Autopsy Swans Vs Giants Rnd 18 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

im not sure why a few ordinary half back games has made people jump on blakey .

50 pretty abysmal games of footy so far

His first season was exciting and productive, he had second year blues where he struggled for direction and structure but still showed glimpses. The first half of this year was his only true bad patch, and now he's come back and played three of his best games in a new position.

I'm not sure why you are so dismissive of Blakey. If he hadn't played so many games he'd still be eligible for the rising star! And he's been an excellent spark off half back. You can admit that without walking back previous criticism.

im not sure why a few ordinary half back games has made people jump on blakey .

50 pretty abysmal games of footy so far
I reckon he's had about 10 brilliant games, 15 promising performances and 25 poor games. His last 3 I put in the brilliant category though. He could very well fizzle out but he really does add something which we've been lacking - some run and carry through the middle

Good as it was, and it was, Heeney's was something else.
We should ask the club to add tackle of the week to goal and mark. Make you go "oooh!"
Swans did have mark of the week, but they have not posted one the last few games.

Tommy just asked me to make sure nobody missed this. I love a bit of lair… sure sometimes players get carried away but take the good with the bad.
Im really loving the ride this year… taking a lot of joy from hearing our crowds living it up in the stands at every venue we play. Even in this clip of Papley, the roar is quite appreciable, especially given the time and location.
Also want to acknowledge the leaders of the Club for including the broader team into the victory song… that was the highlight of the day for me… absolute magic!

I have been meaning to comment for the last couple of weeks on the amazing cheering everyone has been giving our boys whilst they've been on the road.
Thought it was great v WC, then up a level to nearly match it v Dogs and then, especially considering it was such a small crowd at Metricon, the crowd noise was stunning!
Made me laugh that there was virtually silence (apart from the ground announcer gabbing on) after every GWS goal and cheering that belied the small crowd after we scored. The boys must feel so great when they hear that.

Keep it up guys, think it will be a long time till we get a game back in Sydney :(

I have been meaning to comment for the last couple of weeks on the amazing cheering everyone has been giving our boys whilst they've been on the road.
Thought it was great v WC, then up a level to nearly match it v Dogs and then, especially considering it was such a small crowd at Metricon, the crowd noise was stunning!
Made me laugh that there was virtually silence (apart from the ground announcer gabbing on) after every GWS goal and cheering that belied the small crowd after we scored. The boys must feel so great when they hear that.

Keep it up guys, think it will be a long time till we get a game back in Sydney :(
also, as a TV viewer, when a Swan has a kick for goal, from the TV angle you are unsure ........, you are sitting on the edge of your seat at home, wishing, but then you hear the loudest cheer from behind the goal, arms are up in the air, so before any commentator or umpire has called a goal. We as fans - TV or at the ground - get to yell and scream together.
Hmm, hope that made sense?
:heart: my Swans family near and far

My voice is almost back to normal now so I did my part. Hopefully be at freo game also

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Of all the great things Jordan Dawson has done in his first 60 odd games as a Swan, I think that tackle, locking both Taranto's arm and leg in place, might've been the best thing he's ever done. That was seriously friggin' genius and if he was a more appreciated player, it would've done it's rounds in the footy media, then trickled down to Auskick and grassroots footy where it would be taught as a brand new tackling technique called "the Dawson."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of all the great things Jordan Dawson has done in his first 60 odd games as a Swan, I think that tackle, locking both Taranto's arm and leg in place, might've been the best thing he's ever done. That was seriously friggin' genius and if he was a more appreciated player, it would've done it's rounds in the footy media, then trickled down to Auskick and grassroots footy where it would be taught as a brand new tackling technique called "the Dawson."

He's done it a few times this season but was specifically highlighted this game.

I really liked Stephens performance, he provided alot of overlap run and you could notice his quickness. I wasn't too fussed when he got caught with the ball as he's still learning and tried to back himself. You won't learn without trying!

Also think Heeney is where Papley was a few weeks ago, down on form and lacking confidence. A few times he was hesitant to kick or indecisive with his decision making where in the past he would back his skills and be crisp. He got through alot of the grunt work when moved onto the wing which was pleasing. If he keeps it up, he'll regain his confidence and form quickly.

Anyone got a clip of it? I loved watching that during the game. It was awesome!

Lucky the umpires didn’t report him for tripping!

Hickey goal 3rd quarter. That handball chain in defence when it looked like for all money they were gone is a thing of beauty.
Rampey- McInerney- McCartin :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

Hickey may have kicked it, but that goal was all due their work down back.

Last edited:
It feels like a lot of our winning game plan revolves around outlasting the opposition. A lot of teams come out hard in the first quarter and get the jump on us but we manage to grind them down by the end of the 4th. Think of it like a long-distance race. If we tried to match them we'd lose that competitive advantage. Best bet would be to throw some extras back and try to weather the storm until they slow down, usually by the second quarter. Top teams like Melbourne seem to pace themselves better so we can go with them the whole game.
It's kind of a long form rope-a-dope.

His first season was exciting and productive, he had second year blues where he struggled for direction and structure but still showed glimpses. The first half of this year was his only true bad patch, and now he's come back and played three of his best games in a new position.

I'm not sure why you are so dismissive of Blakey. If he hadn't played so many games he'd still be eligible for the rising star! And he's been an excellent spark off half back. You can admit that without walking back previous criticism.
Here, here. I've been a bit critical of Blakey once or twice, but it's never been a personal thing or uncalled for. More about helping him find his niche. He's never stopped working at it. His role off half back has been a revelation and has freed Dawson up as a long range attacking option, an ICBM. Blakey is the strong intercept mark we needed. He's got huge speed and is learning to use his dash and pinpoint kicks to break lines and open up the corriidor. Kudos to our coaches too for helping him find his niche. Blakey joins Hayward as someone who has gone from whipping boy to hero, finally showing the huge talent we had hoped to see, week in week out. They're both very young but they produce some exciting footy.

Not quietly at all, I've loved JPK's last month. Numbers-wise and just overall impact it's not a month of footy that will stand out in his great career (he's had 19, 22, 19 and 30 disposals) but he's been sooo clean. My one and only knock on him really in recent years has been a lack of composure, but his decision-making of late could not be better. He's just taking that important second or two before disposing of the ball and being really smart about it. Has been overshadowed by the huge numbers guys like Mills & Parker are posting, but he's showing that 19-22 possession games for him can become the new normal for him and he can still absolutely have a big impact with them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back