Autopsy Swans Vs Geelong Rnd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Jmac on the outside is what we needed , bonus he can push forward and kick a goal

One that I was pretty buoyant about early (as were you) and am glad he is becoming the player I thought he might!
Had all the signs and was obvious he was better than the likes of Stoddart.

Will become one of my favourite players.

Just checked the stats to confirm I wasn't dreaming... 27 disposals at 96% efficiency with 1 clanger. I get that his kicks lack penetration but fu** me Lloyd's been underrated this season.
Garbage stats mean * all

I thought it was Lloyds' poorest performance of the year. He was slow in reaction and skill execution not on. Thought Hayward was iffy as well and was not keen on Melican today.

Most of the others all did well, bit disappointed for Bell, he started well and looked like we were going to get an actual look at what he might bring. Rowbottom very good, McInerny awesome, Stephens got the pill and used is well enough, JPK and Parker both solid. McCartin really good and has a bit of mongrel in him that you see from time to time. Being the youngest in the draft year has meant even more upside for Tom as he continually develops.

Looking at our game, it seems communication throughout is a bit of an issue. So many times multiple swans go the same ball, twice players run down from behind, is anyone talking? As we improve, we will see less of passages of play where we are pushing forward then one bad hanball or decision taking that extra step will disappear and we can turn those opportunities into points.

Lets not forget who was missing today as well.

I hope this is a good springboard into next season.
Melican was great, like really great.

Decent result in the end - only saw the second half, but exciting to build off that for next year.

All in all, I think the hubs will only serve us well in the long run. The connections made for a young group should pay back in spades in future - relationships between the players, the couch etc. Will also have to help re-sign a lot of young talent too you’d have to think

The corridor game has legs for us. We opened them up multiple times... just some pretty shocking kicks into our 50 let us down, but I like what I see.

Stephens has that pendlebury like amble, but just seems to be lacking a bit of game awareness right now..Will come with experience but hoping he really develops as has the frame to be a gun. Although his lack of speed does worry me a bit

Mccartin is just such a solid defender. He is an infinitely better defender than he was forward, I hope we stick with that, might even free up rampe to run next year.

Love mcinerny and what he brings. Really good user of the footy, good energy, tough

As much as I don’t like him, Dangerfield is a gun. Clarke did a great job on him but when he went forward he Changed the game and won it for geelong

Live, where Lloyd sh*t the bed all day. Watch the game again and watch him, Geelong players run through him like paper, can lay a tackle to. He can have 30 disposals and actually fu** up the game plan.
Wasn't great defensively I agree. He used the ball pretty well though.

Thurlow needs more love here, the issue is we have some very similar players in size, strengths so may be bottom pecking order.

Last edited:
Definitely has a touch of class and can lay a tackle. Maybe doesn't quite have the pace to be a top player but we'll see. I'll be surprised if he's not at least best 22 for many years.

He was in the top 10 for 20 metre sprint at the combine 2.97 sec so has plenty of speed. Just needs to build confidence to use it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garbage stats mean fu** all
I disagree. Having a player as reliable as Lloyd is massively important. He doesn't put pressure on other players and provides others with a safe option coming off our goal line.

I don't quite understand what more people want from him. Not every half back needs to take 3 bounces and bomb away inside 50.

The fact that his teammates rate him so highly tells you everything you need to know.

I disagree. Having a player as reliable as Lloyd is massively important. He doesn't put pressure on other players and provides others with a safe option coming off our goal line.

I don't quite understand what more people want from him. Not every half back needs to take 3 bounces and bomb away inside 50.

The fact that his teammates rate him so highly tells you everything you need to know.
In a team, where even our best routinely go missing and have sub 20 disposal games his ability to get involved and find the ball is hugely underrated.

What ever, I'd prefer Dawson hitting me with a dart like laser unopposed instead of a floating kick that takes an eternity getting my right ear smashed in because the defender now has the time to spoil. Mills, Rampe, Dawson, even Blakey yes, Lloyd, no.

Positives

* McInerney - Kid can play
* Stephens - caught by pace of the game a few times but can play
* Players seemed devastated by loss - as they shd be
* Preparedness to attack
* Sinkers was good tho not up against much - ran out of puff
* Good games from Dawson, Mills and Paps (kicking aside)
* Allir was bog early on.

Negatives

* We lost a totally winnable game.
* Blakey is frustrating as hell
* Dangerfield is a damn fine player but was allowed too much room
* Haywood has regressed - should trade if we get a decent offer
* Reid was poor - I have joined the move him on Club
* Despite burning my retinas I still have that image of Clarke with time to size his options booting a crucial I50 to a nest of Cat defenders.

Will win the Skilton

I've been a Reid supporter as most would know. His done his best this year obviously under duress, ie there's no alternative. His body looks shot as WW has stated, can't get below his knees, ground all stuff and missing grabs that he shouldn't or didn't. Dont think with the limitations he can play elsewhere more effectively.

What ever, I'd prefer Dawson hitting me with a dart like laser unopposed instead of a floating kick that takes an eternity getting my right ear smashed in because the defender now has the time to spoil. Mills, Rampe, Dawson, even Blakey yes, Lloyd, no.
Ok I get it, but you're comparing him to just about the 4 best field kicks in our side. It would also be great if he could tackle like Heeney, win a clearance like JPK and dob one from 60 like Buddy!

Ok I get it, but you're comparing him to just about the 4 best field kicks in our side. It would also be great if he could tackle like Heeney, win a clearance like JPK and dob one from 60 like Buddy!
So whats he there for. Disagree sure. Watch the replay and keep an eye on Lloyd, I'm not going him for no reason ashep, seriously watch him and get back to me, pm if you like. It's s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back