers and concluding that Lloyd’s 40 possession game was s**t, it’s gone unnoticed (as usual) that Rohan did **** all. Once again. I’m lenient on him because his pressure can be elite and he’s capable of anything. But being good for a run-down tackle a game mixed in with a solid overhead mark and maybe a goal is still not enough to get out of the ‘**** all’ category. Third week in a row of getting under 10 possessions and no goals.

I love him but if we’re serious about contending for a flag he cannot be getting games right now.
Seem to remember him being absolutely pivotal to our win last week. I thought he contributed all game.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seem to remember him being absolutely pivotal to our win last week. I thought he contributed all game.

But not enough. The things he does stand out because he'll lay a lightning quick tackle, or take a really clever mark (which is the pivotal moment from last week). But as a whole he is a passenger more often than not. It'll be interesting this week what Horse does if he wants to bring in say Towers. Rohan was far and away our worst player against Fremantle. That's not to say he was awful, he just was easily #22. How Horse would justify dropping anyone else over him would be very intriguing to me

One thing that hasn't been fully acknowledged on here .... we have a new game plan!!

The Swans no longer hack it out of the middle and bomb it forward. We are all about short tactical kicks and keeping the ball in hand.
...until we get pressured by a decent team and start bombing it out of our D50

OK I will rise to the bait. The Club clearly rated his 2017 season judging from the B&F. We struggled when he was injured early in one game. I think his game last week was instrumental to our win. I agree he is not as creative in disposal as Macca, but few are. He is however a useful disposer of the ball and provides much needed run.
He was great against the hawks. Let’s hope he doesn’t have crap games like this too often. With Rohan I think it is more of a matter of consistency

But not enough. The things he does stand out because he'll lay a lightning quick tackle, or take a really clever mark (which is the pivotal moment from last week). But as a whole he is a passenger more often than not. It'll be interesting this week what Horse does if he wants to bring in say Towers. Rohan was far and away our worst player against Fremantle. That's not to say he was awful, he just was easily #22. How Horse would justify dropping anyone else over him would be very intriguing to me
I just think he is being asked to be put first defender playing in a role where the ball comes least. He does a lot of work that doesn't show on the stats sheet, and the coach and the other players love him. He puts pressure on that very few players have the physical ability to put on. I'd love to see him take more marks and score more goals, but I think he is doing the job he is in the team to do pretty well.

I was discussing this with a friend today and was trying to find a suitable comparison player. I thought Jimmy Bartel however is that too big an expectation for Hayward? Who would others compare his style to at this stage of his career?
Gunston

I just think he is being asked to be put first defender playing in a role where the ball comes least. He does a lot of work that doesn't show on the stats sheet, and the coach and the other players love him. He puts pressure on that very few players have the physical ability to put on. I'd love to see him take more marks and score more goals, but I think he is doing the job he is in the team to do pretty well.

If he's performing at the level expected of him, that's fine. The coaches and players obviously see something we don't. But again I ask, if somebody has to come in, how can they justify dumping anyone else over Rohan? He just seems to have this immunity. Baffling decisions are made, like Towers being dropped late in 2016 when he was getting some confidence (or again him being dropped this week), Aliir being dropped last year, and the most notable ROK (wasn't baffling so much as bold).. yet Rohan has never been dropped. It's just ridiculous and I'd find it easier to tolerate Rohan's output if he was treated as the depth player he should be rather than the best 22 lock he is.

Guess again, did you see Hayward charge through the middle at the centre bounces last night? Looks like a player who could easily use his attributes on the ball. This is why I say he could be anything. With his goal-kicking/goal-sense, strong marking, pressure acts and bursts of pace, he may actually be another Goodes for us. In that you can give him license to roam the ground and make plays happen as he sees fit. That's an invaluable luxury that is so so so rare in footy

It appears that those that run the football club disagree with your opinion Wolfy!
He always takes a few games to get his feet Mick. I'd rather he his feet in the reserves rather than taking uo space in the seniors, getting the shits and giving 50 metre penalties away.

What makes Hannas any better than Jared McVeigh, Keiren Jack, Sam Naismith (last year came back through reserves). I have never believed in players being a lay down misere to play seniors unless they are Buddy and if he had more than five games out he should play reserves to get match fitness too.

He always takes a few games to get his feet Mick. I'd rather he his feet in the reserves rather than taking uo space in the seniors, getting the shits and giving 50 metre penalties away.

What makes Hannas any better than Jared McVeigh, Keiren Jack, Sam Naismith (last year came back through reserves). I have never believed in players being a lay down misere to play seniors unless they are Buddy and if he had more than five games out he should play reserves to get match fitness too.

Anyone can give away 50’s, it’s not a prerequisite to game time in the AFL if you avoid giving them.

I’m all for players coming back via the 2’s myself but the fact he travelled to Melbourne last week indicated that he’s fitter than you think. He would’ve had the training to support his inclusion and his worst is better than the alternatives best. He got through, unscathed, very serviceable and I’m sure that’s all that mattered to the club!

Last edited:
If he's performing at the level expected of him, that's fine. The coaches and players obviously see something we don't. But again I ask, if somebody has to come in, how can they justify dumping anyone else over Rohan? He just seems to have this immunity. Baffling decisions are made, like Towers being dropped late in 2016 when he was getting some confidence (or again him being dropped this week), Aliir being dropped last year, and the most notable ROK (wasn't baffling so much as bold).. yet Rohan has never been dropped. It's just ridiculous and I'd find it easier to tolerate Rohan's output if he was treated as the depth player he should be rather than the best 22 lock he is.
I mean, because players are selected for roles, not just the best 22 players. And our coaches think rohan plays a role that no one else can do to the same level.

Robinson of fox may get more of it (though I doubt they would if playing rohan role) but they just aren't physically capable of the pressure that rohan is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, because players are selected for roles, not just the best 22 players. And our coaches think rohan plays a role that no one else can do to the same level.

Robinson of fox may get more of it (though I doubt they would if playing rohan role) but they just aren't physically capable of the pressure that rohan is.

We'll have to disagree because I think Fox's pressure was as good as Rohan's, plus his output was better before he was dropped. As I've said it looks like Rohan is applying a whole lot of pressure because the things he does stand out, but they are very few and far between. But we all see things differently

We'll have to disagree because I think Fox's pressure was as good as Rohan's, plus his output was better before he was dropped. As I've said it looks like Rohan is applying a whole lot of pressure because the things he does stand out, but they are very few and far between. But we all see things differently
They had different roles. Rohan plays the furthest forward when we move into defensive shape and often covers 30 or 40 metres to pressure a kick etc. There is just no one else as fast as him who can be that furthest forward defender the same way.

I dont often critique bud but i thought his game was average to poor. I understand it was after injury but it was only 3 weeks, ive never seen him kick so popr before. There was one play where he kicked it along the ground twice in about 30 seconds. Despite not kicking well he was still screaming for every ball and trying to get the hand off. Still got his 3 goals and he will be better for the run, just wasnt the best game from the big fella

I disagree Cindy...his kicking skills have been putrid from day one! That doesn’t mean he’s not a star (Andrew Dunkley ring a bell) and I think you’ll be rapt once he gets that all important fitness back. OP is a bitch but he’s only 27 and it will clear up.

Hope you are right Mick because if he could get back to his best with both his outside running endurance and his inside grunt, believe it or not it could just be the thing that takes us to this years flag. There are very few players among the contending teams that have a player with those attributes combined with his work ethic and courage that could be the difference. This bloody debilitating injury has stopped 18 year old future guns in their tracks to the point of retirement. Without giving away my age I played with a bloke back at Port Melbourne many years ago that was finished by the time he was nineteen through what was believed to be bad groins. A former Brownlow Medallist seen this kid play at 16 and said he would not only play league footy he would win a Brownlow. Obviously back then nobody had ever heard or knew anything of OP not even the quacks. Players who are riddled with Chronic soft tissue injuries having nothing on this.

Grundys 4th game in a row of 20 touches or more. Now averaging same disposals as 2015, 1 more mark and 1 more rebound.

Hannebery got his 22 touches from only 67% of available game time.

Grundy having another vital season while barely registering a comment.

Sinkers and Reg have heen critically important for us this year. Both delivering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back