Autopsy Swans Vs Geelong Rnd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pumped for next year with the way the team's been playing over the last 6 weeks.

Horse gets the best mark from me he's ever gotten for the year.
McInerney, Melican and McCartin the big positives over the home stretch of the season.
Dawson and Parker also really came home well.
Rowbottom the stand out - early to middle part of year.
Papley huge early on in the year. Battled on with positive energy all the way despite never getting it quite together like early on.
Mills was rock solid throughout.
Fox surprised many (not me) by finding a good role in the team.
Ditto Clarke
Thurlow impressed over the back end of the season to prove himself.
Hayward - didn't show much up forward when we were undermanned but showed a bit down back and on a wing to suggest he can contribute well. Will be even better if he starts kicking them again.
Lloyd, Cunningham, Sinkers - did what they do - met expectations.

Reid was a little dissapointing on return - but also suffered at times through poor delivery and a poor set up.
Ollie - did not improveJ
Stephens - showed he could be a solid contributor in years to come if he keeps at it.

Big decision on the draft. One of the highly regarded mids, or go a KPF given Campbell and Gulden likely coming in.
Or does having 3 mean we are more likely to split it or trade it for a gun?

It really is strange to say this when coming 3rd last but a positive year for the Swans.
Future is looking bright.

The mix between the corridor and down the line, then looking inward front or further down the line is the next step for us tactically. Geelong took till the 3rd to shut us down through the middle, we adjusted but couldn't quite get it right. couldn't quite take that wing mark that then sets up the next and our skills just aren't there resulting in turnovers. It's a bees dick, another year of development and 5 of our best not out there that takes it up to finishing teams like the Cats today.

mcartin smashed hawkins

rowbottom and j mac my favourite young mids

dawson was good

look id rather win, but cant fault the effort all things considered

i think kennedy is still important to us

my main gripe- papley kick a drop,punt

100 percent he is but not at centre bounce where the opposition ruckman has the upper hand.

Really? I thought Stephens had two howlers, but he also linked up a fair few plays out of the back and won a few balls around the ground that reminded us (or me, at least) that one of the wraps on him at draft time was that he could play inside and out.
Missed a ton of targets and looked slow

Missed a ton of targets and looked slow
Noticeable in the last when we had a chance, run out of gas I hope, earlier hit targets well.

I look at it this way

- We played absolutely well enough to win against a top 4 team.
- Couldn't be accused of tanking. Played with absolute hunger just falling short
- Played fast, exciting football with good use of the corridor and our wingers.
- Should have had the game won in the second quarter but some unforgivable finishes from Papley denied us that chance
- Played one man down pretty much all game and managed to run the game out well despite being so young.
- Gave the likes of Stephens and Mcinerney a lot of confidence for next year with decent games today
- Gave Aliir some even more versatility with his new hybrid Forward/Ruck role which seemed to work well.

Oh and these ones as well.

- Gave Eagles and especially Hawks fans false hope today which I took great joy in.
- Papley should have had a push in the back set shot after a blatant push. Yes he fell forward a bit easily but I saw the irony of Clarkos comments on paps biting him in the arse there. Add to that Papleys horrid dribble kick at goal would have most likely won us the match. A double * you to Clarko.
- Top 3 pick and Campbell will be invaluable for us

It is what it is, but I'm not too unhappy.

Bring on 2021

Smartarse crap again, boys club this place, get a room. Wonder why good posters disappear from here.
Smartarse crap again, boys club this place, get a room. Wonder why good posters disappear from here.
Well said. Brother do lounge chair critics love their name in lights here. Year after year there are whipping boys , mostly because it is amateurs doing the posting.
Remember Jack for years, Robinson continually and now Florent .Go and have a look back at a few games and see how often that Florent is right there with heaps of pressure to put us back in possession.
There is the elite kicks like Liam Ryan that few can duplicate. I can be the best sitting in my lounge chair too. Grow up, contemplate why you are not and have never been in the same pressure cooker contest.
That said I have been very impressed with the effort that Thurslow has shown since he got back. Love his pressure in and around the contest.

Well said. Brother do lounge chair critics love their name in lights here. Year after year there are whipping boys , mostly because it is amateurs doing the posting.
Remember Jack for years, Robinson continually and now Florent .Go and have a look back at a few games and see how often that Florent is right there with heaps of pressure to put us back in possession.
There is the elite kicks like Liam Ryan that few can duplicate. I can be the best sitting in my lounge chair too. Grow up, contemplate why you are not and have never been in the same pressure cooker contest.
That said I have been very impressed with the effort that Thurslow has shown since he got back. Love his pressure in and around the contest.
Thurlow deserves some love, agree. Florent when JPK was out and Parker moved forward, was the main man, hence got more attention from the opposition. Then Rowbottom gets some touches, and then gets more attention. Time will tell.

Today Papley is the go to villain of the day. All the crap after the brilliant explanation of his situation last year and his now refreshing honesty about it all.
The same guy who has lifted well above others to lead from sparkling examples of full on focus to inspire his team mates from the start of the season.
The same honesty about his gratitude that Horse had to lead him through his personal battles. Bet his grandfathers would be mystified by the blame game of today. Just a footy game after all and again his efforts to have seven shots is enough to reinforce his super efforts of today,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good game. Super proud of the Swans this year. We lost a spot on the ladder but in reality finished the season off playing like a 9-12th placed side which is great considering the injuries.

Every one of the 22 that turned up today I'd be happy with staying on the list for 2021, and not many 16th placed sides have ever said that.

For development. We need one more elite kid that's ready made for AFL footy at the draft next year, and a quality ruckman. Otherwise we just need Dawson, Hayward, Florent, Melican, Aliir, and Hewett to take the next step and take on more of the workload from our A-graders

What a silly statement, 460 meters gained ( highest swan). Of his 27 disposals only 1 was considered ineffective. We will take if of your hands at the bombers if you don’t respect him. May well be all Australian and your b And f winner but still you give him no credit.
Daniher, a first, and Mcgrath thanks.

I was really happy with that game even if I'd have liked a win. We matched a top 4 team with the highest percentage in the league who were desperately playing for the top 4 2nd chance. They're big bodies, more experienced and being older they have a lot more stamina. We were spent in the last quarter but we still fought down to the dying seconds. So many what-ifs or 50:50 decisions. We had our chances to win outright or draw.

Hayward or Papley run into an open goal and kick it, we win.
Papley kicks a few more straight we win
Rowbottom kicks that last one we draw
A few easy marks inside 50 marked instead of dropped we win
Bell stays on the field, we probably win

Positives were all over the show

Stephens played well even as he got schooled by two multiple Brownlow medallists. He'll learn from that. As will Robbie Fox, Melican and McCartin who battled in defence against a Coleman medallist and a dual Brownlow medallist.
Most improved would have to be Rowbottom, McInerney and Dawson, who both stepped up again from last year. Clarke has also stepped up.
Add another preseason to the younger guys and many will improve out of sight
Add Rampe, Hewett, Buddy, Heeney and a dominant ruck
Pressure is mounting on spots and depth is increasing. We still have guys like Gould to debut plus another low draft pick to come.
Aliir shows real promise as a forward where he doesn't have to be as accountable. I'd swap him and McCartin permanently. Having just the one tall for periods hurt us with Reid and even Papley often double teamed under a high ball. Our delivery forward and forward line have huge scope for improvement.
Our forward entries could be ENORMOUSLY improved upon, made worse by tired legs
Early on we were winning the clearances against a very talented midfield.
The game plan is fast, exciting and only lacking polish, belief and stamina

I could go on but fair to say the future looks really good. Well done Horse & team for turning the ship around and setting us back on course.

Plenty of positives out of this game.

McCartin kept Hawkins quiet for almost the whole game. He got outmarked in the first one-on-one contest between the two, but after that he shut him down.
Stephens' best game for the club. Wasn't the first and won't be the last to be outsmarted by Ablett or rundown by Dangerfield. His linkup work and run for a first year player is quality.
McInerney continues to go from strength to strength. If he can develop into a high teens disposal winner with a goal a game, that'll be bloody great. Hard to believe he's come so far in 18 months.
Papley was back to his best. Plenty of shots on goal and on another day, he kicked 5.2 or 6.1.
Kennedy and Parker were huge in the middle. JPK still has plenty left to give.
I thought Florent was pretty good! Ran to the right spots at the right times and led us in marks.
Dawson is just fun to watch. At times it looks like he is in slow motion.

If we get Rampe, Franklin, Campbell and another quality mid at pick 3 delivering quality ball into a forward line with Heeney, Papley, Reid etc we will be a far better team next season.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

This struck a chord with me. Rhys-Jones used to possess that same strange quality (Diesel too). I think it comes from having a high footy IQ, understanding the play including taking that split second necessary to make a wise decision. Way, way short of both of course but the signs remain positive.

Thought he was terrific yesterday, though I reckon his timing was slightly off after the head knock with Bell.

Plenty of positives out of this game.

McCartin kept Hawkins quiet for almost the whole game. He got outmarked in the first one-on-one contest between the two, but after that he shut him down.
Stephens' best game for the club. Wasn't the first and won't be the last to be outsmarted by Ablett or rundown by Dangerfield. His linkup work and run for a first year player is quality.
McInerney continues to go from strength to strength. If he can develop into a high teens disposal winner with a goal a game, that'll be bloody great. Hard to believe he's come so far in 18 months.
Papley was back to his best. Plenty of shots on goal and on another day, he kicked 5.2 or 6.1.
Kennedy and Parker were huge in the middle. JPK still has plenty left to give.
I thought Florent was pretty good! Ran to the right spots at the right times and led us in marks.
Not a bad synopsis.. Agree on Stephens, don't know what game his naysayers on here were watching.

I wouldn't have him even in the AA squad of 40 but he's comfortably top 5 in our B and F

I think he's absolutely deserving of being in the squad of 40 this year. I don't think he'll make the 22, but he's had a really good year. Favourite for the Skilton imo without Rampe.

Dangerfield in the fourth quarter gave a lesson in how to lead, and the Geelong mids gave a lesson in how to kick to the lead.
Our leads are too short, 5-10 meters instead of 20-25.
Too often our kicks to the leading player have been too high, or not sufficiently far in front to allow the leading player to run onto it.
There was nothing Melican could do.

Dangerfield in the fourth quarter gave a lesson in how to lead, and the Geelong mids gave a lesson in how to kick to the lead.
Our leads are too short, 5-10 meters instead of 20-25.
Too often our kicks to the leading player have been too high, or not sufficiently far in front to allow the leading player to run onto it.
There was nothing Melican could do.

Scott gave a coaching lesson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back