Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta say, I can’t sit with the notion this loss is on Bell. Simply ignorant. Every player in the squad will have moments they want to take back that might have changed a one point loss. Every bombed kick into a forward line played a roll. Every missed tackle, every poor decision etc etc. we lost this one as a team, even Lewis in not individually responsible!, we lost this as a team.
damn straight. He ran to dangerous spots and should've kicked 3. Papley should have kicked 5. Buddy shoulda kicked 4. Wicks shoulda kicked a couple. Woulda shoulda coulda didn't.
I hope this is the making of Bell. He'll never be a great kick, but neither was Brett Kirk. Yet he rarely wasted a ball and when in range rarely missed. Bell has a great body for AFL. If he has the work rate and dedication, he could be great for us in the years ahead.

Hard not to lose faith in the Swans as a finals team

2012 win GF

since then:
2013 - Demoralised by top 4 teams twice, only won against 9th placed Carlton
2014 - Demoralised in grand final
2015 - 7.18 in a QF lost by 9 points, out in straight sets to Norf
2016 - questionable umpiring, still lost most metrics to a lesser team
2017 - Demoralised in semi final
2018 - Demoralised against the Giants, didn't kick a goal for 2 quarters
2021 - 7 straight behinds to lose by a point with all the momentum
We still had to win at least two finals each year to make the GF in 2014 & 2016 & we also were on the way down with the list because of the factors out of our control (CoLA, Trade Ban).
Even the most pessimistic of supporters should see a huge improvement in things for our club.

Though they hurt all the same, they're completely unrelated. We had 10 players on Saturday who weren't in our last final in 2018. In 2016 we had 13 players who weren't in our 2012 premiership team.

So you've included three very different versions of Swans teams, which makes it hard to deduce any sort of systemic issue.
Corporate memory.

Defence - so we'll just have to be patient, and go to the draft?..So just how long ought we to wait?
Isn't Talia's situation at least worthy of further investigation?

Last edited:
Melican has been a frustrating player to me

But I thought he was actually not bad on Saturday

Bit surprised he’s copped a bit , when he has gotten a pass for worse efforts

If the balls flying in not much he can do

He was excellent in the last , made a dumb decision late I guess

Look is he going to be a star? No, but there’s something workable there imo , in a difficult to fill spot which helps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm ... i'll take the bait ... but if you really are calling me 'fair weather', wow, what a hero you must be ...
you seem so happy to be on here, like a few others, crowing in defeat? some of you lot really do seem to revel in it ...
i haven't bothered to post since the game, after trying to wade through the abysmal sulking and sniping and unpleasant personal crud that's been posted on this board ...
and yes, because it was a gutting way to lose, and a great opportunity blown ...

but if you want a silver lining, compare the two eliminated teams, us and essendon, two of the best young, improving squads in the league ...
we trailed by 29 early third quarter, after being clearly the better side in the first term and simply not capitalising ...
from the time the giants kicked that first goal early third quarter we were the better side, and as many have pondered, how we didn't win it in the last is just one of those infuriating puzzles of sport ...

on sunday essendon matched it with the dogs deep into the third quarter, still within three goals and in the match at the last change ...
but in that last term they went to water, blown away by a team that went into finals in the worst form of all eight ...
the difference between our effort and theirs was stark, and a reminder of what a friggin great club we support ...
No way was i talking about you , haven't got a problem , even if we disagree at times . I don't know why you thought this.

Who was and is rubbish. Talia at least has been A grade
To put it bluntly so Melican isn’t starting. Talia is also a very good player when fit
Except he's had a whole year off, couldn't get onto the park. And he was dropping off already in 2020.

If we were throwing all our eggs into next year's basket, you could understand bringing in a bunch of speculative/used to be good/maybe they can play guys and hope the planets align. But this sort of russian roulette will only work so often e.g. Hickey, and it's not evidence that clicking through the chambers will keep on working out (Hickey was a surer bet as he actually played footy last year). Bringing in Talia, even on small coin (which won't happen if his medical reports suggest he'll be ok, he'll have other clubs after him), takes someone else's spot and just kicks the can down the road by 2 years, when we should be thinking longer term if we want a long run at finals.

Except he's had a whole year off, couldn't get onto the park. And he was dropping off already in 2020.

If we were throwing all our eggs into next year's basket, you could understand bringing in a bunch of speculative/used to be good/maybe they can play guys and hope the planets align. But this sort of russian roulette will only work so often e.g. Hickey, and it's not evidence that clicking through the chambers will keep on working out. Bringing in Talia, even on small coin (which won't happen if his medical reports suggest he'll be ok, he'll have other clubs after him), takes someone else's spot and just kicks the can down the road by 2 years, when we should be thinking longer term if we want a long run at finals.
I agree. I think the recruitment team would be scouring everyone else's lists looking for a potential KPD who isn't getting a game yet and is around the 24-26yo mark, otherwise we are just getting rejects, cast-offs and has-beens (and I say that with a lot of respect, actually) who will clog up our list even further.

To put it bluntly so Melican isn’t starting. Talia is also a very good player when fit

Talia for melican I bet the crows say yes every time

Talia is done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back