Autopsy Swans Vs Giants Rnd 18 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

it was nice to watch a game involving a sam reid and not have PTSD

one of them helped set up a goal ... no other kind of handball would've worked in that moment, he had to loop it over an oncoming giant ...
i thought it showed vision and instinctive reaction in a split second

In fact the goal that kick started our run.

Luke Parker has Swans goal of the week

Isaac Heeney has tackle of the week

Luke Parker has Swans goal of the week
I like that they thought outside the square.

No doubt that Paps dribble goal from the boundary was more spectacular/outrageous, but I like that they acknowledged Luke seizing the moment.
Mark and goal on the siren to maintain our momentum. :thumbsu:

Coaches votes;

Screenshot_2021-07-19  AFLCA Champion Player of the Year - AFL Coaches Association Awards - AF...png
Overall I thought we had a good spread of contributors.
Different voting structure in the Skilton Medal where five of the coaches can allocate up to 10 votes for each player.
I'm tipping the votes internally will be a lot closer and a few players such as Errol, Blakey and McCartin will be right up there with guys like Luke & Paps.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay and did anyone notice when McInerney was wrongly said to have thrown the ball, that the commentators said the umpires have been calling a lot more throws lately?

So they just had a random bad day when they missed all the Bulldogs throws last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched the replay and did anyone notice when McInerney was wrongly said to have thrown the ball, that the commentators said the umpires have been calling a lot more throws lately?

So they just had a random bad day when they missed all the Bulldogs throws last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be fair, on first viewing I thought it was a clear throw as well.

One player who I don't think is getting enough credit this season is Cunningham. Really coming into his own, solid every game, rarely turns it over, good decision making, applies both run with the ball and pressure without it. Very, very important player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes;

View attachment 1181375
Overall I thought we had a good spread of contributors.
Different voting structure in the Skilton Medal where five of the coaches can allocate up to 10 votes for each player.
I'm tipping the votes internally will be a lot closer and a few players such as Errol, Blakey and McCartin will be right up there with guys like Luke & Paps.
22 players (George has his first coaches votes this week) with 9 players 22 or under

Haw
Bye
Total
U22
Callum Mills​
10​
1​
2​
7​
4​
3​
10​
37​
Tom Hickey​
7​
4​
3​
10​
1​
3​
3​
3​
34​
Luke Parker​
10​
8​
6​
32​
Isaac Heeney​
3​
1​
9​
10​
4​
27​
Lance Franklin​
9​
8​
3​
1​
23​
Jordan Dawson​
4​
4​
2​
10​
20​
Tom McCartin​
5​
3​
8​
16​
*​
Tom Papley​
7​
1​
16​
Jake Lloyd​
5​
4​
4​
13​
Oliver Florent​
2​
3​
7​
12​
*​
Sam Wicks​
10​
10​
*​
Errol Gulden​
7​
2​
9​
*​
Sam Reid​
8​
8​
Josh Kennedy​
2​
2​
2​
8​
Dane Rampe​
2​
4​
6​
Braeden Campbell​
5​
5​
*​
George Hewitt​
5​
Harry Cunningham​
1​
3​
4​
Chad Warner​
2​
2​
4​
*​
Justin McInerney​
2​
4​
*​
Hayden McLean​
1​
1​
2​
*​
Will Hayward​
1​
1​
*​

Leaderboard
85 Marcus Bontempelli WB
85 Clayton Oliver MELB
83 Touk Miller GCFC
83 Samuel Walsh CARL
80 Ollie Wines PORT
75 Jack Steele STK

Last edited:
Finally found some words after watching the replay and the media etc.

To say how proud I am to be a Swans supporter is an understatement. The mental, emotional toll of being moved from home, to hotel, to hotel, all with only minimal hours notice, not knowing where you're playing the next day, to key players being pulled from the team an hour before a game, players who played the day before being pulled out of the shower and told to chuck ther boots in a bag and get in an uber. All of these things just bring a club together.

The game? Boy oh boy. I think Mills and Cunningham out late just threw a spanner in the works and it took a good qtr plus to sort themselves out. Cunningham out meant Dawson couldn't really go forward, that meant Stephens really could only play wing when he came on, meant JPK had to get his hands on the ball a bit more, Parker couldn't really drift forward.

Though McInerney and Blakey were great, again. Blakey seems to be relishing in actually having time to think about what he want to do with the ball. Still question marks about the actual defensive role of that position, but hey, we can say the same thing about Lloyd.

Buddy/Papley just awesome. Stood up when they needed to.

Thought Heeney/Florent were pretty poor. Same as Rowbottom. He didn't have a touch until the final minutes of the second qtr.

Gulden showed off his elite field kicking yet again. Hewett came good in the second half.

The question now is...can we actually win out the rest of the season? We will go in as favourites in every game. Think Freo/Essendon games are the only ones that are most suscectible as both of them need to win. The rest, Saints should be done by then, then North and Gold Coast. Brisbane have to play Freo you would assume over there. Port have a showdown and need to play Dogs. Anything can happen. Our 6th spot was consolidated with some massive help from other teams below us falling over, so us falling into the top 4 would go with the script. From there? Who knows.

After the First Quarter it was a case of the Giants by how many, zero intensity from the Swans and 100% intensity from GWS.
Football isn't a complicated game, if don't show up mentally , you are going to be well beaten. That was clearly on the show for the opening quarter.
Second quarter, managed to get back in it and keep pace with GWS before the late goals gave Sydney some momentum.
Third quarter was a mirror image of the first , Giants dropped in intensity and Sydney lifted significantly.
Final quarter , responded to the early GWS goal and then kept them at arms length to finish of the game.
🐴 often talks about stemming opposition momentum and getting it back on your own terms. Last night was a prefect example of that, just as you say. Final quarter we toyed with them. Put the comp on notice.
Enjoy that, then get ready for the next one.
Six from 6 will be perfect!

I think unless someone has a love interest who can't move interstate, or maybe a slowly dying parent, the Go Home factor is a load of BS.

News to me that a lad in the prime of their life with an amazing job earning ten times what most people earn, with professional staff on hand to address every aspect of their lives, who "goes home" regularly anyway for work, and is in most cases only a 70 min flight away from home, still needs their mum to run their life. In my time I loved my mum but I was quite capable of living o/s for years. And that was well before FaceTime.

Anyway probs for another thread. And definitely not to be mentioned next time an opposition supporter gets in high dudgeon about CoLA.
I lived O/S for 4 years. 2 in Malaysia, 2 in Germany. Never missed the physical home much, but did miss my kids (18 and 21 at the start). Malaysia wasn't too bad because the time zone was close and I got home for work occasionally.
Germany was harder because of the time difference and I only got home once in 2 years. Towards the end I missed my kids really badly and was glad to go home.
And I had lived away from home since 11yo! It can happen.

He's a bit older but in terrific physical shape. Durable as anything. Hope he gets at least 2 years.
also Fox can play as a tall or as a run with defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back