Autopsy Swans Vs Giants Rnd 18 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah looking back, that was really important. I remember at half time the margin being 16 points and mentally it seemed we were in a better spot than first thought.

I watched the first one and a half quarters and then had to go to dinner so stopped watching. Got a text from my non-Swans supporting dad saying "Carn Swans" 20 minutes later during half time and couldn't fathom why he would rub something like this in so cruelly. Then I checked the score and realised the comeback was on!

Hey all! I collect Swans player training guernseys (a few examples below), so if you have anything like that and are open to selling please contact me (toddandtheoes@gmail.com). Good $$ paid for the right items. Cheers!
I have a signed Papley training shirt that I got for $70 in his first year - the cheapest one of the whole team at the time o_O

Wouldn't sell it for a million!
Why did I respond you ask? Just a chance to boast really :tearsofjoy:

Hewett and Dawson need to get new contracts get them signed up. Blakey I thought was going to be played in the vfl for the rest of the year until we can work out what to do with him. Has been thrown in just about everywhere and suddenly shows what he can do.
Heeney I can see the frustration with some posters on here , barely sighted early on then turns it on big time.
Amartey didn't have his best game but I like his physicality in the ruck and his second efforts are top notch. If he gets in a pack I don't remember him being outmarked normally gets it to ground. Reid will probably come in for him but as a back up he has great potential.
Bell did what Bell does when he broke the shepherd to pressure the giants defender which ended up in Wicks goal. I have no idea if he will really develop as an AFL player but you can never knock his effort.
Nice to see Parker and JP get right into it and Papley and Buddy get on the scoreboard.
Overall a great win my only concern is that when we drop the pressure it seems to be for a full quarter. Not sure we will get away with it in finals.

Overall a great win my only concern is that when we drop the pressure it seems to be for a full quarter. Not sure we will get away with it in finals.
It feels like a lot of our winning game plan revolves around outlasting the opposition. A lot of teams come out hard in the first quarter and get the jump on us but we manage to grind them down by the end of the 4th. Think of it like a long-distance race. If we tried to match them we'd lose that competitive advantage. Best bet would be to throw some extras back and try to weather the storm until they slow down, usually by the second quarter. Top teams like Melbourne seem to pace themselves better so we can go with them the whole game.

I think what sticks out to me most about this game is just how easily we ultimately ran over the top of them. Sure, GWS have been inconsistent this year, but they are still meandering around the 8, and historically we've struggled against them.

The fact that we were at one point 34 points down, and that at no point in the second half was I even shitting bricks is so telling. Almost unprecdented in Swans recent history.

The players have so much belief in the gameplan, and in one another and it really shows. We didn't scrap and claw our way back, we managed to execute our gameplan, and completely demolished GWS over more than a half of football. The more I reflect on it, that was a special win over a pretty special month of football for the club.

Not to be a negative nancy, but just want to point out that many of the same people that are death-riding Stephens would have told you Blakey was no good and not going to make it at AFL level a month ago or so. Likewise Hayward last year.
Also, to briefly come back to this point, the irony of this is that if you go back to the end of last year on this board, Stephens was getting similar praise to Hayward now, who was being comparatively written off. A lot can change in a season of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, to briefly come back to this point, the irony of this is that if you go back to the end of last year on this board, Stephens was getting similar praise to Hayward now, who was being comparatively written off. A lot can change in a season of footy.

Yep Hayward looked completely lost but now his aerial marking has been superb.

Can only comment what you see at the time.

Yep Hayward looked completely lost but now his aerial marking has been superb.

Can only comment what you see at the time.
Oh, I agree. I just think we're far too quick to death-ride players on this board.

I think what sticks out to me most about this game is just how easily we ultimately ran over the top of them. Sure, GWS have been inconsistent this year, but they are still meandering around the 8, and historically we've struggled against them.

The fact that we were at one point 34 points down, and that at no point in the second half was I even shitting bricks is so telling. Almost unprecdented in Swans recent history.

The players have so much belief in the gameplan, and in one another and it really shows. We didn't scrap and claw our way back, we managed to execute our gameplan, and completely demolished GWS over more than a half of football. The more I reflect on it, that was a special win over a pretty special month of football for the club.

Not me. I was passing a Besser block.

Not me. I was passing a Besser block.
Guess I just have lots of faith in this team hahaha.

But also, guess it helps that we're overachieving, and lots of our wins have just been bonuses. Not like 2017 where we basically had to win every week to achieve our expected result for the season after our awful start.

It feels like a lot of our winning game plan revolves around outlasting the opposition. A lot of teams come out hard in the first quarter and get the jump on us but we manage to grind them down by the end of the 4th. Think of it like a long-distance race. If we tried to match them we'd lose that competitive advantage. Best bet would be to throw some extras back and try to weather the storm until they slow down, usually by the second quarter. Top teams like Melbourne seem to pace themselves better so we can go with them the whole game.
Actually, I think you will find that our first quarter has been our best quarter for the year (apart from last week of course).

I made the comment just after the 2019 draft that I would have preferred it if we had taken Serong. When Serong went on to win last year's rising star, I was even more disappointed. I still would have preferred Serong however I do see aspects in Stephens that he will be a very good AFL footballer. I feel he needs another year or two in the gym and on the weights as he still doesn't have a body suitable as an AFL midfielder. He does have elite skills and when combined with Gulden, Dawson, Blakey and Campbell our ball use will be the best in the AFL.

Actually, I think you will find that our first quarter has been our best quarter for the year (apart from last week of course).
Nothing better to do so just checked.
We've actually been the most consistent team across all qtrs.

Q1 won 10 (best is WBDogs on 13) We rank = 5th
Q2 won 11 (best is Port on 12) We rank =2nd
Q3* won 11 (best is Freo* & Melb on 13) We rank = 4th * Who can forget.
Q4 won 10 (best is Geel & Ess on 11) We rank = 3rd

Whereas someone like GWS has won 12 1st qtrs, but only 5 2nd qtrs and WBDogs 13 1st qtrs, but won only 8 3rd qtrs.

For this coming week as mentioned above Freo have been best in the 3rd qtr winning 13, but poor in qtrs 1 & 4 (only 6 wins). They've won 9 2nd qtrs.

So hit them early.

Nothing better to do so just checked.
We've actually been the most consistent team across all qtrs.

Q1 won 10 (best is WBDogs on 13) We rank = 5th
Q2 won 11 (best is Port on 12) We rank =2nd
Q3* won 11 (best is Freo* & Melb on 13) We rank = 4th * Who can forget.
Q4 won 10 (best is Geel & Ess on 11) We rank = 3rd

Whereas someone like GWS has won 12 1st qtrs, but only 5 2nd qtrs and WBDogs 13 1st qtrs, but won only 8 3rd qtrs.

For this coming week as mentioned above Freo have been best in the 3rd qtr winning 13, but poor in qtrs 1 & 4 (only 6 wins). They've won 9 2nd qtrs.

So hit them early.
Just goes to prove that you shouldn't believe what you see on the tv. I'm sure it was said prior to one of our games that our first quarters had been one of the best in the league.

just watching the third quarter replay ... a great moment after wicks' tackle and before he kicks for goal, he's hoisted up by franklin, who then shoves taylor, who's still on his knees, but the ball rolls a metre or so, between the legs of three taller giants ... wicks ducks out from franklin and barges in between the three much bigger guys like he's really pissed off they're in his way, he shoves two of them and gets a half shove back but grabs up the ball and walks off in a "and don't fckng do it again" way ...
a month or so ago wicks might've gone on with it a bit, overdone the aggro ... not this time ... and he still imposed himself ... just as the team did over the next two quarters

just watching the third quarter replay ... a great moment after wicks' tackle and before he kicks for goal, he's hoisted up by franklin, who then shoves taylor, who's still on his knees, but the ball rolls a metre or so, between the legs of three taller giants ... wicks ducks out from franklin and barges in between the three much bigger guys like he's really pissed off they're in his way, he shoves two of them and gets a half shove back but grabs up the ball and walks off in a "and don't fckng do it again" way ...
a month or so ago wicks might've gone on with it a bit, overdone the aggro ... not this time ... and he still imposed himself ... just as the team did over the next two quarters

I did like that. Given his previous crunching tackles, he should have got tackle of the week.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not to be a negative nancy, but just want to point out that many of the same people that are death-riding Stephens would have told you Blakey was no good and not going to make it at AFL level a month ago or so. Likewise Hayward last year.

im not sure why a few ordinary half back games has made people jump on blakey .

50 pretty abysmal games of footy so far

im not sure why a few ordinary half back games has made people jump on blakey .

50 pretty abysmal games of footy so far
I reckon ordinary is selling his GWS game pretty short. Was awesome IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back