Autopsy 2021 Swans Vs Giants Elimination Final. Lost by 1 point

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

'Eye training' is one area that I think has the potential to improve decision making.

Not uncommon in baseball, but the article above is a project with a Liverpool and England player, already renowned for his passing ability, and achieved notable improvement.

Another longer article on the same topic and player;
Toby Greene might benefit.

The obvious one is buddy
Marked in range

He took his time he looked for no other options and went back

He has killed off any chance for a pass then he missed

He is paid the big bucks to nail that shot

The obvious one is buddy
Marked in range

Agreed. We can hang the young ones like yeah what was McInerney thinking trying a dribbler from there and Wicks had more time than he realised to straighten up. Bell's were unforgivable. But that was Buddy's moment and truth be told he wasn't even close. He missed by at least a metre and a half and it also looked like it barely made the distance too. The blood's not supposed to be pumping for a champion like him playing his 25th final. He needed to be better.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
... and thus endeth the 2021 season.

Alas, it shall be remembered for:

1. Brand's handball; and
2. Bell's set shot.

But both will be confined to the dim dark past by 2022, as a Logan McDonald / Braeden Campbell-inspired Swans finish top 2 & quickly dispatch Essendon & the Brave Dogs, before a thumping 60 point GF victory over a hapless GWS (missing the suspended Tony Greene).

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
... and thus endeth the 2021 season.

Alas, it shall be remembered for:

1. Brand's handball; and
2. Bell's set shot.

But both will be confined to the dim dark past by 2022, as a Logan McDonald / Braeden Campbell-inspired Swans finish top 2 & quickly dispatch Essendon & the Brave Dogs, before a thumping 60 point GF victory over a hapless GWS (missing the suspended Tony Greene).
You forgot to mention how Buddy got reported the week before finals, but gets off and plays a starring role vs the Dons.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
There is a small glimmer of goodness in our loss so good luck to Tom and the other Swans players who have pregnant wives/partners.

PS: Finals are always in September so remember that when you or your partner get amorous around Christmas and New Years give it a break and enjoy the best weeks of your footy life in September or occasionally October.

Cheers to all Swans players, coaches and staff.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
There is a small glimmer of goodness in our loss so good luck to Tom and the other Swans players who have pregnant wives/partners.

PS: Finals are always in September so remember that when you or your partner get amorous around Christmas and New Years give it a break and enjoy the best weeks of your footy life in September or occasionally October.

Yah, this board was blowing up at the potential of losing Hickey, hopefully not a problem next year hahaha

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
"Bad kicking is bad football" if you have a set shot 20 metres out and miss its ordinary. Bell should have kicked the goal. I doubt he purposely tried to miss the goal and hit the post because that would rely on a level of skill beyond him. Given Heeney was kicking from tight angles the conditions didn't impact him and is just an excuse for others. At the end of the day some players aren't up to it. Bell isn't AFL standard. No amount of goal kicking practice will change it. Nothing to do with rotten luck.
I have seen Heeney miss similar shots to Bell's this season. As bad as Bell's miss was, there has probably been 50 players throughout the course of the year who have missed from 20-25 meters out dead in front. Fair to say that Daniher has no better than a 30% success rate from there.
Are they all not up to AFL standard.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
The simple reality is that most AFL footballers are pretty ordinary at taking set shots at goal. There are very few who I would put my house on to kick the goal if it's around 25-30 meters out. This is a major reason why scoring is at an all time low.
The reason is that most of them have very poor technique. When you watch them walk/run to take the kick, most will deviate 15-20 degrees to the right (for a right footer) and then try to hook the ball back that 15-20 degrees. In more cases than not, the ball goes exactly on the same line as where there run in was going.
The only way to change this is by having hundreds of shots each week with video analysis. Set up witches hats so that you can't run off at an angle. The problem with this is that all AFL club's training regimes are timed to the second by sports scientists who then tell the coaches that "No, Joe Blow can't take all those shots at goal now because that will overburden his workload" crap.
As a result, we will continue to have forwards who can run up and down the ground all day, but continue to miss straight forward shots at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
The simple reality is that most AFL footballers are pretty ordinary at taking set shots at goal. There are very few who I would put my house on to kick the goal if it's around 25-30 meters out. This is a major reason why scoring is at an all time low.
The reason is that most of them have very poor technique. When you watch them walk/run to take the kick, most will deviate 15-20 degrees to the right (for a right footer) and then try to hook the ball back that 15-20 degrees. In more cases than not, the ball goes exactly on the same line as where there run in was going.
The only way to change this is by having hundreds of shots each week with video analysis. Set up witches hats so that you can't run off at an angle. The problem with this is that all AFL club's training regimes are timed to the second by sports scientists who then tell the coaches that "No, Joe Blow can't take all those shots at goal now because that will overburden his workload" crap.
As a result, we will continue to have forwards who can run up and down the ground all day, but continue to miss straight forward shots at goal.

Combination of technique and changed game styles I think.
I recall Peter Hudson saying in an interview that he practised running in straight, swinging his leg straight, and dropping the ball straight.
Look at Lockett and Dunstall kick - everything is straight.
OTOH they never ran like the players today. It is very hard to execute a skill when short of breath. Once fatigue sets in, skill levels decrease. The forwards nowadays might get a set shot after multiple 50 - 80m sprints. If you are knackered you probably don't think you will get the distance, and therefore the deviation to the right, then the kick across the body for power.
Can't remember when (v North?) but Dunstall said he was watching Reid slot goal after goal pre game - then Reid in the game went out of bounds from the same spot.
So the skill is there. Therefore it must be either fatigue or nerves.
The training therefore should include set shots when fatigued.

The obvious one is buddy
Marked in range

Yep agreed.
I don't hang the loss on any one particular player, there were hundreds of things through the course of the game that contributed to the final score, but Buds paid the big bucks to kick the big goals on the big stage in the big moments

AND HE FAILED.

Yep agreed.
I don't hang the loss on any one particular player, there were hundreds of things through the course of the game that contributed to the final score, but Buds paid the big bucks to kick the big goals on the big stage in the big moments

AND HE FAILED.

For whatever reason the natural swing to the left he gets from long range kicks did not happen.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

very good, thoughtful post ...

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Getting a bit of distance from this heartbreaking loss and I'm starting to think maybe it's for the better in the long term.

Maybe, all things considered, finishing sixth was about right for where this iteration is truthfully at.

Going deep into September, even nabbing a flag, would have been wonderful and I certainly wouldn't have complained, but with our young crew, might have been too much success too soon. Flash-in-the-pan maybe.

This will burn, and may prove to be the foundation for a more sustained success.

(“Sob”.)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Getting a bit of distance from this heartbreaking loss and I'm starting to think maybe it's for the better in the long term.

Maybe, all things considered, finishing sixth was about right for where this iteration is truthfully at.

Going deep into September, even nabbing a flag, would have been wonderful and I certainly wouldn't have complained, but with our young crew, might have been too much success too soon. Flash-in-the-pan maybe.

This will burn, and may prove to be the foundation for a more sustained success.

(Sob.)
Will be 7th as GWS go ahead now mate

Cor isn’t AFL level
Melican isn’t AFL level
Bell isn’t vfl level

I quite like COR and think his AFL level.

Melican has shown he is AFL level before but needs a run of games (honestly don't think he was as bad as some are saying either here, but we should have swapped him and McCartin around).

Agree on Bell, he tries his best which is all well and fine but I struggle to see the up side (he has done well as an inside mid at reserves level but yet to see him at seniors there though).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back